Sunday, May 21, 2006

Reality is for those that can't handle drugs

This reality thing is not all it's cracked up to be. My house is a shambles, kitchen gone, dining room gone, computer room gone. It rained about an inch today, and I had to squeegee water off the slab so it didn't get under the hardwood flooring that remains. We are eating off plastic plates and bowls, and doing any dishes in the bathroom sink.

My health is fine, same old same old, take the pills, drink the water, pee pee pee. I spent last week in Reno, at the main office of my new job. We decided to call me Director of Operations for TEC SLO. TEC Reno is about 18 years old, an engineering firm that does land and water resource planning, engineering consulting, design and planning, surveying, and some other stuff. TEC SLO is only about 15 months old and does the consulting, design and planning, and survey stuff for now. TEC had picked up a big job here and decided to open the SLO office, and now has grown to the point where they need someone like me to bring order to the chaos. Kind of a harmonics/resonance thing, know what I'm saying? Check us out at http://www.thiel-engineering.com/.

We still can't nail the windows and doors guys down, and this is getting critical. Dana has rearranged the kitchen plan so much I am thinking of just doing it out of Legos, couldn't be that much more expensive. We had the big yard sale and made about $750 bucks selling what I originally paid $10,000 for, but hey, now I have room for plastic spoons in my garage/kitchen!

Tomorrow will be my first full day in the new office, so it should be interesting meeting the people. My boss, the CFO, is coming down from Reno with another of the owners tomorrow, so we'll have some meetings and lunches and grind out some decisions. Mike B. wanted me to watch the office to prep for going back to office life, but I am always ready to tell people what they should be doing, ask any Republican! Where the heck is Osama bin Laden, anyway?

My friend Cindy just had a kidney taken out, seems there was a little malignancy in there, so please everyone send her some positive thougths of whatever type you have, some chi, some reiki, some oon yellymon. She will be fine, they got it all and it was very early, and they threw in the liposuction and butt tuck at no extra charge! She's ten pounds lighter already! I shoulda got the blepharoplasty when I was in, I had a coupon 2 eyes for the price of 1, I could've gotten rid of the baggage terminals under my eyes. Oh well, better to grow older than to not grow older, I think. Isn't it? I found this poem by Ogden Nash, one of my favorites for a humorous poem, but I didn't find this one all that funny.

Old Men
People expect old men to die,

They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when ...
People watch with unshocked eyes;
But the old men know when an old man dies.

This from the same Ogden Nash, more typical

Lines on Facing Forty
I have a bone to pick with fate,

Come here and tell me girly,
Do you think my mind is maturing late,
Or simply rotting early.

6 comments:

  1. Oh cool - more poemry.
    So glad you're feeling well and gettin into that new career John. Best of luck with that. It's truly a milestone that's deserving of the highest accolades. You Da Man!
    The reality thing is always a challenge, isn't it? I don't know why my roof shingles keep blowing off in the wind. Or why the dentist thinks I should be solely responsible for putting one of his kids through college. Or why my customers think I should work for nothing. And why do parts of the soles of my shoes simply fall away from the side? I don't even walk on that part. Geez, it's 2006. Can't they make good shingles and shoes yet? What the hell is that about????
    Growing older. Yeah, it's definitely better to than not. I keep reminding myself that I need to take a moment each morning to be thankful that I woke up on the right side of the grass one more time. For some reason it's just a hard thing to remember once one's up and about. And the older I get, it appears the first thing that comes to mind when one awakes is the focus on what part of the body hurts today. Whatyagonnado?
    Tell your friend Cindy we're yellin "Roll Tide" for her down here in Bamaland.
    Poemry By Mac
    Starvin myself to lose some lbs
    Above my belt
    Too many rounds
    How did I get ta 206
    Who put that on me
    I'll find those pri@*#

    ReplyDelete
  2. More Poemry

    Too many rounds at Taco Bell
    Have given me the waistline from Hell
    I’ll have to find another place to dine
    Or God forbid, give up my wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, you are doing it all--drugs AND reality, making order at work, demo-chaos at home...
    all I can think is those yin/yang gizmos you were making in early rehab days are still having a powerful effect!

    as for the age thing, I went to the California Authors website to make sure I get this quote right--when my favorite writer (except for you) Saroyan was dying, he got one last word onto the AP wire from his hospital bed
    "everybody has got to die but I always believed an exception would be made in my case. now what? "

    me,I thought only the other people were going to get older...hey. wait a minute, guess I could add partner-up, turn into parents--my god this is getting discouraging! I gotta start stringing some jade or something

    I feel young inside my head
    but there's an old guy in my bed
    I fly in the water and feel light
    but my surf-pal's hair is turning white
    but I know I have a long time to go
    otherwise how could I be so slow

    ps. sending the good vibe to Cindy and hoping to hear that Lisa is also still out of club-med..Lisa, how bout a little poemry, don't make Mac keep going

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat,
    I have to fess up - I am the Taco Bell author. I just forgot to add my moniker..
    My mind is going, this is true
    and it is not from sniffing glue
    Out of club med, no drugs to be had
    But this reality is not so bad
    My midriff bulge keeps me afloat
    Don't need no life jacket on my boat
    Out on the waves I am good bait
    But I am not ready for that fate
    Got things to do and places to go
    and another summer in Idaho

    Pat, this was really a stretch for my limited Poemry skills. Hope it will hold you over for awhile.
    Ditto on the good vibe to Cindy...

    Mac, passing it back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry about that--and guess I can forget that career in literary forensics--
    the WINE should have given it away...isn't that what you go to Idaho for?
    ok, to make it up to you, I am submitting a second stanza

    usually my memory is up to speed
    I easily recall what I do not need
    it's my mirror that does not work quite right
    the things that look back sometimes give me a fright
    I expect to see beauty and many charms
    but WHOA how'd they get here?!--my grandmother's arms
    and let's not even go to the hu-mil-it-ty
    that you learn when you can't even laugh without pee.

    hope everybody enjoys the long weekend--it is a holiday when all americans go outside and eat off paper plates like the Fiores

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog, it made me pee.
    I have the same problem, unfortunately.
    I can no longer sneeze, I’m much too hot,
    My memory’s begun to rot
    Who am I? This is not me.
    I have to go now, I have to pee.

    ReplyDelete