Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Disco brain

My doctor is the Yoda of spinal taps.  He curled me up like a little baby, poked around and found the right spot in my back and tapped into a juicy spot, and we were done in no time.  He was riding the sciatic nerve for the last 2 minutes, but nothing worse than holding a strong 9 volt battery on your tongue for a while.  Zinged right down to the toes of my left foot.

Unfortunately, the juice he took out was tainted with some leukemic cells, and so now I am getting an ommaya reservoir installed in my skull, for the administration of chemo and extraction of fluids for testing.  This should be easier than spinal taps, and more effective at getting the chemo to the area that needs it.

You can see in this picture that the doctor peels back a flap of skin, then puts a hole in your head and inserts the ommaya reservoir, which has a small tube that connects to the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).  That is where they want the chemo to go. 

For an extra $500, I have asked for the plexiglas window in my skull, and 3 LED lights, red, blue and green.  If I am angry, the red lights up; depressed is blue; at peace is green.  The trick is to get them all going and create a disco ball effect. 

This guy cheaped out, no LEDs (nice zipper tho):


I have to go in the hospital Friday at 6 am, and they will knock me out at 8 am or so to do this, a short operation, but I have to stay overnight, in case I seize up or start running around nekkid.  I have arranged so I get a single room, i.e. no lunatics other than me.   I had tickets to see Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain, so too bad, I bought those for someone else. 

My meeting with the oral surgeon last Thursday was useless, as he wants the jaw to heal from the infection and extraction for a month or two, so I will see him in a few weeks.  It is healing very fast.  Mike B and I went up to the Jade Festival last Thursday, and stayed at Limekiln Park, 85 miles north. 
Jade Belly Dancers

Bruce M, me, AJ (Mike and Sue's daughter)

Patience shopping for beads

We took the Ford Econoline RV, which remains unnamed.  Sue and Patience and AJ came up Friday, and we hung around the Jade Fest, listening to the music and checking out the jade and other rocks, and the people and the cake and smoothies.  I was actually well-dressed in that crowd!  The refrigerator on the RV worked great, but we didn't test the wastewater systems with no disposal site nearby.

Monday I got a shot of cortisone deep into my left hip.  It felt great right away, because of lidocaine, marcaine, Caan and Abel, cane backed chairs, sugar cane, and all the other canes they dumped in there.  Once those started wearing off, I didn't feel nearly so Abel, but the cortisone takes a few days to settle in and get to work.  Doc even said I should able to golf.  Never could before, haha.

After meeting with the neurosurgeon, I was snacking on Chex Mix after lunch.  Next thing I know I am cutting my cheek as I eat a pretzel.  Apparently I cracked the edge off a temporary crown.  How do prisoners hide razor blades in their mouths?  I was getting shredded.  I called the dentist, and luckily the permanent (?) crowns are in and he can put them in tomorrow, moving up from next Monday.  Right now I have piece of xylitol gum draped over the sharp edge.  Where did the cracked-off piece go?  I hope I don't get torn up when it exits.

The big 25 year anniversary is coming up in November, so Dana and I are looking at Galapagos Islands cruises and visiting Ecuador.  Anyone out there knows anything about this area, tell me.

7 comments:

  1. Oh My(a)! Your own personal antenna, cell tower and traffic light system, all wrapped in one. How cool is that!

    Good to hear you and Mike made it up to the Jade Festival in the Ho-Spice Hotel (hint-hint).

    Hey John, do let me know if that cortisone shot helps the golf game. Hell, we might be onto something here. On the other hand, I’m not sure a cortisone-filled hot tub will help my game. I may have to consider soaking the martini olives in that stuff. I’m sure we could find an ample source through one of the Mexican supply chain channels.

    And good luck passing that broken crown. Be careful you don’t give yourself a good ole fashioned ass chewing.

    I hope all goes well tomorrow John.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, not a day goes by that I am not amazed at your resiliency and quick wit! I do wish you the very best and hope you and Dana have a great time when you go away....You both deserve it! Terri (Dana's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do you have GPS and internet? Can you raise your antenna and make other people disappear? If so, sign me up.
    Good luck passing the crown. Does this mean you are no longer King????

    ReplyDelete
  4. another day above
    the tidal marsh
    as fall steadily advances
    the sun is still
    radiant as it climbs, but
    the breeze is strong and sobering, and
    the cold wild northerlies are
    on the horizon

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow John! Getting stuck in the big surf at dusk at Narragansett beach was a cake walk compared to your ongoing treatments. Sheesh!!! Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy for me to ask you to fight when I know so little of your world .But thats what you do best, so I will. I know I speak for all your R.I.buds when I say our hearts are full with love for you. You have given us more then you will ever know. Earl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patient we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patient Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal treatment.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com . We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Doctor Itua Herbal Treatment..He assured me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

    ReplyDelete