Sunday, May 22, 2005

Cranial Irradiation cont.

What was I saying? Oh yeah. Uuhhhhh. Heh heh. Urrrrrr.

Friday am early
It’s been an interesting week. On Monday I went into the Oncology Radiation Center, which we’ll call the Fry Shack, to be fitted for a new White Hat! You wear this hat to keep aligned with the machine that sends the DEATH RAYS into your skull. It is made out of this weird stretchy plastic mesh material, which comes in a flat sheet and they warm in a pan. They have you lie on the table in the position for frying, and then place this warm wet stretchy plastic goop over your face and head, and it clips into the table. They mold it down into your eyes, which you better have closed, and around the curves and giant lumps and deep gashes of your head. In ten minutes it hardens into this plastic mesh hat. If they find this thing in 2,000 years they will be sure the owner really looked like King Tut.


Tuesday I went back to the Fry Shack and they took a couple pictures of me in my new hat, to get their lasers and DEATH RAYS all lined up for the Armageddon to come. I asked a few questions, like would I call the dinosaurs and what other side effects would I have. They said the treatment I was getting was totally wussy, the real men get like 3 times the level of radiation for 6 weeks straight and then die. They said I would not call the dinosaurs, not get really bad headaches, probably remember my name and my address but maybe not where I parked. The doctor did say that the combination of spinal tap injected methotrexate and cranial irradiation did cause some loss of brainpower, i.e. you get stupider, but he said, you won’t notice. Ha ha. After he got up, he also said you might get a sunburn too.

There were a lot of problems scheduling the doctor that was doing the spinal tap and methotrexate injection, since it had to be done for the next 5 weeks. We finally nailed down Thursday morning, so yesterday at 7am I went to Sierra Vista for the 8am treatment. The doctor showed up around 8:45, and got right to work. I curl up into the fetal position and she starts poking this long needle in until she has found the nerve bundle that goes down my left leg. Somehow, without moving, I jump four feet and say “I think you’re on the nerve bundle”, maybe not that calmly. It was pretty strange, because it was so instantaneously extremely painful, and then gone. I’ve always loved that about some types of pain, just light you up and then gone. It was strange too that the first time she did it the pain shot through my hip, and the second time it was the calf and foot. I imagine she is barely touching this nerve bundle, but man oh Marathon Man, “It’s Safe!” She is very apologetic, and after some more fishing around she decides she can’t get it. The doctor at Stanford had a hard time, and this doctor had a hard time the first time, and she says it will be better to do this with Xray guidance. That means I have to come back at 10:30. I call the Fry Shack, who is waiting for me to finish this, and tell them to keep my order warm.

The XRay guys are da bomb. It is clearly easier to do a spinal when you can see what you are doing. They can’t see the nerve bundle, but they can see where they want to go, and it is all pretty painless. They tell me I have to lie flat for 24 hours! The first doctor wanted me to lay flat for 1 hour, and at Stanford they wanted me to lay flat for 3 hours. I get wheeled on a gurney back to the day treatment area, and the nurse says the Xray doc is very cautious with the 24 hour recommendation. I have to lay there an hour, have some lunch while horizontal (spaghetti and salad, that’s tricky), and then go across to the Fry Shack.

They are ready for me. I get on the table, they plug me into my hat, tell me there will be whirring and sizzling and popping as the DEATH RAYS bombard my skull, then I’ll get rotated and they will bombard the other side, and it will all be over in 2 minutes. Now normally I can control the fear reaction and my breathing, but when they all left the room and that machine kicked on, and all that whirring and sizzling started up, I could literally feel my brains heating up. I didn’t want to swallow or move in any way, lest I fry some unfryable part, and that didn’t help my anxiety level. I could feel my skin heating up, but I kept thinking I shouldn’t be feeling anything, and wondering if they were giving me the he-man dosage. Then it was over.

Started at 7am, home at 2:15, 1 hour of procedures, 6 hours of forms and waiting. I get horizontal, but not for 24 hours. At 5:30 Mikey and I go to his school, where he is playing and I am dealing in the annual Blackjack Tournament. I feel fine, a little warm under the hat. Mikey makes the final table, takes fourth place and wins an MP3 player. Home at 9, eat dinner, in bed at 10:30. What a day.

Today I go in at 10 am for DEATH RAYS. A great thing happened that will help my recovery. I had appealed to the Superintendent of Golf Courses for the county to reinstate my volume discount card and cart sticker from last year, and he has agreed. In ’03 and ’04 I laid out $600+ for these cards, and each year was injured by April. The whole idea of the volume discount is that at a certain volume, you save money. Anyway, they are giving me a discount card and cart sticker for this year. That is awesome.

And hey, listen up Mac, I went out Monday at Morro Bay and shot 91, 3 months ago I didn’t think I’d ever golf again, but sweet mother that felt great. I even went Mac on a couple holes, and I mean big Mac, rippling Mac, barking howling feed the kitty Mac. Short game was pretty iffy, but it always was.

Blog comments are getting really funny. I am bringing up Tim’s thoughts about the ir part of irradiation with the Fry Shack people, but it scares me to say anything negative with these people. One little nudge of the dial, one little oops, and it’s Chernobyl time for Johnny. I should point out also, everything they give me for chemotherapy causes cancer! It’s downright crazy! It’s almost like some sort of planned obsolescence of humans. Sure, you’ll beat the leukemia, but we’ll be seeing that colon of yours in 5 years!

I think I may be moving to Korea, or one of the other advanced countries, where old embryos can be used to save humans, and are not revered as ‘living things’. My toenail clippings are technically ‘living things’ but nobody objects when I throw them out. Americans are going to start leaving the country to get quality health care, and it will only be the wealthy doing this. This so-called ‘Culture of Life’ government is so full of shit. And to think GWB had a sister die of leukemia. Don’t get me started.

Sunday morning
Oops, a day late, I forgot to post this dang thing. I can’t seem to get the picture of the white hat I took on Friday to email to me, camera phones! I will have to post it later, or take a pic with a real camera tomorrow. I was fried again on Friday, and my head is lightly sunburned and I have a killer headache, maybe a cold or allergies and not from the DEATH RAYS. Dana is off to San Fran for the weekend with her sisters, and I am doing laundry and chauffeur duties, which mean watching golf. By next weekend I may be feeling pretty fried. I better go golfing later today, it's boiling hot here!



13 comments:

  1. Y'all,
    Where the hell is everyone? No comments here. Must be that we're all gettin ready for the first summer holiday this weekend. I've been mostly on vacation for the past week and a half. The last of the house guest brothers left this AM.
    John, so glad to hear the Death Rays are not really such. And congrats on the 91. I know how hard it is to avoid goin Big Mac when the game's not goin right. Not to hijack your success, but I'm very happy to report that I shot my career low of 78 on Sunday during the last round of our annual two-day Member-Guest tournament. Brother Terry and I went home with lots of bling shit, bragging rights, etc. We tried to convince The Little Women that we were deitous in our victory. However, I don't think they completely bought it, as we still had to make our own martinis, run the grill, clean up the dishes, scoop out the cat litter, take out the trash, talk sweet nothins, etc., etc.
    John, you gotta get that camera thing taken care of. I sense that we're all having Low Brow withdrawals. And I'm itching to see you suck up that spaghetti from the horizontal position. There's an idea: Meatball Low Brows.
    Loved your commentary about the Fry Shack Death Rays resulting in getting stupider. Shit, at least you'll have an excuse. For me, the stupider thing seems to correspond with each advancing birthday. Hey, by the way, will they let you put anything inside the Death Ray hat during the process? Wonder what that would do with like a meatball sub or some Ho-Spice ribs or somethin like that??
    Keep the faith and get a couple a birdies.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. well Mac, glad to hear you. was starting to get a little worried myself especially after your post on friday, John,. was almost getting ready to do some more poemtry again, i still might though. mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. john- i get weird thoughts when i am stretched out on the radiation table...what if i DO move, they'll radiate some innnocent part of my body. i always get an itch as soon as they say DON"T MOVE for 20 minutes.
    speaking of GWB, today Al Franken was saying if Bush wants to make sure all the 400,000 embryos now on ice are saved for life then he should at least have each of the Bush twins carrying the orphan embryos, then he only needs 398,000 more mothers to bring these "children' to life. or have one twin go to iraq and fight in the war and the other carry the poor orphaned embryo.
    have fun on the golf course.you must have better weather than us, i think it might snow soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20 minutes? I am on the table for about 2 minutes max, but like I said, I am getting the wussy dose.

    Friday's post was a joke, I think, after the great Terri Schiavo blog. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bama is majorly bummed today, as Bo Da Man did not walk with the idol title last evening. Alabama unhappy about a country western singer winning the idol contest. Go figure.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I tried to ask my supervisor today if he got the e-mail I sent him, only e-mail came out female. He looked at me odd and said he didn’t think his wife would be very happy about that. Jeez, he didn’t even inquire if it was Angelina Jolie.
    Anyway, this blond moment made me start thinking that if you are blond and you have chemotherapy and lose your hair, can you still be accused of having blond moments? Is that considered good or bad chemotherapy etiquette?
    John what comes after cranial irradiation? How long do you continue to take the numbmeup and punchmeinthegut regime? The numbness in your extremities must be extremely annoying.
    Hang in there sport!
    Xo, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are blond and change your hair color, you still have blond moments, so you must still have them if you lose your hair. I am having radiation moments, like I can't remember sports or TV people's names.

    No more punchmeinthgut, but I get numbmeup forever, it seems. After the irradiation ends next week, I get a couple of IVs of nasty stuff, a couple shots of nasty stuff, and then begin the last phase which lasts 15 months. Numbmeup to start every month, steroids every day of the first week of each month, and some other pills. The numbness will suck, but it's only the fingers and hands as opposed to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so I'll say it before Lisa does--thank God the numbness doesn't get to either of your brains.
    maybe Randy was right about that visine...I think I'd make a good blond.

    ReplyDelete
  9. john, my grandfather told me "don't get old" so.. what the hell was that about? i worry less about the names i can"t remember and people seem pretty familiar in a rather parculiar way, and i get to say more of what i feel like...like this thought from somewhere in the 70's.
    i could have fallen
    from the sky a rabbit
    instead i am a black bird
    my wings are broken
    icannot return to my nest
    a man
    not a bird
    not a wind
    a man thinks of birds in his heart
    wind in his thoughts
    a man dispossed of his senses
    the fugitive of his dreams
    falls easy prey to lonlines
    it is not the solitude of his flight
    there are songs on the wind
    that lift his heart
    and serve to guide him
    but the aching in his muscles
    like rising heat
    distorts his vision

    as summer approaches
    i long to see
    once more
    the hawks
    circling so effortlessly
    riding the thermals
    high
    while barn swallows
    dart
    amidst chaos these things seem so normal so natural

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat,
    How do you know it hasn’t numbed either of his brains? How would John know? When one is functioning the other one isn’t. I think there’s a Catch 22 here.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. AND,….to quote Mac’s comments from John’s Blog of 5/14/05 “Your imagination is mind numbing”

    ReplyDelete
  12. John I hired a literary forensic expert to analyze the above poemry and it has been verified that it was Mo--his gray hair went blond and he forgot to sign.
    speaking of blondes, I am having trouble following Lisa's reasoning but I am pretty sure she's right--it's a classic case of Catch 44, the 2-brain catch 22.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat,
    Not unusual having a hard time following my reasoning. You could have a long conversation with my husband about this. However, the theory is that while men have two heads, they were only given enough blood to supply one at a time. Therefore when one is engaged the other is essentially shrivling from lack of blood. Hope that provides some clarity.

    ReplyDelete