Thursday, February 09, 2006

dX+1

Well, here we are a year later, diagnosis date plus one year, dX+1! I suppose I should be partying, and we are going to see Flamenco at the Performing Arts Center tonight. I may have an extra water, maybe flavored! It’s 5:30 am, I have been getting up every day about 4:15, it’s steroid week! My steroid week coincides with Dana’s, uh, concurrent hormonal swing week, or Cheswick as we call it, as in One Flew! It becomes very unclear during this time who exactly is Chief Bull-Goose Looney! Dr. Spillane has given me the all-clear, even for going back to work, and I am on the open market, looking around. There is a good job out there, stay posted.











One side effect of cyclophosphamide they don’t warn you about is the longer-term effect on your nails. I noticed this valley growing out on every toenail,and finger nail about a month ago. Then I started getting hangnails, 3 so far, and I can see that as this valley grows out it’s going to be trouble, broken nails. I asked the doc, and he said ‘Well, we don’t usually pull the nails out.” Yikes! He told me to keep them well-groomed and lots of lotion, and maybe to paint them!

Lots of comments on the last blog. Mac, Mac, who would want to edit you or have you tone down your mustard? You said ‘screw slow’, referring to golf swings. I made a joke, asking if that was sex advice. I love you man, and your sick and twisted sense of humor, sometimes over the top but my clutch doesn’t work that well either.

I have a picture here of Maurice’s present of a walking stick. This is now the primary weapon in the house. Mikey loves it, shaped like a light saber. Watching him wield it reminded me I need to do some earthquake-proofing.


















Nice to hear from the Berger’s too, I keep expecting to see Heather on American Idol or Dog Eat Dog or Survivor or something. Bill M. showed he is not a true Luddite and actually touched a keyboard, way to go Bill, good to hear from you. Pats coulda won it, one bad game.


Sue Beauch is having her very first Art Show with an exhibition at New Frontiers Market in SLO. I think she sold three paintings the first day. Go check it out, she's a great artist.

The canoe is killing me. The weather warmed up a lot, but the wind is making it difficult to get a clean final coat of paint and varnish on the canoe. I am driving Beauch nuts trying to rig up a dust-free zone on the side of his house. I’ll be heading out to check the surf in an hour, then on to Beauch’s and see what I can get done. I hope to have this thing in the water in a week. Chrissie is coming to stay with us for a week, and we want to take her for a paddle. Relax Mac, just in the canoe, as long as she is good.



Next project is new toilets in the house, and new tile floor in the boy’s bath, now that their aim has finally settled down. It is amazing how often a penis can get away from you while you’re using it, and what a mess it can make. And I am just talking about peeing. We are looking into Gerber dual-action toilets, flush your pee with 1 liter and your poops with 6 liters. We saw this everywhere in Yugoslavia in ’87, and it’s a great idea.




6 comments:

  1. "The Valley Of The Nails" Good title for a book on ALL treatment.
    Hey John, this trip for The Little Woman coming out to the SLO way sounds a little dangerous, especially in light of Sue's art exhibit. Please help her restrain herself from hyper-buying. Or, for that matter, any buying. We have enough art work now to start our own gallery. And we're designing the retirement house to be less than half the size of what we're currently in.
    It was really good of that guy to hold himself back from pulling your nails out. If the next time you see him he's wearing a turbin - run like hell? And I would give painting your nails some serious thought. Otherwise you may find yourself edging about 200 miles north to San Francisco.
    Maurice, I love the walking stick. Let us know if you put them up for sale on a web site somewhere.
    And go easy on that flavored water Big Guy.
    Gotta go. Today is golf day. Hope to win some cat food money today.
    Have a good time hanging ten today John.
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    See y'all.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    YEAH!!! How far you have come in a year! I still get chills remembering Dana’s initial email telling us that you had been taken to Stanford in an ambulance. So glad, so very glad that a year later we are joking about painting your nails and sending you back up north for a different kind of treatment….Not that there’s anything wrong with it….

    ReplyDelete
  3. OWoW I am so happy to hear about Sue!!!
    She has always been a great artist, and always worked so hard/god I wish I could see her show--John get over there--get us postcards or link to the place or pictures, something!!!that is so great to hear about.

    and at dx1, isn't it great that you get so many comments you get enough material for your next post--I am happy to hear that medicine has come so far as to not pull out your nails; that way you can still type.

    Mac let us know what the LW brings home, maybe we can arrange a trade for some wild-dog scaring sticks...how many for a Sue Beauch original?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey John, maybe your next employment could be a distributer for the "walking sticks and stones" on the west coast. i did tell Pat to get some photos up on the web so people could check them out,and certainly list them on craigslist since he is on there all the time anyway.

    you've really made it through this year and taken all of us along in the weblog...so we are 1 year old bloggers becasue of you also. we are now learning canoe restoration, bonsai planting and all the very interesting news out of the southern region of the country.
    catch a wave, we're going to catch 10" of snow today they say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well John, by this time on Sunday night (9:30 PM), you and I are both womanless. TLW and Miss. Dana are Disney bound, you're probably running your fingers ragged finishig that canoe in SLO, and I'm getting the biggest damned kick out of an entire week + of not ever putting the toilet seat down - thank you very much.
    SWEET HOME ALABAMA ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    What the hell is goin on down here? The natives are restless and are torching Baptist churches like hot wings on a Webber grill. It's not a good time to be a Baptist in a rural Alabama church between midnight and 5 AM. These idiots have burned, idunno, 10 or 12 churches in the last week or so. What the hell is that about? I can't wait for the perp(s) to get caught and hear the earthshattering story they have to shed light on this fiasco. Go figure. I can never clearly see through the fog bank of too religious or not religious enough. TLW and I never cease to be amazed at the ultra-religous, bible-thumping mentality of the people here - not always bad. Two weeks ago we were pulling up to a red light and could not help but notice the superloud music coming from a car a lane or two over. To our surprise, it was not a rap enthusiast bopping to Eminem, but a guy of about 50ish banging out and singing along to gospel music. Now, I ask you, where else in the country can you see that???
    No golf here this weekend. Hardly got to 40 all weekend, certainly not today. But better things to come. We're looking at 70ish degrees on Thursday (my normal golf day). If I'm not excused from jury duty by then, I may have to revert to quoting some Rush Limbaugh in order to get an early pass. I must admit that I get some sick ideas about how to screw with the process sometimes. I wonder how it will go over if I have a can of beans each morning before sitting on the jury, then doing that, you know, looking over your shoulder at everyone else with that disgusted look on your face. One has one's priorities - ya know.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mac,
    I don't have a web site at this time, as I am somewhat technologically challenged, or my web abiity is as sophisticated as rocks on sticks. As I am hoping to "branch out" around the country, and in possession of many such "sticks and stones" made of hardwoods, some local, and rocks culled from area beaches, you can contact me at sticksandstones@surfglobal.net , I think you will find pricing friendly, "walking sticks that rock" also ship well., and for a short time only, I can include the original wooden, smokeless, cigar. To misquote one of the Roosevelt brothers, "speak slowly and carry a stick with a rock." This product is not endorsed by Shaun Penn who may or may not have said in Fast times at Ridgemont High. "rock on dude".
    mo
    aka maurice

    ReplyDelete