Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Happy Birthday to my bone marrow!

That's right, it has been a year since we laid in the bone marrow donation from Lisa, day zero was 9/30/08.  That seems like a lifetime ago!  I just finished reading almost the entire blog, mostly because I was looking for some pictures I know are there but lost in massive hard drives/multiple user hell.  I need those pics for the speech I am going to give on Nov. 6th, at the big pre-race pasta party, and the process of writing that and rereading all that has happened makes me reflect on what has changed and what has not.


It brings tears to my dry and scarred up eyes reading all the comments of love and support from all of you, people from my past and from my present.  When this began in '05 I expected a lonely monk-like journey back to health, but that is not what happened.  Instead, all these people stepped forward to help me, to cover my back, to prop me up, to do what they could to help me get here.  I cannot thank all of you enough.  I don't know if I ever would have made it without all the support and encouragement and love.  One stumble and a lonely monk might topple off the path, but I had a whole team around me, so when I stumbled they held me up and urged me to keep-a-goin'.


Everything has changed and nothing is the same.  In spite of a reconfigured brain I do some of the same old stupid things I always did, which sounds contradictory to what I said in the last sentence.  What I mean is, when I do the same old stupid things, now they are far stupider.  I am like an older car now, so when I take a curve too fast I sway, and my wipers aren't wiping very well, my struts are shot, and my transmission doesn't mesh as well as before.  So I have to learn to drive differently, or pay the mechanic. 


My mom ended up in the hospital a few days ago, so she really wasn't feeling any better when I left.  She has pneumonia and they are working to control it with antibiotics.  I called the hospital and tried to get her into a single room, and they will do that when they have one.  How stupid is a system that puts people with complete strangers when they are at their most needy and vulnerable?  We need to rethink this.


So I regret not staying in RI an extra week, not just for Mom but also for the people I need to see, Mo and Paul M. and Bill McNiff and Roger and others.  Unfortunately I may have a return trip sooner than later, to help mom's recovery, and I will leave that open-ended.  I am doing as my wife suggested and signing up for some volunteer work, Hospice (uh-oh, here we go again) and the Literacy Council, so that will complicate things.  The Literacy Council may not want me since I pointed out 4 mistakes on their website, or maybe they will want me because of that.  That is one of my OCD manifestations, noticing misspelled words.  It is funny because I found a number of typos while going through my blog.


I started reworking this blog into a book, but it is going to be a massive job of editing.  And I have questions, like what if it made money, what cut do I have to give Mo and Pat and Mac and Manitoubou and others?  I think the comments make the blog what it is, funny and irreverent and hopeful.  I was imagining how it might be without that support and I wrote this, in part in response to the weekly prompt from the writing workshop I attended and still visit online.


My friends are tired, tired of me
being sick, it is
taking too long.
They wouldn’t say ‘Die or heal already’
but they might think it.
Like a coconut I have shed my hairy husk,
down to a hard kernel, a nut filled
with the milk of life.
I worry that I have become the cancer,
it is all that is left of me,
it taints my milk, and my friends
smell what they think is death.
I must rise up and crack this hull,
spill out this life and
show them I am here, I am fine,
they are dying too.


My son Mike said that was 'woeful', and I had to remind him that I have a poetic license with no expiration date.  And furthermore, he is the one that dressed up as Nancy of Sex Pistols/Sid Vicious fame.  Dang, I used to think he might look too pretty!

14 comments:

  1. so how much do you think we'll be making? should I quit my day job? no, I'd better not, you might be back and want to complain about the ho-spicy food some more.
    sure hope your mom is ok...though it would be good to have you in town longer, collecting more stories, interacting with Mo and his jade.
    happy birthday twin blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. while comforting an old friend of my father's
    my father lay in a coma
    and my mind like the howling wind sought the cracks in my house of cards
    though initially peeved at this man's loss
    a lifelong friend, my father
    compared to mine
    i became aware
    the gift he had given me
    allowing me to comfort him
    comforted me

    Thank you for letting me drop in and drop out, and be part of your story. The courage of your expression and the skill of your craft leave me in awe. I hope you write your book, I believe you will write a good one.
    I think, in answer to your question if the book makes money you might like to bring us random bloggers together to embrace and share our good fortune, your success.
    You could send me a plane ticket. As Pat says we always have beer, if you bring it.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. as pat doesn't always say...
    now that I am over my initial greed and my determination to pretend I didn't even SEE the poemery that begins with calling your friends tired...

    I guess I could admit that you could give yourself some credit here. I ask you, who but you could have brought such a cast of characters to one virtual place in real time and then not be able to get them to shut up?!

    I have many friends with blogs, many of the blogs about subjects a little cheerier than cancer. and I even read a lot of them and sometimes I learn things and always I am blown away by the beauty and light on Sue's.

    but I never had so many laughs or felt like old friends with people I've never met as I have here at the blog bar. so there's a theme in there somewhere to assist you with your editing but damned if I can get it into one sentence yet.

    where's Mac, he'll know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, sorry I missed You in Warwick. I am just 10 minutes away. If you plan to see your mom again let me know. I will pay more carefull attention to the blog for info.
    Still not working, all four eye duct drainage glands are plugged with fair results. Very wary of the prednisone on only 10mg but still holding me back from becoming normal. Hopefully after Oct 9th I will be down to 5 mg a day. bill mcniff

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to be able to wish you a very Happy Birthday! My sister has multiple myeloma and they are talking about a bone marrow transplant. I keep telling her I have a neighbor who is doing well. (That's you! although apparently well is a relative word..so not every thing is great but heck that's life, and it's better than the alternative.) You have done some amazing things just in this first year of new life! Thanks for sharing.
    Blogon,

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bill McNiff, next time I am in RI I will be sure to look you up. Shoot me an email, slofiores@hotmail.com, and then I will have your email.

    Janice, hopefully they are talking about an autologous transplant, meaning her own bone marrow taken out, cleansed of cancer, and retransplanted. No graft v. host issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Pat, we are going to make so much it will be a good thing we don't care about money. I am trying to decide which island nation to buy, so I can make an entire ethnic group happy!

    Mo, what an awesome idea, all of us together on the island, boogeying and grooving, and we all get there on the Holy Cow yacht you help me build!

    ReplyDelete
  8. all of you on a yacht that Mo builds......sounds like an experiment someone might want to study. How about writing the book on this yacht with Pat editing and Mo sailing, Mac cooking, John spinning the yarns..

    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto what Pat said. She always manages to express what I would say if I had the grace to articulate my mangled thoughts. Also ditto Paragraph two of what Mo said. As soon as Mac posts something I will ditto that too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. manitouboo--
    how do you know? I might be reading your mind!
    and where IS Mac, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  11. HO-SPICE ? ? ? Hot damn John.

    Hey, I hope your mom is feeling better. Our best wishes on that front.

    Where the hell have I been? I’m not even sure myownself.

    You think US Air sucks? They have no leg up on Dell. That Dell laptop I bought earlier this year had a motherboard and memory cards right out of the Exorcist. What a piece of crap! Once I add on my time talking with Dell tech support over a period of six months; talking with Microsoft tech support (that’s who Dell tried to blame the problem on); buying Cover My Ass Insurance on it; sending it back to Dell; Dell overhauling it and sending it back to me; Dell finally throwing in the towel and sending me a replacement – I figure the original $700 price tag has ballooned to about a $8,000 laptop. Well, I suppose that’s one way to stimulate the economy.

    Hang in there Buddy. Keep a goin.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mac I have a nice computer named after you and it has never given me a bit of trouble. Why not learn from Forrest Gump and invest in a fruit company?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you see Pat, that's exactly what I did when I bought that Dell, invested in a fruit (lemon) company.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  14. you and I share the same OCD problem of checking spelling. I like to print out project descriptions from company websites before I go in for an interview. I also like to print out some company information and bios if any are available. It is painful how many spelling errors are included in some of the "marketing materials" I find on the websites.

    I debate with myself if I should tell the company their website has some pretty bad spelling errors which give a sentence entirely different meanings. Filed instead of field, promject management, must posess good writen and verbal communication skills...you get the picture.

    It is hard to believe it has been over a year since day zero! I'll never forget seeing you at Stanford before the doctors really took your system down. Knowing what you have gone through and are still going through makes any problem I may have seem trivial. Kirstin and I are happy for you and the entire Fiore family and hope mother Fiore is feeling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete