Saturday, April 23, 2005

Hakuna matata - bless you

I didn’t have much to say this week, so I didn’t say it. About the only eventful thing that happened this week is I didn’t throw up on anyone at dinner at the 1865 restaurant on Tuesday night. Our great friend Gerardo came in from Madrid, so we had a nice cookout dinner at Stacy’s on Sunday, and then on Tuesday Gerardo took us all out to dinner. I had a shot of cytarabine and of procrit that morning, and have never had any reaction to those two. Doesn’t it figure that, as we sit down at 1865, I feel this gurgling in the gut. Too late to take any anti-emetics; I grin and bear it. When the entrees arrive, my swordfish is bathing in this heavy reduction sauce, sitting on a bed of garlic potatoes. I take about five bites, and that is it. Dana and I are in this booth, and Lia is on my left, and has me trapped in the booth. Lia looks at me, sees that I am whiter than paste, and moves her seat over an extra foot, as far as she can go, and I appreciate the room. I wore the Indiana Jones hat, and I am considering that, or will I make it to the rest room?

The feeling fades. I sit tight, and drink another 12 glasses of water. We all get in a heated discussion of the Marketplace Project, which will put another shopping mall on the outskirts of town. Dinner is finally over, and we all go to leave, and when I stand the nausea returns like a tsunami – you know the wave is coming, but you don’t know how big it will be. READER WARNING – GRAPHIC NAUSEA SCENE AHEAD. Standing in the lobby to say goodbye to Gerardo it is all I can do to hold it. As we walk to the car I find a discreet garden area and finally lose it there, fertilizing the plants with what looks like stomach lining mixed with Alka-Seltzer. Feeling much better, we go home. I am thankful that nobody had to witness that, and I am sorry that it was such a boring week I had to describe it here.

I figured it was the cyclophosphamide from the week before, the stuff that really kicks me, but Nurse Sue thinks it was the cytarabine finally building up in me to the nausea point. Next day I take the anti-nausea pill, then the cytarabine shot, and I do that every day and have no further problems. Next week it is back to l-asparaginase gut smackers and vincristine the numbness drug. The numbness in the feet and hands is getting really annoying, totally messes with doing tae kwon do.

Started contemplating the Jade fountain I always said I would build. All the materials are here, ready to go, but the final design will not present itself. It was supposed to be this beachy thing, but that has faded, and now an Oriental rock garden/mountain stream is coming in, complete with Bonsai. Always wanted some Bonsai. It seems like it will be really big, though. I am going to have to ponder this further.

April 15 came and went. That was the day I would’ve died if leukemia had gone undetected, assuming three months from starting to parting. I know back in early Feb when I first heard I had leukemia and heard it had a three month fatality, I thought Well, I am not doing taxes, 4/15 is my dying day, sorry Dana. I am not sure how to consider all the days after this – bonus days? It all seems morbid to consider, so I may have to drop the whole notion. I have noticed that a lot of journals of people that go through cancer include days since diagnosis. That would be dX+73 for me. The weird thing is I don’t feel particularly mortal, no more so than in the past. Well, maybe a little. I read the obits page closer, and am cheered when everyone that dies is over 70.

Another strange thing to contemplate is that I may already be 100% leukemia-free. The next year and a half of treatment could all be for naught. There is no way you’d forego it; one little leukemic bastard hiding out in my spine or cranium and we’re back to square one, and of course that is how and why they ended up developing all these treatments in the first place. It sure would be nice if they had some Star Trek scanner and just scanned me and said, OK, this guy’s clear. I remember the episode where the crew comes back to Earth in the present day, and they are in a hospital, and Dr. McCoy passes some lady moaning on a bed. He scans her, gives her a pill, and says ‘These people are barbarians!’ I wonder how long it will be before they look at these chemo treatments in that way.

There were a couple of other big happenings this week. I got my finger slammed in son John’s door in January, and the finger was broken. The nail was broken in a diagonal line across the mid-point, and I have had a bandaid on it since. The nurses have all told me not to let that nail fall off, as it would be a big site for infection, so I have been wearing a bandaid for 3 months. It got to the point where all that was left holding the nail on was a spot this big – O – near the tip of the nail. The new nail was growing in underneath and was 1/3rd of the way out. So, I trimmed it all down to the last little nub, which finally tore off a couple of days ago. This has reduced my typos by 1/4th. I know the chemo impacts nail growth quite a bit, and I wonder if the gnarled beginning growth for this nail shows that or the trauma from being slammed in a door.

The other big happening is I received a card from Bill and Hilary Clinton. I have long since forgiven Bill for being stupid enough to provide ammo to his detractors by being so damn human, and I think history will measure him as one of the true global leaders of our time, so I was pleased to get this card. It also says something to me that of all the people Dana asked to send a card, 1 in 4 did so – Larry Bird, Arnold Scharzenegger, Robin Williams, Angelina Jolie, The Clintons, Vanna White and Michael Jordan. It says, they either have great PR machines, or they are people people.

5 comments:

  1. John in the brief 3, 4 decades we have been acquainted, I never heard you bored before--see, always something new...
    Grateful for this, as well as for what endures to give continuity within change--for instance, at least you are not mortal yet, that's a relief.
    Looking forward to photos of your new Mr. Miagi garden in progress--
    We hauled seaweed today to use as mulch. That is my favorite part of gardening; I don't like the part where you have to actually be like Bert, diggin' dirt.
    So--Dubya didn't send a card? Mac probably told him not to bother learning how to write cursive on your account.
    love,
    mullaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha, You call that a barf story! Ask Missy about my wall-to-wall barf fest in the Cal Poly student union, circa 1974. Apparently drinking 4 beers in an hour then eating cold French fries smeared with catsup is the equivalent of cyclophosphamide and/or cytarabine. The janitor who had just finished mopping the floor was not impressed…..

    As for the fingernail, in 1968 I shut my thumb in the car door and my nail has never been the same so I am going to go with the trauma of the door slam. I was going to remark on your klutziness, but then I would have some explaining to do myself!

    Congratulations on passing the April 15 deadline. It is good to cheat death, but watch out for the tax man! (Sage advice from a bean counter) Keep fighting the fight! In two years we will party! (I am much wiser now, so I promise no barf competitions)
    XO -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ugly Nail Man (this could catch on like The Soup Nazi):
    What da heeeellll er y'all doin out there? Hot dam jade gardens, seaweed mulchin, swordfish eatin, Clinton cardin and dam garden barfin. Hell, no wonder y'all caint afford ta buy shit on the left coast. People make jewelry and shit outa jade - not garden crap. An Pat, I see people pay three or four bucks for a little seaweek salid down here at da big ole Super Target store and here you are a throwin da shit in yer garden.
    Hell John, now wonder you dint get no card frum Dubya. If he reeds all this crazy shit y'all are doin here I wunt be sprized if e sent out da sekret survice out der to find out whatdahells goin on.
    An why da hell wud anybodee have a restront named 1865? Probly bekuz dats whatdahell dey charg ya fer a dam glass a wine.
    And hey, bydaway, I lost over 40 bucks on yer goddamned golf tip. Yin Back; Yang Stop; Hakuna Down and Matata Through sucks the big one man. About 103 strokes later I wuz ready to kill some shit. One of the poor little cats is dried up like a two week old babyback rib from those losses. I'm not sure she's gonna recover, even with Ho-Spice on er food.
    Any way, I'll see what I can do to have Rick & Bubba put some pressure on Dubya to get a card out to you, if that's what floats yer boat.
    Stay away from eateries with names like 1865. Have you not heard the news that the Wendy's chili finger thing was a hoax? You can get a full meal there for less than four bucks and you don't have to worry about finding a hiding place to upchuck any of it. In fact, down here, gardin barfin is a sport second only to NASCAR.
    Hang in there and keep the faith. Many more April 15ths to come.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. john
    you couldn't do better with the puke graphics... come on we want to know more details ( at least pat does) awaiting my first golf date, will let you know if your wisdom helps.
    randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you look at this?! Randy thinks he can slip shit like this in and I won't notice it? Won't he be surprised when I reinact Caddyshack at his big game...
    years of listening to his comments (like I'd rather be dead than red in the head; use Visine, it gets the red out) weren't enough--now he is into ventriloquist love. Ran I am getting too old to beat you up or paint your face, so all I can say is watch out for gopher holes.
    But I digress; I meant to talk to Mac.
    Rick and Bubba got nothin' on you, bud.
    And with you and John both writing I will never lack for inspiration--I am telling my family that starting tonight we can eat dinner outside--it's already there, just avoid ropes, bones or mussel shells (these we will send down for your poor starving kitties to lick the salt off)...
    but I think you are slipping a little there when you forgot to add landscaping to that ho-spice bbq restaurant you've been designing. You could have arrows pointing to say, ready-made appetizers at your feet, holycow gardin barfin receptacles on the left.
    Maybe a nice fountain with a statue of Randy dressed up as Rodney Dangerfield be good, I don't know--I leave the creative aspects up to you. I've gotta get some giant bags and go shopping, I think the tide is going out.

    ReplyDelete