Sunday, June 20, 2010

Obstructed

Writing this Saturday morning:
Here I am in the hospital again, French Hospital. I’ve been here since Monday night, and now it’s Saturday morning. I have a bowel obstruction that won’t resolve. This is amazing to me, but I brought it on myself, I think.

After receiving methotrexate on June 4, I was to follow with dexamethasone for a week. I realized on Monday the 14th, as I was getting ready for my next dose of methotrexate, that I had continued the dexamethasone all along. I had been constipated since Friday, and when I mentioned this to the doctor he said I had constipated myself with the decamethasone and the vincristine.

So he sent me home to treat first the top down, with Miralax. One dose should do but use up to 4. If that does nothing, then start working from the bottom up. The Miralax did nothing, so I went and bought Fleet enemas. My body absorbed the first one no problem, nothing ever came out. The second met with similar results, very little action.

Meanwhile, mind you, I had stopped eating anything around Sunday afternoon, and was getting pretty hungry and swollen. Dana wanted to know what trips I would like to go on over summer vacation, and all I could think of was Old Faithful or maybe a gas extrusion lab. I called doc and he suggested stool softener, Colace, and that said if it didn’t would in a couple of hours, I needed to get to the ER for Xrays.

So Monday night I went into ER, very quiet there, and they took some pictures and sure enough I am obstructed. They inserted this horrible tube thing down my nose to drain anything they could, and put me in the middle bed in a room. On my left was a dementia patient, and he was screaming in pain, at times coherently. He had a 24 hour caregiver, big guy. He would then calm down and ask crazy questions, and try to leave his bed. His caregiver spoke in a loud and firm voice, and their TV blared. On my right was a man sleeping and snoring like no other. He was a hurricane, a vortex, sucking all the air in the room and expelling it with huge force. He did this for 23 hours straight, only waking to incoherently answer some question.

I had reached insanity. In the middle of the night I called the nurse and asked to be discharged, and told her the pain I was having was better resolved at home. I demanded the head nurse, and when she came she was angry, telling me I could not drain this obstruction if I left. I decided to tough it out with the promise of better digs the next day.

So the sleeper left and I took his spot, where there was a TV and I could watch the fix known as NBA complete its debacle. Right across from this room is the nurse’s station, so they put all the trouble patients in this room for easy access. I’d like to think I was there only because it was the last room. The demented man was still there, being demented, so I asked for a quiet room at the end, and that’s where I am now.

It’ 6:00 in the morning, and I had a great night sleep. There is a man in the other bed, sleeping quietly. I will be going in for another x-ray soon, to see if this obstruction is moving. I get broth, jello, juice, more juice and tea and sherbet at meals. I drink it all, bloat for a while, then that all absorbs. The last food I had was Sunday night I think. I am hungry.


Sunday afternoon, I am home. The obstruction is gone, and I feel much better, but I weigh about 152. Very weak, so I have to get back to a walking regimen, and some small weights, just like Bill says. I really feel like it has been taken out of me this time, it was just so unexpected to have to stay in the hospital another week. Oh well, life goes on.

6 comments:

  1. John You had every right in the world to blow your stack!!!!!! Christ what you are having to endure and what you went through!!!!With your compromised immune system what the f*#k are they doing putting you in the open ER. You are one tough SOB. I am glad you are home. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a revoltin' development...I thought I had sworn off ranting about the polar bear thing but gotta say it--maybe zoo would be better than hospital; at least there is the plexiglass to separate the animals.
    glad to hear you are home, was thinking of you on father's day and hope you got to celebrate in some way.
    and hope you get to take that short walk on this, the longest day of the year.
    I love the solstice because I am too foolish and practiced at denial to think about what it means for the days to come--only know a lot of light today and hope you soak some up.
    off to "my office" to get a head start, see the sunrise and as always, avoid prime time.
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy (non) crap John,

    I’m glad you didn’t go into extrusion detail when that thing finally opened up. Man, talk about toxic pollution. Just how much of that floor at French did they have to evacuate when that shutoff valve released? I mean, geez, to think you have to be in the hospital for shit like that.

    It’s good to hear you’re back home and away from Berserk Boulevard. Maybe it’s the “French” name that attracts the somewhat less than conventional patient there (you being the exception, of course).

    I was thinking about you the other day, while reading my dremel tool book. I noticed some engraving heads that are suited for working on jade. I began to picture your incredible Holy Cow journey depicted around the circumference of the jade fountain; one whole level dedicated to the Boo Qwilla Thrilla.

    Keep a goin Buddy. Let’s give Pat more solstice days to write about for years to come.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was some crappy news. Stacking patients 3 to a room is just not conducive to healing. One of the reasons I plan to stay in Santa Barbara is Cottage Hospital is going to all private rooms. Check it out and maybe next time you feel an obstruction coming on you can head down here for a visit.
    http://www.cottagehealthsystem.org/tabid/414/Default.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,

    How you doin buddy? No news has us on the edge of our seats out here.

    I hope you're hanging in there and healing well.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, John, enquiring minds need to know

    you aren't gonna leave the blog on this shitty note much longer, are you?

    have you been able to take a walk?

    pat

    ReplyDelete