Sunday, September 04, 2005

Class dismissed

My eyebrows are back with a vengeance, and if I don’t control them I will look like an old English actor. I never did understand the guys that don’t think they should trim their ears and eyebrows and nose; it is so distracting. I bet they wonder why people don’t look them in the eye – they’re looking to see what will crawl out of the bush!

Pretty boring times. School is back in, Dana is working full time this week to help out her co-teacher who needed some personal time, and the boys are trying to set the homework expectation to low. Hah. I am spending time on working out, yoga, my golf game, and goofing off. I should set up classes in goofing off, because to do it well takes skill and planning. For instance, you don’t just work out, you work out when something interesting is on TV. All right, sort of interesting, like golf or COPS or the History Channel, otherwise you’d never work out.

Now with the price of gas I have to reconsider driving out to Morro Bay to the golf course. I wonder if anyone would complain if I started hitting wedges in the park, may have to test that.

The headaches remain, and my blood counts are fine, slightly anemic. Doc says I probably have some brain damage (we knew that) that may or may not go away over time. Nothing to worry about, much. I am in a chemo free state until the 15th, then I get whacked with daunorubicin and vincristine and a bunch of pills. Looks like Yellowstone is out, brother Frank.

I am trying to take on the cooking chore, but I don’t care that much about food. Tell me what you want and give me the recipe, and we’ll see what happens. Dana does not like me to do the shopping, because she shops for ‘meals’, and I shop for what we don’t have. When I get to the recipe, I still don’t have everything, and I have to go back to the store. It seems like the grocery store is the epicenter for the obese. I see more obese people in an hour in the store, and I mean 300+, than I did in a year in Spain. I suppose it makes sense, because you’d have to eat a lot to get that obese, so you’d be in the store more.

I’d love to see the government try to organize all those people in shelters in N.O. to start cleaning up the mess. We are going to see the worst in human nature, already have, but the scams that will come out of that mess will be disastrous. I am researching building materials companies and mobile home companies; someone will make a killing. Don’t forget, love your country, fear your government, invest in the best scammers.

John and Mike recommend this website, one of their all-time favorites:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/idioth.php



12 comments:

  1. HideeHo, I’m back from Idaho. Speaking of the obese, visit Wal-Mart in Sandpoint, Idaho, home of the Idaho couch potatoes. Statistics report that one in five people in Idaho have some kind of developmental disability. These people can also be found wandering the aisles of Wal-Mart. The good news is that the Arians have apparently vacated Idaho. Unfortunately, I understand they have moved to Alabama. (Sorry Mac)
    John and Dana, I did think of you and have the post card I wrote to you to prove it….Sorry the postmark will be from SB, but the card is from Idaho and shows one of the West’s tougher golf holes.
    I will tell you more about vacation once I get back the photos to jog my memory. I think I have a build up of too much cabernet in my system or perhaps my mind has already shifted back to the mind numbing work mode. Despite my uncomplimentary opening comments, vacation was great and Idaho is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of scams, is Mac back?
    Mac--remind me the geography again--is your retirement-home-to-be ok?
    waiting for word from the south...or some southern words
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey John I had an idea--yeah yeah yeah, I know, it doesn't happen every day.
    but you have been informing, entertaining and connecting us for quite a while now...
    so I thought, if you are taking up cooking why don't you have us commenters send in favorite easy recipes...

    say what you like--for instance me, I like things that all go in one pan so there's less clean-up;
    then if you get any good ideas, you could make like mass quantities and freeze some which cuts down on shopping which is way worse a chore than cooking.

    and don't everybody include Ho-spice in their title...I think we can assume Ho-spice goes on everything.

    ok--I'll start. if you don't have (--)
    (a certain product manufactured in Alabama)
    2-alarm chili is a kit you add to 2 lbs. of meat and a can of tomatoes; the directions even have pictures.
    voila, hide the package in the garbage, hope it doesn't make any frogs sneeze and you have a nice home-made meal in one pan.
    if you served with corn chips and beer I am pretty sure it is all your basic food groups.

    if you like the idea, I'll go stand at Earl's back door next to the stove--that is where I get all the ideas that don't come in a package.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, welcome home and sounds like your Idaho was great, all disabilities aside--cabernet induced too. Pat, yes, Mac is back and all is well down his way but for a few fallen trees. Hopefully he will post soon and catch us all up. I love the recipe exchange idea. We'll try that chili when young John goes off to college. He doesn't eat beans. For those of you looking through your recipe boxes, you may want to keep these things in mind...no seafood (John has an allergy) no beans, mushrooms, anchovies, spinach, cabbage, beats, actually, just no cooked vegetables in general for the boys, and keep in mind that I am constantly watching my not-so-girlish figure, so no butter, cheese, cream, rich sauces, pasta, an all that other good stuff. If that isn't enough to stifle the most creative of you chefs out there...bring it on! Hugs, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheez, Dee! Everytime I thought I had a recipe, I looked back and there was a forbidden ingredient. Ok, so how about fahitas? This is a manly recipe, you can even prepare everything on the grill then pick and choose the ingredients you like – We usually use chicken, red, green and poblano peppers, onions and low carb wheat flour tortillas. I figure I don’t need to mention anything about Ho Spice as we even put this in our jello. Throw in a margarita or two and you have a party.
    Speaking of parties, where is Mac?
    Oh and to be fair to the citizens of Idaho, the actual statistic is one out of five has some sort of disability (NOT just developmental) for which they receive some kind of gov’t subsidy.
    That's all for fun and facts today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, those fajitas sound pretty good. I think it was Missy who mentioned recently that Margaritas are one of the highest calorie cocktail choices, but after one or two, who cares? And yeah...where is Mac?
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Dee, It's straight up shots of tequila for you, no carbs but 65 calories each. Of course after the first two it gets harder to add up how many calories you have imbibed, but as you mentioned, who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  8. na na na na na, no way did I include beans in a thing sent to he who would have to start a whole new holy cow I light farts on fire blog--
    that would really be thoughtless of me, especially since I would end up reading about it.
    glad to know old Mac is back
    and to the best of our knowledge his deer stand did not fall on his house, but does he have lectricity?
    MAC ARE YOU THERE? c'mon, buddy, without you it's turning out to just be a blog about John for crying out loud!
    just a few days on my own and I'm talking about cooking--HELP ME OUT HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well holy shit y'all,
    I have missed so much in just the short respite out at wonderful Alderbrook, which, by the way, is southwest of Seattle at the foot of the Hood Canal (town called Union).
    John Man, so great to hear you continue on the good track. Check very carefully, that crazy-ass frog may have spawned in your eyebrows.
    Lisa, good to hear the vacation went well. The difference between there and Bama is that only 1 in 5 here are without some disability. And shit, you want obese. We have people here who would have to make 5 trips if you told them they had to haul ass. What will happen to the south if the influx of obese arians continues to build???
    And Geez Dee, your list of banned ingredients reads like a damned government document. You have eliminated virtually 99% of any recipe found within 732 miles of here. Try Ho-Spiced watermelon.
    Thanks to you all for asking how we're doin down here? The Little Woman and I are fine. No house damage this time, even though we were expecting to come home to a house with water penetration. My heart breaks for all those poor souls who have nothing left and nowhere to go. The news overwhelms me and I have to look away at times. We all need to be so thankful for the little things in life, because the big ones can slip away oh so easily.
    Gotta go and hit the links today. Just got the newly arrived Ping G5 driver and must see if it is the eureka I've been longing for.
    Luv you all.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  10. john
    what is it with the 4 sneezes, is that you regular number?
    about Pat's recipes, they may make your new eyebrows and ear hair red. do you really want that? glad you are getting back to golfing, i'll need some more lesons soon.
    randy

    ReplyDelete
  11. see the way he's gotta be--why's he gotta be like that?
    Ran you are a great cook, why don't you send in a recipe? something bald people like...did your hair just fall out or did you tear it out in a jealous fit because you secretly always wanted to be a redhead?
    need I sign?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John,
    It is the 15th and the day you get chemo whacked once again. I am sending you best wishes and hope you don’t have to fertilize any bushes, wear any white hats or handle any glassware! Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete