Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving

Las Enfermeras Guapas check my blood pressure.

Sometimes you make a fairly innocent statement that results in great works. Many months ago I labeled a picture of Dana and her friends, all of whom speak Spanish, Las Guapas or the Beauties. Since that time I have heard rumors of a 'special treat' they were going to give me. Friday night, I got it, when the bravest of Las Guapas became Las Infermeras Guapas, the Beautiful Nurses. I sat in a chair while the 'nurses' danced around me for four minutes. It was nearly overwhelming. This photo is after the dance. I haven't decided whether to release the video.

So much to be thankful for. I got to go home for the holiday and see my family. I got to sleep in my bed. Those are easy. I am also thankful for all the love and support I get from all my friends, family, and acquaintances while I slug my way through this disease. I am certainly thankful that I respond well to chemo and all the rest, and that my sister Lisa was a perfect bone marrow match. I am ever thankful that Dana married me and hasn't ditched me, and that we have two beautiful kids.

My brother and I are up at Palo Alto today, and the docs told me today I need some blood for the red cells. I thought I was a little anemic, and I am. So tomorrow I go in again at 7am and get two units of blood, five hours, bring snacks and drinks. Frank will be my caregiver until Saturday, giving Dana a break. I stopped losing weight and the rest of my numbers look good, so all in all we're rocking onward.


13 comments:

  1. john,

    Bless the beautiful nurses! Love it. What a gift.

    I once saw my grandfather tickle my sister's girlfriend on her leg with a blade of grass, as she hiked her skirt, striding up the rise, through the tall grass of summer with my grandfather in playful pursuit. It was a moment, rich
    .
    Thanks John. Thank you beautiful nurses.

    Mac, what do you figure?

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. where's the video?!!!!

    where's the close-up of those red shoes? omg, if I hadn't been disqualified from hanging around with "the boys" just for having a baby, my lust for red shoes would've done it some day...

    my "baby" just turned 17, five years older than we were when we met...seems like yesterday you made me go home from Roger's wedding and bring him back so you could meet him. it's a wonder I stay so young with everybody around me aging like they are...

    we are ALL grateful for Dana.
    and in the great circle of life, Dana is probably grateful for Frank. unless he paints your car.
    which I really don't think he will.

    I am grateful Earl has so many uncles. I might finally have a theme for my book. or a cooking show, not sure yet. right. why not both.

    so. 2 down, thanksgiving, birthday. now I get my grinch doll out and hibernate until the water warms up again...please keep the holy cow musical going

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy fish net stockings Batman!
    Click those red heels together and repeat “there’s no place like home”.
    Do you know how many guys are out there thinking “lucky bastard!”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh John,

    I am so thankful you and your wonderful sense of humor are still kicking....boy you still make me and everyone else laugh. That is the best medicine.
    And yes I agree (about the Dana statement)...she must be a saint to have stuck it out with you...funny guy!!
    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to remove the photo per the editor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there's an EDITOR?

    oh well...guess it is not looking good for the video then, huh?

    there's ho place like Nome

    where is Mac

    there's no race-like poem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posted a better picture so stop yer whining Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, thems are some nice Guapas – Whooooah ! ! !

    Mo, I certainly don’t “figure” like that.

    And John, what the hell – a blogoshpher editor. Tell him/her/it to come on down here to Bamaland fer a lil visit an we’ll show em/er/it a lil cat fishin n’ ho-spicin. I’m quite certain we can offer an entire new world of censorship possibilities.

    As so many of us follow this venture through your trials, we often think of Dana and how strong and supportive she is. Yes John, you are blessed with a truly inspirational and supportive partner there. DANA, YOU ROCK ! ! !

    How’s the leftover turkey thing going?

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey John, I guess all those MRIs, CAT scans and x-rays turned you into a chick magnet. It's a shame you wasted all that money on English Leather in the 70s. You just needed a radiologist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok john.... guapa rule #1... always let them view and ok the picture before posting!!! a couple of us look like we are possessed with scary devil red eyes. where is the shot of us blowing you a kiss? that one qualifies as a post-able foto.
    we came to your aide because we wanted to celebrate your life and keep those spirits high! we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is my final word on Guapas photos. I couldn't get stupid Photoshop to fix the red eye, but I wanted to get the post up so went with it, thinking the general idea is woohooo! Now I have pics from my brother's camera (one is posted now with no red eye), and I have video, and I figure once the clamor for more builds, I will begin the bidding war for the comprehensive Las Enfermeras Guapas DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy cow,
    Perhaps a few, well edited trailers, would stimulate interest, red eye or not.

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  13. EARL
    nobody more magnetic than you, baby--stay the hell away from my refrigerator!
    love
    chichi

    ReplyDelete