Saturday, October 22, 2005

Seemed like a good idea

Finishing up phase 4, no more cytarabine and what a finish I had with that poison. I got the last 4 shots this week, and the anti-nausea made it impossible to golf with the effects on vision. I tried anyway, and shot God knows what, I quit keeping score, but it was bad. So Friday I didn’t take the anti-nausea (Kytril) thinking I might like to try golfing, and I ended up puking for 3 hours instead. Smart. Didn’t that Doc way back there say the irradiation would make me stupider but I wouldn’t notice? I noticed yesterday. The dang cytarabine gave me a rash on my hips too, started last Sunday, itchy. Yesterday it turned into a red flush of my face, it looked like I was wearing rouge. I stayed in all day.

I am still at a mere 155 lbs, and puking didn’t help. I am actually sucking down weight gain supplements. Gotta call Balco, get the good stuff. And now I need to find some new gang to golf with; the low handicappers are tired of me hanging with them, searching for my ball(s). Subtle messages, like ‘You should golf with so-and-so’. Ah well, we should all have these problems.

Dana and I have found a contractor to do the kitchen redo, and we will start next spring when the rains stop, yeehaw. She lies abed with a new cold, making me ponder a flu shot.

The last phase is coming up, but lasts until 2 years after diagnosis so until Feb. ’07. Vincristine IV ofnumbing juice day 1 of each month, 5 days of steroid pills, methotrexate pills once a week, and mercaptopurine pills every day. Not too bad.

Where to go for the 20th anniversary? We were thinking Mexico, but Wilma is changing that idea. I think Dana will push for Paris, and I am wanting tropical, but tropical is getting relentlessly smacked with weather, so Paris is nice. And the dollar is sure strong against the euro. Uh, thanks George, gotta keep those SUV sales into Europe strong. Not and Not. The guys a real thinker. Forget Paris on second thought, 45% more expensive than in ’01 and it wasn’t cheap then.

Maurice and Pat, where are you? Hope you brought wetsuits and boards, gonna be good waves in FLA. Oh yeah, for any of you goombahs going to Las Vegas, look at a map. I can be there in 7 hours, and I have the time and the inclination. You can win money from me golfing. Yes, Bill, I am talking to you. Sheesh. this boring life is freaking boring, and pushing me closer to radical thought and action. I am going to have start my Big Book of Intelligent Designs. Are there unintelligent designs? If it was designed, there must have been intelligence applied, no? Great article in Esquire this month, Idiot America, check it out.

12 comments:

  1. Colon cancer is next on my list, if I can avoid bladder cancer. Runs in the family. I enjoy a good colonoscopy, but the sigmoidoscope reminds me of prison. I can't really believe any cancer could be left inside me, but then everything they give you is a carcinogen, for crying out loud, so did the odds get better or worse? Worse, but I am still here and feeling OK, so hoop-de-doo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has my blog become an advertising site? Looks like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intelligent Design. Yeah, we need more of that. I always wanted to meet the asshole who designed the vertical bathroom papertowel holders - the ones that have a few hundred papertowels stacked on top of each other and there's so much pressure from above that you either pull out about 87 of them at once - or the one you want just tears in half. Why have we not boycotted those f-ing things? I am calling for all the bathrooms users of America to pull out as many towels as possible from that shitty (pun intended) design and trash the bathrooms with them. Perhaps the waste will force a change. Hey, maybe we can pull out the dispensers and send them all to North Korea. Let those dickheads try to figure them out. Plus, it may keep Kim Jong Il busy for a decade or so. Maybe we'll soon see an ad for new design right here on your ad blog.
    Sorry about the golf buddy. If I was playing poorly my regular golf buddies would do anything to keep me in the group - thereby raking my sorry ass and taking all my catfood money to replinish their own coffers. Heartless bastards they are.
    Colonoscapy vs. sigmoidocsopy. Reminds me of the first time I had the latter done. There I am bending over the table in humiliation while the Doc and Assistant are whispering of something else they need to complete the procedure. So now I have to stay there with my brown eye exposed while the Asst. goes for the missing object. When he comes back, he's got a beer in his hand and the Doc says, "No Harry! Christ, I said we needed a butt light."
    Keep hanging in there John. We all continue to be so impressed with your outlook and gumption.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac, you are truly a crack up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Johnny (no offense John) is getting to the age of recognition between the sexes and starts hearing stories in first grade about all the possibilities of where babies come from. As he walks by Mom and Dad's room one evening, he hears a little commotion going on in there. He peeks in and sees Mom, shall we say, engaged in a little of Dad's ultimate oral pleasing event. Little Johnny gets pretty excited, thinking he may have solved this little pubescent mystery and says, "Mom, is that where babies come from?" Mom says, "No Johnny, that's where jewelry come from."
    Gettin cooler in Bama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quit playing the skins game with these guys when I made my comeback, and rightly so. Not carrying a handicap and they aren't generous. Pretty damn cold here lately, about 50 right now, overcast, huge surf like double to triple overhead and no I didn't go. Just took the last dose of thioguanine. Cool. Puts a fire in my belly. Just noticed they list a rare side effect of unsteady gait - I have that!

    Sorry about the comment cops, but the spammers are on to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. always said you ask the tough questions--pat and maurice where are you? we have no idea--hid out from Wilma behind the bahamas somewhere and now are floating indefinitely off the coast of Florida until a port reopens, at which time we can find out that the airlines are closed...
    as you said, ah well, we should all have these problems...we are on a cruise ship, one love, one heart, lets all get together and have a good time
    but I sure wish Mac could get those operatives he sent after Dana's blackmail correspondence way back and somehow bust us out of here--guess there are not seals who rescue the stupid, huh?

    JOhn you'd love to do some wakeboarding off this baby, and this being my second honeymoon (the first hurricane bob) my advice to you regarding your anniversary: HOW ABOUT HOME?!!!!

    happy anniversary

    love


    pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat,
    Very glad you're all okay. Nothing like adding a little excitement to your vacation. Please do be so kind as to keep us all informed of any future travel plans; it's good to know when to stay home.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  9. click. click.
    there's no place like home.
    Mac we are back and you are safe to travel now.
    We landed in port of Miami wednesday am and got home by 3am thursday...after a brief 3 hour disembarkation, 10 minutes to smoke a cuban cigar under a wind-blown palm tree and a 2 1/2 hour ride down alligator alley through the swamps to an open airport in ft. meyers.
    our plane from Atlanta had us tricked into thinking we were actually going to make it to Providence by midnight but 75 miles out the de-icers broke down and the windshield cracked, allowing us to see the Atlanta airport for the 3rd time this week.
    Vinny didn't call for a ride home until we had slept 2 hours, so that was a luxury and one of the fringe benefits is that my house is still rocking.
    If I may quote one of all of our favorite authors,
    "it seemed like a good idea"...
    I can't wait to go back to work!!!
    If anybody would like to hear more details of the cruise itself or our itinterary visiting the Rodney Dangerfield family reunion I mean Coco-Cay, just let me know and I'll be happy to send a more comprehensive travelogue.
    geeze I hope the requests don't take up the whole blog...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat,
    Please Miss May I Have More?
    Great day for golf in Bamaland.
    Later

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pat,
    Please, please fill in the details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://mary-elizabethsbump.blogspot.com/ This is the link to our blog about ALL my 13 year old's journey.

    It has been good to read some of your posts. It has been hard to get my 13 year old to explain some of her deepest fears about all of this. I may let her read this when she is a bit older.

    ReplyDelete