Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Arrrgggh matey

Chugging along health wise, same old same old. Slightly anemic, sleep pattern all screwy, otherwise 50 going on 60. I am renaming my chemos salsa picante, as they have the same effect. My nose runs, my eyes tear, and my stomach aches. That is what they should tell chemo patients to expect – a trip to Old Mexico.

Amazing, the weather here stayed warm, hot even, long enough for me to finish the canoe, then temps dropped 30 degrees. Just in time, as Beauch was being driven nuttier by the sound of the flapping tarps in his yard. Frost in the yard yesterday morning, and it actually snowed in the county at higher elevations. Every few years this happens. I am very pleased I didn’t get caught up in the nice weather so much that I started pruning – my inborn procrastinator told me not to do the bonsai transplant yet. Good thing, because that pruning would have inspired some bud push, and those suckers might have been frozen.

Dana and Chrissie and Mike and a friend, and Stacy and Lia all went to Disneyland a week ago, Sunday and Monday, and had a great if crowded time there. I got to finish the canoe, as I am agoraphobic when it comes to Disney crowds. When they got back, Chrissie did not get her canoe ride. We tried, but the weather had already turned by Wed. last week. We loaded the canoe on the car and looked around for a spot in the back bay that was calm enough for canoeing, but it was not to be. The rains came Friday morning and lasted all weekend.

We did go to Mardi Gras parties though. The first, 2 Saturdays back, was a Shanghai Moon theme, meaning come as adventurers or smugglers or Chinamen or hot scantily clad femmes. The second party was last Saturday, the annual Pirate Party at the Avila Yacht Club, my favorite, yearrrgghh! I make a fearsome pirate, even with eyeliner. The Mardi Gras Ball is next weekend, and the theme is the Fire Within. Volcanoes? Hemorrhoids? Salsa picante? I think we are working on flame costumes. My input is too bizarre so I just show up when told and put on what they hand me.





I checked eBay and there were over 2600 completed auctions for walking sticks, US only. There were ongoing auctions for another 4000+ walking sticks. There was one auction that included the word ‘rock’, and that was a reference to rock and roll on some skull-head stick. So Mo, that’s the way to go. You get a huge marketplace and a niche in the walking stick market. Post 9/11, I would market to fear, same as most products in this country. Not just a walking stick but a weapon!

3 comments:

  1. John you look good in all your recent guises...but I am a little worried--since when have you been shy about making Beauch nuttier?
    Thanks for the marketing tips for Mo--believe me I have considered the weapon thing on several occasions as they avalanche on me trying to get out the back door or into the attic...
    I sold one this week to my beach-walking pal because she lives near the Audobon land down in West Kingston, was worried about dogs but got attacked by a duck.
    Couldn't get him (or her) off her leg.
    Oh well, she will be safe from Daffy now.
    And Mo gave one to some kid at the video store to ebay for him--this job could be yours, I could send you a hundred or two to store over at Beauch's under a flapping tarp.
    There is a rumor going around that the little woman might be getting one for Mac for his birthday. I guess you can guess who started this rumor. Someone very thoughtful who will be safe from wild dogs and church-burning types in 'bama...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAFLAAAAAAC ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Pat & Mo, I must warn you. Be very, very cautious around this issue, as the good terrorists at PETA may view this as a proactive anti-duck & dog effort. I was thinking about getting one for a golf buddy who fishes a lot, but now idunno. PETA coud view this as an effort to manufacture Weapons of Bass Destruction. I wonder if John Prine is still out there. I can hear a great new tune coming out of this: "Can't Get That Duck Off My Leg."
    John & D, thanks for sending TLW back. It's almost my rutting season. The toilet seats are back up now. Oh yeah, and I got all macho while she was gone and tried to fix some shit around the house - not, shall we say, my forte. The repair of a leaky tub faucet somehow resulted in the inoperability of the washing machine and the phones. It's a damned good thing I'm pretty.
    John, best of luck with the salsa picante treatment.
    Mac
    p.s. Vote for Taylor Hicks.
    p.s.s. The wild dogs are back and I'm stickless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John,

    My 23 year old son died of Leukemia in December after a 14 day illness. His form was more like a Hydrogen bomb. You can read my diary/blog of it at my web site www.hoa.org. I have read most of you blog and I think it is very useful for Leukemia survivors. One project you spoke of was getting more access to information in the hospital. I want to start a foundation to do that. I have posted a "report" on that subject at my web site. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on that subject and what progress you have made. You have not written about it lately. My background is technology. E-mail me at jack@hoa.org

    Thanks
    Jack Allweiss

    ReplyDelete