Sunday, October 18, 2009

Muggy mug, as they say

Friday
It sure has been a sweaty week.  I am in Tampa airport typing this.  I just spent the week packing up my Mom's personal items from her Florida snowbird house and shipping them north, and making the place saleable.  We may have a buyer on the line, we'll see if I get the contract tomorrow.


Good old USAir forgot to load the pilot's cabin with oxygen on Monday, so I got to hang in Phoenix for an extra 5 hours, landed in Tampa at 10pm, and made it to Estero at 1am.  Luckily I had plenty of time to get everything done, wrapped it all up this am at 11, left my bathroom kit and bag of chocolate chip cookies sitting in the driveway, and drove through 2 hellacious rainstorms (squalls) that lasted about 5 minutes but were treacherous.


It was cooking hot and muggy in Estero, in the 90s on temp and humidity, but I had the AC cranked and work to do inside, so no matter except when I tried to do my walks.  Luckily it is a 'rest' week, meaning only 3 mile walks.

I drove through two squalls on the way to the airport.  It was pouring so hard I got the Corolla I rented airborne off the wake of an 18-wheeler I passed at 80 mph, did an Ollie off the guardrail, and right back in the fast lane.  Pretty smooth, as they say. 


Sunday
Been up since 3, who needs sleep?  Troubling times, trouble in mind.  I think my old cat is lying out in the yard somewhere, dead.  Woody has been having nightmares this morning, lying here and moan/barking (barmoaning?).  Does he know something I don't, in tune with a fellow animal?  I'll have to go look for Figgy.

Instead of doing the 7-mile training yesterday, I went to a 5 hour Literacy Council training session, so now I can read and maybe help somone else to as well.  After next Saturday's training, that is.  So I had to do the 7 miles yesterday, and ran out of daylight and only did 4, and now I have to 3 today instead of rest.  Next Saturday I will have go 12; the whole week is very tough with a total of 32 miles, yikes, my hip is crying out.  Just when I need those steroids they are being stepped down. 

We may have reached the lower limits for a while, because that mucositis in my mouth that was going away is lingering at an annoying level, and my eyes are still dry as a Utah BBQ.  It finally rained here in SLO, while I was in Forida.  Our umbrella took flight and landed next door, with no injuries.  We thought Mikey was inside the umbrella, but it turned out he was hiding in the trundle drawer under his bed.  FOX news was going to get this live, but found out we didn't subscribe to Conservapedia and that was, as they say, poop without a fly.

The finches in the yard have winged their beaks, as they chirp, at the new lot of seed I bought them.  I had to return it all and get the preferred and pricier nyjer thistle seed, sheesh, picky birds.  I guess here in the 'Arbors' (chirped while looking down their beaks), they have other options, so walk the talk or take a walk, as they say.

By the way, if I see them, I mean them they who say, I will display, so to say, some dismay at their way of having so much to say, enough said.

Speaking of which, if you didn't see the poemerizing from Mac and Pat in the last post, go back and read it.  Oh yeah, I researched who owns what, and what you post in a blog is yours unless you give that right away, as many sites make you do by having you check some box.  Who reads that crap, as they say?  So anyway, I will be sending all you commenters a contract that you will have to sign to get your cut of the action, your piece of the pie, as they say.  It will look like this, but don't worry, just sign it and send it back:
I hereby agree to give John Fiore all rights in regard to everything I ever write, and any money I ever make or have.  Agreed, check here.

I have to get a smaller font so I can be more verbose and cut down on mailing costs, further spurring our economy.  Always happy to do my part, as they say.  This week's cancer writing prompt came with this cheery poem:

Larson's Holstein Bull



by Jim Harrison


Death waits inside us for a door to open.
Death is patient as a dead cat.
Death is a doorknob made of flesh.
Death is that angelic farm girl
gored by the bull on her way home
from school, crossing the pasture
for a shortcut. In the seventh grade
she couldn't read or write. She wasn't a virgin.
She was "simpleminded," we all said.
It was May, a time of lilacs and shooting stars.
She's lived in my memory for sixty years.

Death steals everything except our stories.

Monday quick update

I found Figgy down by the creek out back of my house yesterday, and went down there to get her.  She was still alive but looked very bad, and I didn't want to leave her for the crows or raccoons, so I carried her back to the garage and put her in her bed.  I just came back from the vet, and they agreed that she was beyond repair.  I will bury her ashes in her favorite yard spot, goodbye Figgy.



On a lighter note, I forgot to mention my washing machine adventure on last Friday morning.  I woke at Mom's in FLA around 5, and decided I should start cleaning the sheets and towels I used.  Normally I leave my dirty clothes until I get home, in case anyone tries to steal my stuff and can be warded off by the odor, but also because I am generally vacationing when I am travelling, so why use vacation time to clean clothes?


In this case, I had a half load, so I threw my dirty clothes in, started the machine, and it filled up.  Then, when the cycle kicked to churn, the motor made that sickening smell of $$$ burning, and the breaker popped.  Aaaarrrgggghhh!  I saw the slack time built into the schedule going away. 


I started taking out the clothes and sheets and towels, wringing them out and putting them in a hamper, to go to the laundromat.  I then hand-drained the machine, and with about 6" of water to go, I was about to take off the outer skin and decided to try the machine without much load.  Lo and behold, it drained, so I tried a short cycle with no clothes, and it worked!  Back in went the laundry, and all was fine, disaster averted.


There is some lesson in there about how to start up things that have been sitting idle for a time.  I think there was probably a small rust buildup or lime crust that needed a gentle nudge to knock off.


Make sure you check the comments; I am miffed to find I cannot make money on Manny, Mo, and Mac, the poemerizing posse.

7 comments:

  1. there are no words where the winds don't blow
    time passes quickly
    dry river beds become rivers
    rain rolls down my cheeks
    as I walk in the northeaster
    dressed in my foul weather gear
    to hear the waves tumble on the shore
    see the northerly winds of late fall push
    push the tops of the trees and rustle their leaves
    i walked a path into the woods away from the shore
    under the pines
    away from the incessant wind
    quieter
    the rain not as heavy
    i passed piles of rubbish left behind
    i found a letter box against a tree trunk
    hidden amongst the pine needles
    i had arrived too late
    the information was indiscernible
    it is an odd journey


    mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    Although I’m elated with the fact that you’re doing so well and pouring your energy into training and cross-continental travel, you really must get a grip on allowing the finches to manipulate you. Perhaps Figgy has figured this caper out and is holding out in a little Chez Fon Fon cave out back somewhere, feasting on Ho-Spiced Croque Monsieur a la Finch.

    You mention Woody having nightmares. You know, that has a totally different meaning down here in Alabama – usually following too much white lightening and a bad experience at the local trailer bar. It’s quite ironic that such a condition is followed by a late night of “barmoaning,” – yet another difference in the coastal jargon.

    I was also quite surprised to hear that the Literacy Council out there is focused on reading skills and enhancement. Y’all are so sifistikaded. Here, it’s a state-wide effort to keep cats indoors and train them to use the litter box. Thus, the Alabama Litter-acy Council was formed, in conjunction with Sandbox Enterprises. The council is currently under a great deal scrutiny on this, the first day of the federal corruption trial of Birmingham’s mayor, who’s charged with, among other things, funneling a bunch of shit to organizations who were taking shit from local governmental officials.

    Are those grinches
    Merely finches
    Or are they Ho-Spice
    In Figgy’s vise

    In Slo the neighbors see brollies flying
    Was Mikey in there
    Or was he lying

    No oxygen in US Air
    Is that what we expect
    When we pay for this fare

    Fox News has now an APB
    For a Tampa fiasco
    Near the sea
    There’s a search for a man
    In a Boo-Qwilla shirt
    Who sped past a truck
    Spun out in the dirt
    It was a guardrail Ollie
    That was his folly
    It’s believed he’s in Slo
    Where the hell did he go
    There’s evidence of some chocolate chip cookies
    And bathroom junk
    Left by a rookie

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. for a litterate crew all in the same boat
    we sure don't think alike to whatever you wrote
    we all see the same picture of tweety expressions
    but are left with so many conflicting impressions
    I see those grinch finches all happy and fat
    and I'm thinking, yeah, they ganged up on that cat.
    if they bullied the guy in the boo qwilla shirt,
    easy enough to litter kitty around in the dirt
    so think how you will in the south, on the coast...
    dawg's howling in fear he will be their next toast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I will have to think long and hard on all of it. I forgot to put in the blog my washing machine karmafest on Friday, so I will add that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WADDAYA MEAN, can't make money???

    I am NOT believing that one. I'm counting on making more than we can count.
    and of course...
    we'll eat good when we get to the hideout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you’re off on a trip
    And going stag
    Lighten the drag
    On that Maytag

    You say your load
    You did behold
    Your shorts are soiled
    Your plans are spoiled
    The towels and sheets
    Of Floridian elites
    Put a damper
    On your hamper

    So shorten your cycle
    Then recycle
    Run it on low
    Back to Slo

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok
    from the "death steals everything but our stories" category...this latest Laundro-Mac contribution reminds me of an old friend I used to have, Judy. we were neighbors in Matunuck at a time when nothing was too funny in either of our lives. but every time we were together we ended up laughing our heads off anyway.
    I inherited that line about the hideout from her. who knows where she got it from. or anything else she blurted out. don't talk through the screen, you'll strain your voice!...next time you cut across my lawn, go around! or my all time favorite, when three women in our "moonladies" group all got pregnant in the same week and thought that maybe there was something in the air...
    "LEGS!"
    anyway, night before she closes on the sale of her house, the buyers are about to back out unless she finally gets all the junk out of the cellar. so her fiance, she and I are repeatedly filling a truck for endless dump runs. the last thing to go, up a twisty flight of stairs, is a very heavy old clunker of a washing machine and of course we don't have a hand truck or a plan.
    so the three of us are squeezed under there or between the appliance and the wall, struggling inch by inch up the stairs when she suddenly yells for us to stop and starts fiddling with the knobs.
    slightly exasperated boyfriend asks her, Judy what the hell are you doing.
    and she cheerfully replies as if it should be self-evident:

    I'm switching it to a light load.

    ReplyDelete