Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Eyes without a face

Waric awaits. I had lab work done last week, and everything looks good, liver numbers are almost normal, barely anemic, immune system is fine. When I mentioned that I was losing strength in spite of working out, the doc told me that I was suffering from 'prednisone wasting', where over a long term of prednisone the long muscles, especially quadriceps, start weakening. Time to get off prednisone, in other words, so we are weaned back to 40mg every other day.

The mucositis in my mouth is better, but my eyes are getting worse. I went to see the eye doctor, and he showed that I am building scar tissue in the inside of my eyelids. The eyeball does not like that, it likes a nice smooth surface, and if left unchecked I could rub a hole in my cornea. That would be bad, and they would sew my eyelids shut for a few weeks to heal it. Hmmmm. So the path is to lubricate the eyes many times a day, and use restasis drops, and go back in a month. The eye doc also said stay out of the ocean, the salt water is just adding to your trouble. Just as well, my balance is so shot I can barely stay upright on dry land, forget about on a surfboard.

I am going back to RI on 9/14-9/22, to see my mom for her birthday, so all you crazy Waricians get ready. I have been taking my time writing this post and now it is Friday. I should have gotten this done as I was home without a car most of this week, and it has been 90+ out, just bearable in the house. Mike is in full swing at school, very busy, and Sean his carpool mate got sick, so I go without a car more than my share, that's the deal. Mike came home feeling very sick on Monday, flulike without a cough, but then mustered by Wednesday.

Dana is back at work full-time, which means at least nine-hour days plus some weekend hours. And it means I have to start thinking about making dinner again, which is just not my normal way of thinking. I was getting there in spring but floundered in summer. What is frozen that I should thaw for tomorrow?

It is now tomorrow, and the chicken is thawed, and it is bad, it has been thawed for days, as it turns out. This morning, Saturday, the TNT half-marathon team did a 6-mile training walk/run. I am trying to get under a 20-minute pace and hit it at 18 minutes/mile this am, so at least that. I did 3-mile walkd 3x this week and a 5 miler on Wednesday, so a 20 mile week. And I feel fine, meaning no worse, although the hip likes to sing me the blues now and then.

This has been a strange period, with Mike taking my car at least every other day. What do I do? I cleaned house, cleaned the garage, did some gardening, the laundry is all done, but I am having a real difficult time getting into the kitchen and caring about cooking. I need to tie it all up into a menu for the week and see how that goes, but Mike and Dana have been coming in from school at odd hours, so I have that excuse.

Maybe I will start doing market research and see if I can make more money with the money I have. I've been hunkered in CDs while this neoconomics finishes playing out. I can't think of a better way to stimulate the economy than by losing all my money in the market and going to work at Carl's Jr. I have started some genealogy research, so we'll see where that goes.

3 comments:

  1. so you are cleared for take-off...and that is 9 days you won't have to cook. Pioneer Pizza is still there.

    please let me know what you learn about making money. over here even money markett pays equal to cds, but I know there is a really stupid idea out there that will catch on big.
    I want to be like Forrest Gump with the fruit company and it might come to you while you are sitting on the bench waiting for Mike to bring back your car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to search the internet for intro CD rates to find good deals, like 4% on 12 months. Then, some banks will let you keep that rate on rollover if you add some amount to the CD. But you're right, a lot of money market accounts give equally shitty rates.

    If I could just get Mike to wash the car.... He is at his lake house with his girl, maybe toodling about, maybe sipping mint juleps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god it is scary to look--we could get 13% from a mexican bank that uses the money to fund high interest loans in Tiajuana, so that sounds pretty legit.
    plus ethical and green, too--we might be helping to support the medicinal herb farmers in your home state.
    maybe my online time should be limited to the jumble puzzles and multiplayer popword.

    ReplyDelete