Friday, September 10, 2010

Goodbye Mom

In Grace,
a fighter and a lover,
a nurturer, wife and mother and daughter,
raised in
fighting times, tough times,
worked hard to rise up,
feisty, full of life and
persistence,
smart and wise and
unwilling to be beaten down.
We are here now
thanks to her,
go in Grace.


My mom was such a fighter that she was hanging on until she had said goodbye to all her children, and was waiting on my brother and I to make it back to RI. Frank made it Wednesday, and I got there at ten yesterday morning. In spite of how weak she was, she acknowledged our presence, struggling to get her piercing blue eyes open and to say hello, and Frank and I went back after lunch to sit with her. Each of us spoke to her, telling her what a good mom she was, and giving her permission to stop fighting, that it was okay with us. It’s kind of ridiculous to think that she wanted or needed our permission, but I think she was fighting hard to see all her children one last time.

Soon my mom became very labored in her breathing, and the nurse told us she may be transitioning. My brother was holding her hand, and I took her other hand, and she passed away. A great woman has moved on, free of this mortal pain, and my family appreciates all your thoughts and condolences.

She lived through the Depression as a child and teen, and was shaped in part by that experience. Her dad was a proud submarine mechanic in the great war, and then found work as a custodian. Mom told me how she and her mom would save their cigarette butts, and then put a pin through the ends and smoke the remainders. When I was 2 and still in diapers, she was caring for Frank at 5, Joanna at 4, me at 2, my newborn sisters Lisa and Leslie, and her mom, who was terminally ill. My dad was forever working, trying to bring in enough for our family to get ahead.

We were able to move to a bigger house in the suburbs, and mom went off to college while taking care of us, earning her masters degree and becoming a teacher. She was a very hard-working and intelligent woman, and taught us a work ethic and perseverance that has helped us in our lives. I could always count on her for some guidance when things were difficult, but she would never interfere in my life, never let me hide behind her apron strings. We will miss her.

9 comments:

  1. John,

    I’m so glad to hear you got to say goodbye to your mom.

    Your mom was a true success story from the great depression and the great generation. It took a pretty special woman to go back to school in those days and rack up a couple of degrees, while raising a larger than normal family.

    I’m sorry for your loss John. I do hope you’re able to continue to focus on all the good she brought to the world and allow those forces to guide your thoughts and recollections.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good boy Johnny,
    That's how we should all go out, surrounded by love. When everything settles down we need to celebrate her life and catch up.

    Love and comfort to you and your sweet brother and sisters.

    Paulie Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    I am glad that you were able to say goodbye to your mom. From everything I've read in these pages about her, she was an exceptional woman. Deepest sympathy to you and your family.
    Lisa (Stevens)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing Grace she was, from what you have written, John. We are grateful you had those last moments with her. It was a gift.

    Our sympathy and love to you and your family, whom being close to right now is so important.

    Bruce and Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mac, Lisa,

    thought you'd want to know I am home from the Mrs. Fiore memorial service, have seen the holy cow and heard rumors of many stories to come in time, especially regarding the demise of the roadtrip mobile, that winna-loser.

    John's mom was always really nice to me, even though I pretty much tried to haunt their house for most of jr high and high school. I have thought of her many times over the years, especially since I have a son now who is a lot like John was way back then, god help me.

    Mrs. Fiore, if you're still reading this somewhere, I never did learn to do things in the exact right order, but every time I feed a teenage kid I somehow feel like I'm paying it backwards.

    love

    pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update Pat. Glad you could make it to Mrs. Fiore’s service.

    No roadmobile? Say it ain’t so. I was picturing a tandem Boo Qwilla convoy crisscrossing the US of A, followed by the ghost of Charles Kuralt, reporting his “On The Road” segment from his own Bago.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your mom, John, but how wonderful that your brother and you could be present as she died. These are moments of complete grace.

    Thanks for the blog, the poems, the saga.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. John,

    So sorry to hear about your loss. Your Mom's sounds like she was a wonderful and strong woman. She had to be pretty tough to put up with you and your friends...I can just imagine...but she sounds like she had a full life!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete