Saturday, June 04, 2005

CLICK

Saturday morning and Dana is laid out with a tweaked back, up since 4 am, watching John Wayne movies and munching Fioricet muscle relaxers. The steroids to keep the brain swelling down are really messing up my sleep, down at 9pm, up at 1am, down at 5am, up at 8am! I seem to have found some balance in last night’s pharmacopeia, hitting the right combo of steroids and sleeping pills to actually sleep for 8 hours without my brains swelling out onto the pillow! Monday will be the last cranial irradiation, and hopefully the end of these persistent headaches that have plagued me this week.

Thursday’s lumbar puncture/chemo injection went pretty smoothly. The doc got me on the table under the fluoroscope, numbed me up, warned me a couple of times for a push into the spine, then he said “1 out of 3 times this next push will hit the nerve for a second, and you’ll feel a big electrical click, then it’ll be fine, here we go.” CLICK. Like when you forgot to turn off the juice before changing that light switch, and then the breaker clicks. Less than a second, but HO CHI MAMA, the whole leg jumps, the sciatic nerve is vibrant, and the foot is doing the floppy. The rest of it went very smooth. He pumped in the joo joo juice like there were Krispy Kremes in the conference room. I went back to the recovery room for my one hour horizontal recovery, and met Mr. Stupid and Sad.

This guy is in the other bed, and instantly starts complaining about how he has to wait 2 hours to get his IV of antibiotics. I told him we got hung up an hour because of a car accident, but he railed on. Nurse came in and I asked for my standard lunch of pizza, doughnuts, and a masseuse, and he starts complaining that he can’t get lunch in this place. Somehow we get on the topic of costs, and I tell him my one-day stay in Feb. was $27K. This really sets him off; he’s going to have to file bankruptcy. Turns out this fisherman dude suffered a double hernia, drove to Mexico to get it fixed cheap ($2400), and they did a fine job but he ignored their recovery requirements. He gets in his motor home and drives for 2 days straight, only to be so sick that he has to get checked into Sierra Vista for ten days, then ten more days as an outpatient getting an IV drip for 3 hours. He really saved some money there.

The nurses bring me HIS lunch, spaghetti and meat sauce, key lime pie, coffee, not bad but hard to eat horizontally. I eat lunch, get dressed and go out to the nurse station, and shout “I’m cured!” I tell them I am ready to go, the needle came out an hour ago. They all start discussing that I am supposed to lie flat for 24 hours, I need a driver, I can’t go yet. I set them straight, tell them since I had joo joo juice put IN, it makes up for the juice they took OUT, no problem, I will be fine, it’s been OK for three weeks now. They make me sign the papers. The nurse explains that the sad sack in the other room actually HIT a nurse at another hospital, and that’s why he is here without his lunch, which they gave me.

This all confirms for me that, once you are in the system, govt., medical, school, whatever, you have to figure out the rules and the powers, and learn to navigate the whole deal. Knowing how to wait patiently in this world is a great talent, and doing it with some humor will really help.

Played 18 at Dairy Creek on Wednesday from the blues, and flat out ran out of gas at about the 12th hole. Putter killed me on the front, and all the other clubs joined in on the back. Played awful, couldn’t get off the tee, found a lot of ticks in the bushes, beautiful day, a lotta fun. Shot a 98 I think, ouch. Back to the gym and driving range. Blood counts are OK, slightly anemic but not enough to explain that back 9 holes.

It turns out I have a lot of room for photos, and I wonder if some of you BLOG commenters wouldn’t love to see your face up in lights? Anyone sends me their photo and I will post it, maybe make one separate post with all photos. Any takers? I at least want a picture of Pat’s backyard, and Mac’s first tee with his cats. Randy’s pond. Donald in a doctor suit. Mo in a TM state, Jeanne in a zen state. What say you all?

10 comments:

  1. john- maybe i could be in a zen state in pat's backyard...or on the boat beach with one of mo's fleet. i couldn't see the last 2 photos you posted, wondered if my computer won't allow it in with new norton anti whatever. i think we could reveal ourselves, since you have been. i don't have any pictures but tomorrow is my 50th and i think my kids and i will take some ...we haven't all been together in a while.
    hope this week the headaches are gone...and the back nine go better for you.
    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. idle hands/idle minds, i'd like to have some idle time. i'm working on just saying no, at least at work...no i get too much to do, already and much of it is mine. ha. right about now i"m starting to dream of a picture of rozen pina colads, it's not that the weather is hot just some seriois cown time fun in the sun some r and r.medication for meditation. the back yard is open the fleet nears readiness.
    john is california one of those places that allow medical marajuana for nausa and pain management?
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. another mystery solved...
    now I see why Mo is so intent on trying to get to California for your ho-spice pismo clam bake-off; he might be feeling nauseous or pained.
    Mac's talk of freedom and greenery and John's of the practical aspects of patience both have me thinking up a lot of ideas for the series of how-not-to books I want to write...
    so many how-to books out there, but a real lack of guidance on the how-not-to.
    I think this could be my niche, and of course I'll submit an outline here first at the home of my holy cow start as a commenter.
    but for now I have to focus on getting a few snapshots to send in--meditation, medication, mediation, nucular yard sailing, Mo on the back steps extending his arm along the view of the 60foot perimeter, telling Vinny like Mufasa showing the pridelands to Simba, someday this will all be yours...
    happy birthday Jeanne! looking forward to joining you on the dance floor as lesbian couple Number One later this week
    cha cha cha
    30+ years later, nobody has stolen our title. now that I think of it...has anybody tried? [note to self:winning all the time--how NOT-to attract competition]

    ReplyDelete
  4. California has left medical marijuana to be contested on a city by city basis, so you can take your medical MJ card to Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz and get your prescription filled. A guy here was arrested for growing for patients, they seized his plants, and then he won the case and they gave him back a bunch of dead plants. Each city here is trying to pass laws bannning dispensaries, such compassionate thinking.

    At this point our society is so invested in prisons and police that they cannot rethink the answers to drug problems, it will cost too many jobs and the guards and police have some strong lobbies. Watch COPS, and tell me that you think the solution to crank is to throw pathetic losers in jail so we can all support them! Absurd. Buy all the crank and crack, and give it away with counseling. Take out the economics of drugs and the problem will be lessened, and then we can treat the causes of drug dependencies. Did you get me started? Oh Geez. Don't forget that our current administration values a culture of 'Life', as long as that 'life' is likely to vote Republican. We won't get smart in this country on drugs any time soon, the prison guards here are making six figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Happy Birthday Jeanne, woohoo, 50, take a day off, start the second half tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had been standing in the prescription line at Longs listening to this guy grouse about the wait and how he had better things to do and I politely reminded him how lucky we were to even have access to the medical care we have in the states. On the inside though I was fantasizing about running him over in the parking lot….Ah yes, patience and fantasy, my prescription for making it through daily life! Pat you might include a chapter entitled “How Not to Hurt Parts of the General Population” in your book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Y'all,
    Good to see everyone blogging again.
    Jeanne, a Hearty, Healthy and Happy Birthday to you. I had one of those birthdays (50) - ah, ah, some time ago. Shit, now I'm depressed.
    Dana, I hope the back gets better soon. Although it does appear that John's feeling quite a bit better now, so you could milk that "cow" for a while longer. Shit, if he's up at 1 and 4 in the morning, he might as well get breakfast prepared for the nighborhood dontcha think?
    Pat, love the How-Not-To book idea. When you're ready, let me know, as I have a number of chapters I can contribute: 1) My golf game. 2) My ability to keep my boyish figure. 3) How to keep life's vices in check. 4) My work habits, as well as a bunch of other ones.
    John, you must send me that cocktail recipe for 8 hours of sleep. Double-martinis not doing it any longer. Megacongrats on getting 18 holes in - screw the score. I think that's a first for you since becoming the Holy Cow Man. Did you ask Mr. Doublehernia if he was from Alabama? Bitchslapping a nurse sounds pretty redneck to me. Of course, he didn't brag about it to you, so he may actually be from Louisiana. I can't believe you missed another opportunity to document the horizontal spaghetti slurping. I'll have to work on getting a photo out to you. I hears they're comin out with cameras now that can download photos to one a those computer thingys. Is Wal-Mart responsible for that? Did you know that, down here, one could get banned from Wal-Mart for life for bitchslapping a nurse?
    Pat & Jeanne, sounds like there's a story here we all want to hear about, i.e. Lesbian Couple Number One. It does sound interesing. Wondering it it's like an old San Fransicso game show - not that I have a problem with that !
    I lost money again on the golf course this weekend. Poooor little kitties are gettin skinnier all the time. Thinkin about knockin off the local feed store fur (ha!) some kitty snacks. I wonder what the rap is fur that?
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  8. see ya on the dance floor Pat, not to be outdone by any other couple in the cha-cha...the wife & wife team of long ago.
    the how-not-to will be a big hit....in this second half of century i am sure we will stock up more great advise in the self-unhelp territory, rival the self-help media blitz. they are making millions. utne had some great articles on the working towards perfection society, self-help, self perfecting....and how unhealthy it is.
    the boat beach, that is healthy...taking a chill pill, a hike, a bike, a yogic breath...none of it has to do with perfection for me, i just want to have fun.
    maybe we can get a photo of the lesbian couple #1 for the blog..and other party fun, some of Randy and Earl & Kris and Mo with or w/out his medical toke.
    happy b-day 50 early to you PAT...right around the corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. john- we had quite a birthday-end of treatment dance party last night and my sister got some shots for your blog...earl & kris, randy, pat, mo and lesbian couple #1. i will clean them up a bit and send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and ps. Mac don't start spending your catfood money on photo-enhancing equipment--LC#1 is just a dance act...
    it WAS quite a party--many, many thanks to my Gemini twin Jeanne for reminding us all (especially me) to CELEBRATE!
    even more so during the times when it might look like we have less cause.
    John wish you coulda been there, show us a thing or two--back when I was learning the steps that evolved into my routine w/Jeanne, I believe you were using dancing school to choreograph elaborate moves named after the toughest gangs in Norwood.
    Do you still do The Belmont once in a full moon?
    It wasn't easy to get these pictures for you--rocking band, wild energy, swinging crowd and a photographer kept popping up yelling OK--DON'T MOVE--we're calling the documentary "freeze tag"
    thanks Jeanne and see you at my office tomorrow--Chair 2

    ReplyDelete