Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A regular guy

Things are flowing along just fine these days. I started walking regularly, a little over a mile a day, and I have been active around the house. I even went to the driving range on Monday, first time in six months. I didn't swing hard, since I have no left hip, but just tried to stay balanced, and it went well. So, no hip turn, shorter distance, but who cares? I see a twilight round in my future.

I am getting chemo as described before, every ten days. We have dropped the vincristine because of the stomach problems it causes, and the neuropathy has spread in my hands and feet. I couldn't type before, and now, sheesh. Otherwise, not much negative effect, mild nadir around days 4-6 after the chemo, like today and yesterday, for a few days, just feeling a little low energy and stomach ache. My legs are feeling the effects of adding walking, and with Metamucil every night, I am as regular as the sunrise.

Dana and Stacy are at the world's happiest place, Disneyland. They went down yesterday, coming back today. I am spending my days just puttering around, driving Dana nuts, moving stuff around. I have spent a little time working on the blog-to-book project, but not nearly enough. It seems too daunting. I am hoping to go spend 4-5 days with my brother at Big Bear lake, in a cabin a friend of mine has offered us to use there. That would be right after chemo in the 7th, coming back the 11th. I have to be back for an appointment with Social Security, very important.

So that's the nut of it. I am actually considering putting on the wet suit and flailing in the ocean, we'll see. Maybe just with a boogie board, because I don't think I could motor my surfboard for more than 15 minutes. I might drown trying.

I forgot to add this poem:


Gathering

I am gathering things,
living things,
bribing them to come closer
with seeds and nuts,
asking them with food and water to open to me,
begging them to show their beauty,
to display their force of life
so that I can breathe it, see it, feel it,
gather it into my arms and my mind.
I walk the dog and smell the roses,
the orange-reds and pinks are best,
and the honeysuckle melts me,
and I hold those scents of Eden in my mind.
The flowers are a glorious palette,
every color I ever wanted to be,
rainbows scattered in my garden.
All this life force can’t sustain me, I know,
but it charms me so that I
feel less pain, and I step outside myself.

I sleep with the window open
and the fan on, and hear the sound
of water rushing down the street as the
neighbor’s irrigation leaks,
and I am by a river in the Sierras,
wind rushing in my tent,
nestling in my bag,
sleeping the sleep of the healthy wanderer.
When the steroids wake me too soon,
I rise back to reality, ready or not
to greet the day, thank the world
for another day, to gather beauty and breath.

8 comments:

  1. It’s great to hear from you John. What wonderful news – you out walking and hitting golf balls. Is a 9 hole challenge in your near future? Wish I could be there to join you.

    Take care and keep a goin John.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I wish I could be there for the boogey boarding--though over here the water is 65+ so at least I don't need the wetsuit

    glad you can type again. I feel better knowing you are out and about, bothering people and keeping in touch with your friends at social security.

    big bear looks beautiful, send us a lot of pictures

    pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. john, I have been reading the blogs, but I don't have much to say. I am not who I was nor who I will be. I saw some nice well defined clouds today riding in the car with vinny and his pal mike.

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poemry John.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that wasn't our irrigation leaking... Keep sharing, breathing and gathering beauty
    ~Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,
    Pat says that it is one poem. I saw two, no matter, they were very good, and touched me deeply.

    the fire within

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  7. JF

    a few years ago my mother's youngest sister who had been fighting cancer was told not to buy any green bananas, moved up the date of her son's wedding because she probably wouldn't make it through the summer. we all gulped our drinks between sobs as they did the mother/son dance to have I told you lately that I love you, like a combo Irish wake plus bride.
    but while he is recently divorced, she is still here. she emails me every day with some detail about something she really enjoyed or appreciated, even if it is the view out her window at 3am because she doesn't sleep. so today I sent her a copy of your poemery (with appropriate citations and copyright infringement warnings)

    can I copy and paste in here? about to find out--yup and here is what I got back

    Patty,

    John is so talented. the poem is really beautiful. I admire his courage. I printed it out so that I can look at it from time to time.

    Love,

    Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. One poem, two poem,
    rose poem, water poem.

    I don't know, I see it both ways. Whatever falls out some times, is what I get.

    Thanks Aunt Anne.

    ReplyDelete