Friday, December 12, 2008

Before and after

The prompt this week for the Writing Through Cancer workshop http://www.writingthroughcancer.com/ is 'How has cancer changed you?' These prompts are just that, something to get you writing, and this is some of what I came up with:

Water erodes me, chiseling out pathways
to answer gravity.
Lichens take hold in any nook,
Pry their way into me,
Tiny footholds where the water
Freezes, expands, freezes, expands.
What was granite is now broken.
Trees take root in these spreading cracks,
Further weakening me.
With the relentless power of water
Larger pieces of me shear away,
And I have to accept
My future as dust.

And this:

On August 28, 1972, sometime in the early afternoon, I thought about death for a couple of seconds. I was flying through the air, on fire, covered in gasoline, having either leapt or been blown out of the boat we had been fueling. Once I hit the water my mind turned entirely to survival; the air pocket I created on entering the water meant I was still on fire and time was crawling. Naturally, I started twisting around like a drill to get rid of the air pocket. Having watched plenty of war movies, I was sure the surface of the water was on fire, so I swam like crazy until I came to a spot shallow enough. I launched out of the water, so the surface fire would burn my stomach and not my eyes. The water was not on fire. It wasn’t until later, when I was rewinding the tape in my head, that I realized I gave death a thought while airborne. More a question - am I about to die?

With second-degree burns, the nerve endings remain intact and on the surface and the skin has been burned around it. Infection is the biggest danger with burns; so the treatment is to scrub with Betadine, then apply Sulfamylon crème. This is mostly sulfur, which burns any infection, and has the side effect of making you think you are already burning in hell. The Demerol they prep you with just keeps you conscious. Since you are already in hell, any thoughts about death are seared from your mind. After 45 minutes the burning effect wears off, the Demerol takes over, and you’re loopy.

I don’t remember thinking about my imminent death again until February 7, 2005, when the doctor said ‘You have leukemia.’ And now I don’t remember not thinking about death a little bit each day since then. I lie in bed every morning, flopping back and forth, wrestling my thoughts about death and dying. I am not obsessed, but I like to reach over and smack the death thought around a little bit, try on different scenarios. Some days I think about all the stuff I will miss or haven’t done, but then I tell myself I am not dying yet. When I get up I have some tea and don’t think much about death, unless I am asking the docs about my odds.

And for fun, what we are faced with in the morning:






15 comments:

  1. errr D? Editor get your permission?
    LOL xoxo Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear flying gas man,

    I had forgotten about that human projectile story. So, was that the last boat trip you ever took, or just the last time you attempted to refuel one?

    TLW and I were sitting here this morning checking out your update and we both had to wonder how Miss Dana felt about that hair shot. But D, please keep in mind that I have not grown that much hair since John tried to turn himself into a Chris-Craft.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave my editorial opinion but he ignored it and tried to reassure me by telling me I looked "cute"... uh huh. Love those cute puffy morning eyes too. Of course he does take all those drugs every morning so...

    I tried to counter with the Papa Smurf shot but I think I got the worst of it. Oh well, maybe it'll make the blogsters feel better about what they all wake up to!
    Spudhead

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and by the way, this was the "good" shot. You should have seen the other two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about that boat/fire accident lately and all that you went trough at that time--how you're able to distance yourself and think about your next step, a game plan. What a great survival skill that is! Makes me think of 007.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana,

    I agree that you look cute.

    For years now, I have wondered just who the hell that guy is looking at me through the mirror every morning. Finally figured out that he's only there for about the first hour. So I just wait an hour until he goes away.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee,
    If it's any consolation, I wake up like that in the morning....except since going thru menopause, my chin looks like the top of your head.
    Just call me Santa...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hate to break tradition and agree with John, but I agree, too--I should because the picture is what I look like AFTER I wait the hour AND comb! (what can I say? my hairdresser is from Whoville...

    usually love to agree with Sue but hate to say it this time...I had been thinking back to then, too--mostly in a scary way based on having a son that age now but a less oblivious attitude than I was able to maintain back then--so THANK YOU for finding the educational and positive spin on it all!

    the real help would be knowing how Mrs. Fiore always seemed so calm. was it anything I could get at the pharmacy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Fiore was an eighth-grade English teacher, so she was ready for me.

    I had to amend that story to add the time I almost drowned in stupidity. I may post the update, haven't decided if it's any better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. john,
    Castenada, mentions something like death is always with us, waiting, over our right shoulder. I do have more of a sense of finite time now. When Vinny was born, it struck me that I would not live forever. I was startled. Though, i have thought and have told a few people that a person lives forever, if only in the hearts and minds of others and I guess in the dna of some. Living sure takes a lot of effort, but death is so final so unpredictable.

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. Fiore's calm came from years of practice. Take it from this Mrs. Fiore. Thank goodness our boys are not risk-takers like their father. I want to cover their ears sometimes when their dad starts recounting stories of his youth. Maybe all of it was leading up to this though. He was seasoned and ready for leukemia's sucker punch.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, D...now that you mention it, you're another one! he is lucky to have found two Mrs. Fiore's in one lifetime (or however many lifetimes it's been)
    funny
    how all us people he used to fight with (and probably still would be fighting with if not for geography) are still around and--crazy as it seems--glad he had all that practice fighting.
    something to be said for a common enemy I guess.
    it's a wonderful life

    ReplyDelete
  13. so what is up, amigos?

    did you make it home? or are you going? are the dancing girls wearing mistletoe?

    dld we really all make it past another solstice if not yet through another horror-day?

    does Mac have any festive southern traditions to tell us about as we go slipping on the sliding ice, sipping chicken soup with rice?

    ReplyDelete
  14. dear bloggers,

    by way of alan mitter

    The writer Andre Gide relates this experience of a trip he took into the Belgian Congo.

    My party had been pushing ahead at a fast pace for a number of days. And one morning when we were ready to set out, our native bearers, who carried the food and equipment, were found sitting about without any preparations made for starting the day.

    Upon being questioned, they said, quite simply, that they had been traveling so fast in these last days that they had gotten ahead of their souls and were going to stay quietly in camp for the day in order for their souls to catch up with them

    So they came to a complete stop.


    Sometimes
    I don't know where my soul is
    is it behind me
    or has it gotten ahead of me
    do I rest and wait for my soul to catch up
    will my soul rest and wait for me to catch up
    regardless will we arrive at the same place

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  15. from another editor

    the above quote loses something in the translation if you don't know it came on a christmas card.
    the message inside simply read:

    don't get ahead of yourself

    ReplyDelete