Thursday, October 08, 2009

Rocky start


Some years back Mo sent me a walking stick inserted through a rock, very cool use of the items always at hand.  I may have mentioned in some old blog that those were our essential toys as kids, a stick and a rock, and Mo has this company, 'Sticks and Stones' that makes 'Walking Sticks That Rock'.  He is at sticksandstones@surfglobal.net.  So, as I said a few posts back, here is a picture of the interactive 'Stones and a Stick' piece I sent to Mo, and which he has placed in a Zen sand garden.  This is simply some driftwood and some polished jade.  Awesome. 
We seek feng shui,
but in our own way

we hope that feng shui
finds us.

For many years Beauch and I have been going up to Plaskett Creek Campground, about 70 miles north, in Big Sur, surfing at Sand Dollar Beach, and hiking down into Jade Cove to collect whatever jade we could find.  This is California jade, nephrite, not nearly as workable as Chinese jade, jadeite, because nephrite is harder.


Google Earth shot of the area, Jade Cove on SW of pic, Sand Dollar beach on NW of pic

Sand Dollar Beach

A pretty big chunk of jade at the Jade Festival

In the early days we found some pretty nice pieces of jade by scrounging around in the coves.  Divers would get the big pieces such as the one above, called 'Blue Angel.'  The increased popularity of this spot (thanks to the internet and word of mouth) has Jade Cove pretty picked over, and the campground has changed from first-come first-served to half reservations, so now we don't go there until right after a big storm in the winter.  It's wet and cold, but the storm will churn up some jade, and we do the dance with the waves and end up wet and little jade.

Jade hunting is just a meditative ritual anyway, and I have a bunch and Mike has even more.  I finally got a decent tumbler and it is tumbling away in my garage right now, and when I have it all done I will give the tumbler to Mike.  He likes his jade in its natural state, so he may not use the tumbler, and then I will sell it.

The annual 'Jade Festival' is this weekend, and we may day trip up there on Saturday, although I am bored with the festival (it's pretty small and nothing new) but it's a nice drive.  A bunch of hippies and kooks and rich Monterey people buying rocks will be there, grooving to the music.

With all the money we are going to make turning this blog into a bestselling book, Mo is going to make us a two-masted sloop, the 'HolyCowKetcher', and all of us will write the sequel to 'Holy Cow', about surviving at sea with a bunch of loonies.  Mac will be blasting my mucositis with down home cooking with Ho-spice, grilled on his converted Dell laptop.  Mo is playing guitar, Pat riding the bow waves and playing with dolphins, and Manitouboo and Jeanne sunning herself, and I will man the poop deck.  I know I have mixed up a slew of nautical terms; can I steer from the poop deck?  Does anyone need to steer?  Where the heck are we going?  We may need a bigger boat.

Obviously I am still in the grips of prednisone.  It's almost 5 am and I've been up since 3.  Every other day doses means every other other day early awakening.  I'm good on 5 hours, I guess.  Maybe a bit rambly and jangly, but I am here. 


The writing prompt at 'Writing Through Cancer' this week was 'Nature offers us many images and metaphors to describe the emotions and experiences of cancer on our lives. Think about your cancer journey, the seasons of survivorship, the seasons of life, of nature. What images or metaphors come to mind? Write about seasons, wherever they take you.'  So, my mind spun out and I wrote this. 
In 2002 I was living in Frigiliana, Spain, an Andalusian hill town. We had rented an old house near the top of the hill where the Moors had made their last stand as the Christians took back their country. In that last stand, the Moors were at the top of the hill, and when it became apparent they would be overrun, the women gathered their children and leapt to their deaths off the cliffs at the back of the hill.


In our yard in Spain there was an old lemon tree, twisted and gnarled but still producing lemons. One day my brother called to tell me that our father was very sick with cancer and probably would not recover. I asked how long, and he replied ‘Weeks.’


Soon after, we had a tremendous windstorm, and when I looked out at the yard in the morning, the old lemon tree had cracked down the middle. I asked the landlady if she would have it mended; half of it was salvageable. I came to think of that old lemon tree as a symbol of my father. The gardener came and cut down the tree. My brother called again and told me to hurry home, time was up. When I arrived I was too late to say goodbye to my father, he had died.
Rocks, sticks, trees, earth, sky.  Makes me think of an e.e. cummings poem I love.

anyone lived in a pretty how town


by e. e. Cummings

anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did


Women and men(both little and small)
cared for anyone not at all
they sowed their isn't they reaped their same
sun moon stars rain


children guessed(but only a few
and down they forgot as up they grew
autumn winter spring summer)
that noone loved him more by more


when by now and tree by leaf
she laughed his joy she cried his grief
bird by snow and stir by still
anyone's any was all to her


someones married their everyones
laughed their cryings and did their dance
(sleep wake hope and then)they
said their nevers they slept their dream


stars rain sun moon
(and only the snow can begin to explain
how children are apt to forget to remember
with up so floating many bells down)


one day anyone died i guess
(and noone stooped to kiss his face)
busy folk buried them side by side
little by little and was by was


all by all and deep by deep
and more by more they dream their sleep
noone and anyone earth by april
wish by spirit and if by yes.


Women and men(both dong and ding)
summer autumn winter spring
reaped their sowing and went their came
sun moon stars rain



On November 7, I will finish that half-marathon that I have been working towards, and I will have given my speech.  Soon, I won't need to see the doctors more than anyone else, and the medications will be done.  This will be a funky period, the end of an era (it better be).

So now I am pondering my next act.  I don't see anyone hiring me, a 54 year-old two-time cancer warrior with big holes in his resume and memory.  I am not looking for advice; I know it's on me to come up with something.  I will start with volunteerism and take some classes (tai chi, Spanish, embroidery for my xx chromosome blood) and ponder yonder.  I can still do the daily jumble in under a minute, sometimes ten seconds, but who cares?  Look what that did for the Rain Man.


4 comments:

  1. now we have really come full circle--

    where are we going? isn't that where we started?
    we're goin' fishin, this is Dr. Cheswick...

    but thanks for leaving me in the water and with dolphins, very thoughtful! no place like home...

    speaking of full circle, wait until you see what Mo is sending you now!!!!! he just brought home some bee-you--teefull oval wooden settings for the interactive jade--
    there's more but I already blabbed enough of the surprise! it will keep you busy and interactive for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello--
    My name is Jean and I’m a volunteer with the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients, caregivers, and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of transplant from diagnosis through survivorship by providing vital information and personalized support services. We subscribe to Google blog alerts, where we found your story.
    Congratulations on the first anniversary of your transplant! You may be interested in our "Celebrating 2nd Birthdays" survivor recogntion program. To learn more about this and other programs and services, please visit www.nbmtlink.org or call 800-546-5268.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but just couldn't avoid poemry here.

    We wade for jade
    Slog the blog
    Volunteer for time
    And continue to climb
    To higher peaks
    Avoid the geeks
    Whose Dell devices
    Are not ho-spices

    Mo’s sticks of stone
    Are his alone
    Mine is unique
    It’s very sleek

    We shared a Christmas
    In Fragliana
    Was long before
    We knew Obama

    If the blog finds its way
    To become a book
    What will I cook
    On that Dell notebook

    I can see Pat now
    A mermaid on the bow
    Miss D close behind
    With normalcy in mind

    John’s on the deck
    Which one is poop
    Is that a real deck
    Or something to scoop

    Where the hell am I goin
    And where have I been
    It’s an amazing ride
    I’m glad I have gin

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry too, but can't avoid answering

    if I'm dumbing it down
    it's ok with me
    but I like your poemry
    way more than e.e.

    lower case is ok,
    to me all the same
    but I gotta wonder, do you think
    he made up that last name?

    coffee bean for me,
    juniper berry for you
    nature's gifts to our brains
    help us do what we do

    you can't make lemonade
    with a computer so smelly
    so just stick with the ho-spice
    you farmer in the deli

    ReplyDelete