Saturday, June 06, 2009

Emotional breakthrough

Nothing left to say, nothing left to do. I've been too busy doing nothing to write a blog post. So, nothing doing from a do-nothing.
What has happened since May 10? Much ado about nothing. The damn mucositis has flared up more, so I am back on steroids, 20mg/day, and maybe for a long time, a year or two. The doc believes this is my gvhd, and I have to agree, and that is fine if all that is left is no hot or spicy foods. Minty toothpaste is like fire-eating. Sharp edges, as in chips and toast, are also painful. Consequently eating is not all that pleasurable and I am stuck under 160 pounds, even hit 155 if I don't focus.

I wrote this Tuesday morning, early:


'I woke at steroid-early, time to take some jangle extender, read the nonsense, and watch dawn in the chemo-red sky. I lie there pondering more sleep, but my brain is jumping through memories. I watch myself stand in the radiation booth and think, 'Don't move, be steady, hold on.' I don't want any stray bullets piercing my lungs. The machine across the room reminds me of the mouths of the sand worms in 'Dune' or 'Tremors', but it's the sound that sticks your hair on end, a sound of thousands of gees at work, and they will just do their work if you just stand still. I hold on to the handlebars and stay as steady as I can.

My wife is moving large volumes of air, so I think I can rise without waking her. I take a right at the foot of the bed, aiming for my sweats in the closet. Sometimes I get lost and end up at the door, and she wakes while I fumble around, and says 'What are you doing?' I tell her I am lost, but about then I find the closet and my sweats, then out the door and downstairs to start another day.'

I should be doing more stream of consciousness writing in the early hours.

I played 30 holes of golf back in May, and on hole 30 my left hip left in protest, and has been very slow to recover. No golf since. I have some plays on a ten-play card, but after those I will retire from golf until I get a hip. It was taking too much time and money, a fickle mistress that didn't put out, so what was the point? Humility? Despair? Hopelessness?

My house looks good now, since I have all this time for doing chores. I treated the older wood floor areas with a revitalizer, and they look great. I pruned up the trees by the creek and cleared out a lot of brush, improved our views, repotted a slew of pots, pruned a bunch, and organized John and Laura's stuff in the garage so I can still get to the weight set. I fought the dragon of Adobe Photoshop until I submitted to an upgrade, man I hate that program but I am committed now.

Last weekend (5/29-30) was the high schools 24 hour relay, and I was volunteered to be a parent participant, which meant being there for 25 hours straight and trying to stay out of the way. Imagine a few hundred kids drinking mass quantities of energy drinks and trying to impress each other, some for the last time. I tried to read and sleep, but it was loud and cold. Mike and some fellow musicians threw together a band and played a 45 minute set, Hendrix, King Crimson Epitaph, Leggy Blonde, War Pigs, Wanna Be, and more. Some of it rocks, some of it looks like a band that practiced twice. That is Mike on stage in the green shirt.






We have been busy also going to things like end of school year awards and concerts. Mike received a Golden Tiger for Outstanding Senior Choir student, Best Actor in a Musical, and then Outstanding Vocalist for 2009. Man, I am swelling up with pride.

9 comments:

  1. sorry about the steroids,John. Mine is for gvhd of the eyes. constant dry eye. I have another 9 months of prednisone unless I have a dramatic improvement in the eyes. Still stuck at 150 lbs despite lifting 3 days a week. It has to be the catabolic effects of the prednisone. Went back to work for a half day of training on Tuesday. That is what I will be doing for awhile, then hopefully I will actually pick up some paid part time work. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    Good to read your words again, I was starting to get impatient and some worried. Kind of tough one to respond to. I wish I could say I knew what you were going through, but that would be a mistruth on both accounts. I'd say be patient it takes the body a long time, maybe years to recover, to heal from the trauma, the intrusion. Maybe some of it is a gender thing. That's all I'll say about that. I hear you. Thanks for sharing some of your joys and sorrows with me.
    I was thinking, it might be a good time to join a tibetan monastery, and learn to play the flute. I have been intrigued by the circular breathing chanting that I have heard about, though I bet in three years one could become pretty good at the flute.

    Keep writing
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    A dose of steroids is nothing, compared with what you’ve gone through up to this point. Too bad about the hip being - not so hip. And so sorry it’s screwing with your golf game. Perhaps you’ll still be able to squeeze in nine holes here and there.

    Congratulations to Mike. What a cool kid!

    Do keep us posted.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear battle fatigued warrior

    won't you be my neighbor?

    that way if you got bored at your house, you could do some of that stuff at mine...

    glad to hear about the breakthrough, Mo really was missing you and your ability to speak his language. I am highly unqualified to come in after the 3 characters above--not only a different gender, but have barely survived living with a survivor.

    but as just a part time jill of many trades who daydreams ideas for everybody else in case I ever become a (paid) vocational counselor, this is my impression:
    time to retire from the ho-spice business and give some thought to working with veterans.

    if you were returning from Iraq instead of Stamford, there would at least be minimal support for the whole readjustment process and the effects of post-traumatic stress* on you and all around you.
    *why do they call it that? the "post" is wishful thinking

    maybe as you continue to find your way, and you WILL, you'd be a great guide to the returning.
    your documentaries have certainly provided the most meaningful attempts at translation in my own home.

    keep writing--harder to do but just as valuable when the daily isn't as dramatic.

    how come more readers don't comment? one thing for you to know you're not alone, but we at the blog bar like to know it, too

    ps. on a more important note, finally able to get into RI water this week. you been?
    love you, old pal
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you mention getting in the water, Beauch was pushing me to give it a go, but I think I am still too weak. And the water is too cold, and we are in cool fog season. Maybe in August when things heat up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wouldn't say this if I wasn't 3000miles away, but

    maybe you should listen to Beauch!
    wear a 3-4, don't even paddle out; even floating around on a boogey board be enough to remind you a bad day in is better than a good day out.

    couple weeks ago I was so desperate and it was so cold, I used an old outgrown pair of Vinny's boots with my el cheapo suit. oh my god, how do you get them off? I told some people on the beach I was training for midwifery,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seeing the doc tomorrow, and I have to ask about the dry eyes, because it seems I keep getting filmy pieces of skin in my eyes. I suspect the doc will up my prednisone, what with the mucositis persisting.

    Pat, a 4-3 is mandatory, don't even think about a 3-2 until it's really hot out, which isn't often. You're right, I should go and just pogue around, what harm? And hey Mo, I am not really going through too much if yu don't mind getting up at 4:30 in the morning, which I don't. It may be the best part of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the video of the choir. Mike is so talented! I for one am very glad that you are here to enjoy these precious moments with your son and to get the chores done... your yard is looking good! Craig did the 24 hour relay three years in a row and it was always memorable and a bit miserable even for a mortal. It's good to have you back in the blog-o-sphere.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,
    Congrats on your kids accomplishments. That is really awesome.
    I was just checking your blog and felt like saying hi, as I've not been in touch with you for a long while.
    You know I was just thinking about how when I started working at Seagate/Veritas, and I had been going through a painful separation with my wife. I felt really out of place in my new job, in a new industry for me, in a very different environment than I was used to. And you were the one guy in that place who I felt I could confide in and talk to. I don't know if you realize how much those conversations we had really helped me get through that rough time in my life.
    Just wanted to say thanks.

    --Pete

    ReplyDelete