Friday, September 30, 2005

I was only going one way officer

Had the 3rd dose of phase IV yesterday, more doxorubicin and vincristine, and I am finishing up the dexamethasone steroid, grrrrrr, tapering off, a little cranky. The steroid indigestion/gas bomb/hiccupping madness should stop in a week, that’ll be nice. No more meds for a couple weeks, then whack whack whack.

I wobbled out of the doc’s yesterday – they always ask if I have a driver, and I always wondered why. They give me a big bag of diflucan anti-nausea before the meds each time, and I never felt it until yesterday. I am walking back to my car when I realize I can’t walk straight. Like 2 beers. The steroids have really messed with my sleep, and I have a yeast infection (thrush, babies get it from milk) in my throat, so I am typing this at 5:30 in the morning, the latest I’ve awakened in a week. I am baking bread and brewing beer, right in my own throat! Self-sufficient!

The freaking vincristine is starting to numb my hands and feet again, and I better get used to it because I get vincristine for another year at least. I am using it to explain all my bad golf swings, no legs, can’t feel my feet. Unfortunately I think it’s true, I have no leg action, hitting my driver about 200 yards, pathetic. Putting well though. Shot a 90 Wed. from the whites at Dairy Creek with no wind, sure was nice playing that course the short way for a change, and the weather has been awesome. Now if we could get some surf.

Go Red Sox!

3 comments:

  1. Arrows?
    What arrows?
    I didn't even see the Indians.
    What do you mean where am I going?
    I must be late, everybody else is coming back.
    hang in there, bud--if you start to swerve to avoid trees in the road and they turn out to be your pine-scented air freshener on the mirror, hire a high school kid to be your designated drinker.
    ps. we are getting all your surf, god I love this time of year--total denial of the dark and snowy time to follow when certain of your ornery California types email pics of their sunny and flower-filled back yards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a nice swell coming in right now too, should be good in the morning, head high at least. Dawn patrol with Beauch maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Y'all,
    Speaking of weather, we can't seem to break into the autumn season here in Bama. It continues to hang in around 90, but I think there's a break coming later this week.
    John, have you tired holding and building upon the gas bomb thing - then using the velocity force for power surfing? Might be real cool. Ya know, 90 is not bad for a golf score. I get there quite frequently and the only excuse I have is that I basically suck at it. I just try to manage my level of suckness. I'm sometimes amazed that I keep going back and playing as often as I do. Perhaps I'm just a slow learner.
    And so anyway, keep up the good fight.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete