Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother’s Day, hope you all showed your Moms some love today! As a Dad, I love having to coerce and harangue the boys into getting presents and cards, then trying to get them to help make breakfast and clean up after. Ha, that breakfast thing didn’t happen. John did get up early enough to eat breakfast, and Mike and John both wrote thoughtful notes and got Dana an orchid, so we shared some love this morning! Now I’m tired from making omelettes and bacon, but we’re going to make paella on the beach at Spooner’s Cove in Montana de Oro, so I must cowboy up!

Had my last 2 doses of asparaginase (punchmeinthegut) this week, no more of that subtle horror show, yippee. Tuesday’s shot feels like I was in the PBR bull-riding finals and lost, and Friday’s shot feels like I was shot with a .38 2 weeks ago, dull pain but tender to the touch. I actually get a week off this week, NO CHEMO AT ALL, nada. The blood counts are on the way up, and we need them even higher for what follows May 16, cranial irradiation and spinal taps. Brain fry for 12 straight days, and a spinal tap every Thursday for 5 weeks.

I had an IV of Vincristine (numbmeup) on Monday, and I keep getting that forever I think. The numbing isn’t any worse on the fingertips or feet, but seems to move into the forearms at times, especially after dosing. That is some weird stuff. You know the feeling you get when the lidocaine is wearing off after a visit to the dentist? That’s it, that slight tingling, can’t tell if something is hot or cold, numb but sensitive feeling.

One hope I have is that the brain fry will make me forget that I feel lousy and I will be active enough to offset some of this muscle loss. This lack of energy is really compounding, losing a lot of muscle strength and thus having less energy. I have been hitting the golf practice area, and my wedge work has gotten much better for it. Oh yeah, I did beat Mike B, so his reign as world champ only lasted for 2 games – I am back!

So just a quick update this week, nothing of note. If you think it’s boring to read this, try living it! I am going to have to step it up this week. We may go fruit-picking at a friend’s farm on Monday, mega avocadoes, oranges, other citrus, mmmmmmm.

7 comments:

  1. HI John,
    Boy that paella on the beach sounds great, and fruit pickin'? You are beating Mike now too? You sound good for all the numbness you have. I am getting 5 days a week of radiation...did 12 out of 35 so far.
    I am starting to work my muscles again, sure get stiff though! The numb feet kinda gets in the way, by the end of the day they feel weird. I went swimming twice this week and that felt great, fluid movement and being able to push the water out of the way. The numbness isn't a problem there.
    My son Alex is drving cross country in June, he will be driving through Morro Bay, he loved when we were there before, maybe he'll stay in Mike & Sue's campground.
    Have you seen "What the bleep do we know?" I saw it when it first came out but am watching it again right now with an after cancer diagnosis perspective.
    enjoy the fruit...mega avacados!
    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy guacamole, Hatman!
    I don't find this boring. And as you know I am easily bored. As ANYBODY knows who reads any of the off-road comments I send in partly to keep my sense of denial intact, but mostly for my own entertainment.
    You are doing a great job, F., documenting the adventure, keeping us tuned in, and humanizing a process that appears designed to encourage you to go into the deep freeze and come out short. god forbid.
    You will be back--Mike knew it all along! But on the way, steal some oranges.
    love to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Buddy,
    A very interesting thing occurred to me this morning when I read your comments. It was not until your mention of your blog comments possibly being boring when I realized how much I enjoy them. It should be at least a little obvious that I enjoy them but I find myself riveted more than ever. Perhaps it's just the knowledge/recognition that you're doing well and feel good enough about your activity to post some comments. Or maybe it's just because The Little Woman and I are so far away that it completes the circle for us. Nevertheless, trust me, never boring and always a real high for me to see an update from you - no matter what you have to say. When I come into my office and don't see an update, there's just this little piece of that day that's missing for me. I say this at the risk of you feeling more pressure to post comments. But that's not it; it's just very important for you to realize that we care - and we care a lot. Geez, I'm sorry. That was even a little tear-jerky for me.
    And so anyway, the paella on the beach sounds so wonderful. It reminded me of the time we all made the special arrangement for paella at that fabulous restaurant up in the mountains in Spain. I think the town was called Rhonda or someting like that.
    And fruit picking. Well, in Alabama the rednecks think that's a legal loophole for harassing gay people.
    Have a great week John. Please give Dana my belated wishes for a Happy Mother's Day.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, what he said--except to add the obvious: we care so much because it's YOU, not holy cow anything else in your complex scientific subject matter.
    and being selfish humans like we are, we care about you because you are an important character in a lot of OUR stories.
    not to mention how about a little credit for our capacity to appreciate great writing (like my sisters say if the residue on glassware alters the taste of beer,"we are con-a-sewers")
    so shut up and keep talking
    and now one message from Kevin Gardner--I know he's still saying it wherever he is:
    we're All your Pals

    ReplyDelete
  5. if it was boring to hear how you're doing, why would so many of us who care about you hit this site so often to get an update? It's far from boring. If you ever need a 4th or a 3rd for golf, I'd love for you to kick my behind and feel good about yourself ;) I've played a couple of years now but can never seem to get enough. Any excuse to see you and hang out a little bit ;) You take your time, get your strength, then come on out. We miss you at the poker table and in general. Keep up the writing! and keep getting better and stronger!

    -mg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming cranial irradiation. Men have two heads, so make sure they irradiate the right one. We will all be checking next weeks posts carefully and checking for any brain damage....hmmmm, how well we tell?
    xo, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love reading all these wacky comments. Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete