Sunday, April 12, 2009

Killer bunny

Happy Easter! The bunny came again, mmboy I love those malted eggs. When I was a kid we got these giant chocolate-covered eggs that were filled with various things. I liked the nougat the best. Some of them had cream filling. The bunny is getting older and can't lug the heavy stuff anymore, so Peeps and malted eggs it is. We puffed a Peep up in the microwave, but not to the point of explosion, just distortion.

It would be cool to have a body like a Peep. My left hip is really falling apart, so I went to the hip doc. He took a pic and showed me how I had no cartilage left in there, and a cortisone shot wouldn't reallyhelp, I had to tough it out until the oncology docs said he could operate, maybe 5 years. Ouch, but I knew all this already.

I went to see my local oncology doc last Thurday, and everything is chugging along except my liver function tests were way above normal. He asked if I was taking anything new, or if I'd been drinking heavily. I did have a couple of vodka tonics when Beauch and I went camping a week ago, and another here and there, but 4 drinks in five months didn't do it. He asked what else I had changed, and I told him I started taking Tylenol Arthritis, basically time-release tylenol, on top of the other tylenol I take for headaches from other meds.

He suggested ibuprofen based products, but I told him I was allergic to aspirin and its derivatives. He asked if my donor was allergic to them, and when told she wasn't, he said Well then you aren't. I told him I had been told otherwise, but he reassured me they have seen the switch of allergies many times, and logically it makes sense, since allergies are a reaction of the immune system. So I took some ibuprofen, expecting to start a hives thing, but nothing happened. I will have to explore this with aspirin too, for all the heart health it provides.

He also didn't see a big problem with us traveling to England, Scotland and Ireland, since they have hospitals as advanced as ours. So we booked tickets for July 7-August 5, Dana, Mike, John the taller, and his enamorata Laura. Holy moly, should be great. Two small cars cost less than a van, and will be more peaceful we hope.

In a minute I am going to get some research done on camping somewhere between here and Texas. My brother and I are trying to hook up somewhere, and since I am untethered I can travel further. We were looking at Bryce Canyon until I saw the nighttime temps were in the twenties. I am pondering a visit to RI to see Mom and the RI gang, and I would be 1/3rd of the way already if we were camping near New Mexico. My next doc visit is in Stanford on May 7th, so that is the next limiting factor for me.

I would do as we did on one cross-country trip, with Beauch, and stop and golf every day and take 4 days to get to RI from New Mex. I could stop and visit Lisa and Manuel in N. Carolina, play their course before heading north. I haven't thought this through the whole way, but I'm working on it.

Dana was home on Spring Break starting last Friday, and by Saturday morning she realized that I was a listless slug, puttering around the house and making believe I was unhapy with the mundane drudgery of my life. She called me out, do SOMETHING, volunteer, whatever. So naturally all I could think was 'Run away, run away!' That's what I will do. I'll do something when I get back.

5 comments:

  1. John,

    Big congrats to you on your recent doc visit and getting the pass to see more of the world. Sorry about the hip though.

    I agree that it would be cool to have the body of a peep. I’ve always been under the impression that there are some serious design flaws in our anatomical structure. I often think of how cumbersome the arms are when I’m trying to go to sleep. Hell, there’s just not a good position to put them in; they’re sort of just flipping or flopping about and seem to serve no real purpose during that time. Their usefulness was certainly more important when we had to jump up from our cave nap and fight off some hungry predators looking for a late night snack of homosapien sashimi. But today, even the best beds do not have a tuck-away-the-arm-slot thingy. I think it would be much cooler if our arms just simply folded away somehow when we’re ready to call it a day. So, just think about that next time you crawl into bed. I mean, there actually a pain in the ass. And hey, I’m sure nuking a peep is illegal somewhere - but certainly not in Alabama.

    Sounds like things are looking up on the travel front. I did a camping/fishing trip in Bryce Canyon many, many years ago. It was one of the best fishing experiences of my life. Very cool fresh water streams where me and a friend caught some of the most wonderful trout for breakfast each morning. Well, I say camping but it was actually an RV. No TV though, so I suppose that qualifies as roughing it.

    Keep us posted and keep a goin.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy easter dear hop-a-long,

    glad to hear you will be hitting the open road, but if you come to RI, who we gonna talk to online?

    it is still freezing here; be sure to wear your easter Uggs.

    pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marta and Bob made s'mores for Easter brunch with Peeps. I don't think the Peeps liked it much, but it was a big hit with the rest of the Idaho brunch crowd. Keep this recipe in mind for when you're camping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey john if you're there (or checking in somewhere)

    just a wacky random thought but

    Mo is in North Carolina this week--so let me know if you are really headed on the cross country tour and I will give you his cell #, maybe arrange one of those RI moments, though he doesn't golf...

    I don't want to put my # on here or a lot of people might start calling me up but it is listed in my name in the town I live in and Earl is one of about 5 people who could tell you my cell phone number.

    xo
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if you are going to be in R.I. I would like to meet you.
    The MD'S were very optimistic last march 31st. The odds of my leukemia returning diminish greatly at the the 12th month mark, of the bone marrow transplant. That will be May 23 2009. A whole year has passed since the transplant. Sheesh!
    Bill Mcniff now living in Providence RI.

    ReplyDelete