Friday, August 29, 2008

Fiddling away the hours

Bill, I knew you'd come through. Joe's Mortuary, You napalm 'em we embalm 'em. I think a lot of kids are morbid because they are just coming into some reality about death.

I wish I could fiddle. Watching all this music at Strawberry makes the unskilled of us wish we had talent or ambition, not sure what it takes. We are surrounded by musicians, and they are all jamming all the time, except from about 4 am to 8 am. I went to sleep at 11 last night with about 30 people having a jam session about 50 feet away. They influenced my dreams in strange ways that I don't recall except to say they were strange. They were real good too.

Mike B. and I are in this weird isolated world where all your values have been rearranged. Ice is big (in the 90s), and lounging by the lake or in the lake, and finding a shady spot for listening to the music. Dirt and hygiene seem less important; personal space also. This is a lot like Live Oak, upgraded by the lake you can swim in, a big plus. There are cabins here that can be rented, so if you wanted to go upscale it can be done. More vendors, a bigger meadow, more camping, more people, more ants. That's the American way - bigger, better, more.

I am trying to learn from Mike and adapt, but I find my own OCD clashes with Mike's anal retentive hippieness. I needed - NEEDED - to move this rock that I thought was messing with me, but Mike told me that rock was perfect right where it was, it had been there the 30 times he had camped there. I left it. I'm trying to fit in, and my superhero pants help, and my Zerbe derby too.

No cell phones in here unless I hike 2 miles up the hill to the top, and then it is sketchy. Right now I am at the Evergreen Lodge, about a mile outside of camp. There is a nice cool cabin/great room with wifi access and public phones, quiet now but packed later, and I am checking email and doing this update before it gets too hot. By the time I bike back to camp, I will be sweating, and I will switch to swim trunks and go cool off in the lake.

Mike and I had to work Wed. night pre-banding people that were in overnight pullout areas where they could wait the night, mostly RVs and trailers. We were dropped off far from Camp Mather at Camp Bob around 5:30 pm, and given until 10:00 to get it done. There were twenty people there maybe. We finished in an hour. The third worker, Ed, was a mandolin player, and he found some more players with a spare mandolin, and they jammed to entertain everyone in little Camp Bob for a while.

Around 8pm we decided to walk the mile to the Evergreen Lodge (where I am now) and check it out. The place was jumping and was just wrapping up the Wed. all-you-can-eat BBQ, $15. We walked in and quickly ascertained that we were kings and this free feast had been laid before us, at least what was left. So we dug right in, had some steak, burgers, fruit and ice cream. We walked back to Camp Bob sated, Ed was still there jamming, and ten minutes later our ride showed up and took us back to Camp Mather. Tough night.

Thurs. morning we started work at 5:30 am, banding all the people in line to get in. We were done in 4 hours, and that was the work we had to do for our tickets. Beauch has been doing this so long he gets the plum shifts, done before the music starts. All the workers I worked with all had the anal retentive hippieness thing going on, which I find disconcerting because I never know what they will retentive about. They were anal about how to band people, which car was next, who checked the ticket, who put the sticker on the car, kissing up to the boss, and hurrying up. It was like a real job.

The radio just told me it is time to go; the music is starting, and I may put on a rastafarian wig and go wild, be the next spinning man or Fabio, I could be basketball white belly rasta wig guy, or something. Peace out, love the dirt.

8 comments:

  1. Press Release, Stanford Medical Center
    Friday, August 29, 2008

    “The Boo Qwilla Thrilla”

    The Dididaht Tribe contracted Holy Cow Crazy Pants, the hospital’s previously reported mystery guest, to take on ear-eating, ho-huntin, what-da-hells-he-sayin, former Big House resident, Mike “Leukemia” Tyson, in a series of fight rounds to be played out beginning on Day Zero and continuing on various days and locations within the confines of the medical center during the latter part of 2008. The main event will be held in Unit E1 of the WBC Center For HVG Euphoria. UnitE1 is adjacent to, but should not be confused with, Pat’s Inbox Ring.

    Bookies in Las Vegas are giving one million to zip odds on Holy Cow Crazy Pants, aka High Brow - Low Brow, aka Da Man, aka Ooga Man, aka John Warrior, aka Odds Breaker.

    A special stadium is being constructed on the grounds, adjacent to the Boo Qwilla monument for all non main event rounds. There will be direct passage links to all popular outdoor sites within the grounds of the medical facility, except the Gates Of Hell, which will be held in suspension until such time when Crazy Pants returns to SLO.

    For directions to the new stadium, from the parking lot, follow Willie Mays Channel, past Gator Head Pond, to Transplant Trail. Take a left on Calf Cramp, turn right on Do-Rag Road, then left on PICC Pike. When you get to Duck Scum Pond, if it is bordered with Little Leukemia Bastard Pebbles, please kick those into Duck Scum Pond. Carry on to Vinchristine Vue, turn right on Catheter Calle, then continue on till you get to Apheresis Alley. You will see a Jade Pond near the Neupogen TBI Tower, which will house Hepamasks you’ll need before walking through the Chemo Tunnel, the Spinal Tap Tower and the Morphine Madness Marsh. When you get to Bone Marrow Row you begin to see the Positive Immune Gardens straight ahead. You’re almost there. From there, just watch for signs of a handsome guy with a Rhode Island accent, carrying a surf board and golf clubs. If he’s not there yet, please be patient and just wait a little longer; he’ll be there.

    p.s. Our money’s on Holy Cow Crazy Pants

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    Growl and howl
    I hiked up Mount Monadnock today. I went there maybe 22 years ago with my father and Jared. So, it was kind of a pilgrimage, some type of celluar thing. Surprised I made it back alive. If I thought the climb up was tough with gravity holding me back, the descent was brutal with gravity pulling at amy feet until I could barely lift them. Soaked in the tub for 1/2 hour, and by golly I can walk. Been bicycling, as I have gotten myself into a cardio vascular concern. But, though the views are spectacular, it is a hard way to go.


    the stronger,more nimble pass me
    overtake me easily, quickly
    I move cautiously
    pick my footing carefully
    very cellular, engulfed in this canopy of green,but
    the wind cascades these trees that embrace me
    like the sound of the waves that wash over me
    as I walk along the shore
    I need to watch my step more closely
    here

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    It's warm and tropical, humid and balmy. the moon has climbed up thru tree branches, floats in the starless sky, ducks behind nearly invisible clouds and kept pace beside me as I drove south on the expressway, flickering behind the trees at times and bright and bold over open fields that raced by at highway speed. I saw you briefly, a flutter, a flicker at the boundary of vision and memory, and it gave me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that we can go from "Boo Qwilla Thrilla" to Mo's beautiful imagery in the same comments section, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes
    variety is the ho-spice of life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Holy Shnaynkie, you guys and gals have been busy while I was away. The Boo Qwilla Thrilla, I love it, let's go with it. Mac, you are my Don King, right down to the hair. I will post soon, we are now at Palo Alto settling in to the apartment, doing some [re-fight prep.

    ReplyDelete