Monday, January 26, 2009

Cooking

We had an uneventful Stanford visit last Thursday, everything is pretty normal, magnesium and potassium are at normal levels, blood work is fine, slightly anemic. The cold is still lingering. Did I say it had legs like Paris Hilton? More like a centipede, legs and legs and more legs.

We got out of Stanford around lunchtime, so we went to get lunch in downtown Palo Alto at a restaurant Dana said was nice. I had meatball parmesan sandwich and it was good, but I only ate half, putting the other half in the cooler we had with us, for later. I ate that other half for dinner. Woke up at 3am with the trots, and started puking at 5:30. Apparently food poisoning! I had three great vomiting sessions, and my stomach is still unsettled four days later. I am down to 157 pounds, holy shnaynkie! Right now I am cooking dinners.

Dana left me a list of dinners I could make and I misunderstood that one was a side dish that she wanted me to add kielbasa to to make an entree, so I cooked the side dish and the pork roast, and now I have two dinners, one of which is also a side dish. Tomorrow all I have to do is add the kielbasa. This roast should come out good if the built-in thermometer pops out when it is supposed to.

I had lunch with Cyle from TEC today, and he has some pretty good office equipment he needs to liquidate, PCs, monitors, phone systems, and furniture. If you are interested let me know and I will hook you up.

I figured out what my graft versus host is when I didn't take immunosuppressant (Prograf) for a day due to vomiting. I woke up Saturday with very itchy legs and a mild rash, and I confirmed today with my local doc that the lack of suppression probably let the immune system cause the itch. I have that to look forward to, but then I always was an itchy dry-skinned type.

I began the transition back to the local doctors with a visit yesterday morning, and I will be alternating Stanford visits with local doctor visits, with the visits getting further apart, like the edge of the universe. For those who hadn't noticed, I changed the blog title some weeks ago to Holy Cow I beat leukemia; 'beat' where 'have' used to be.

8 comments:

  1. John,
    I have a patch that I bought at some roadside attraction, somewhere in Maryland on one of our rare family rad trips out of state. It was a NASA museum. Saw the rocket that carried the first chimp into "outer space." Did he feel the same thrill as the engineers that remained on the ground? Well, anyway, I sewed it onto my work jacket, over the company logo, and on occasions I am quick to point to it and state quite seriously, it ain't rocket science.


    Having studied biology in another former lifetime, I know the body is an eco system and as such seeks homeostasis and I had come to see my cancer as terrorist cells running amuck causing unrest and social disorder within the larger community, my body. At once, it is both fascinating and disturbing. This is rocket science, to me, the nuts and bolts of life, truly amazing.


    i like the way the wind whispers across the water
    spaces in the conversation
    before the thought is well defined
    wind that lifts the gulls in effortless flight
    blows through your hair
    rustles your skirt
    tugs at my senses
    and stirs memories as it rises to a roar
    high above the surface
    across the bridge


    mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess all us rocket scientist types out here are not the most observant bunch,
    but I like the new title very much.
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great check up John. All good news. Well, with the exception of that meatball sub.

    I may have an interest in a good laptop if Cyle has one. It looks like I’ll be headed to Japan for a few months on a consulting gig and I think TLW will sabotage my luggage if I attempt to take the home laptop with me. Send me a side note if you think there’s something there of interest for me.

    Good change on the blog name. I’m curious to see if it generates lots of questions and interest from others who want to know what your secret powers are.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kindra. The "beat" needs to have a little more emphasis. Are you not allowed to say "Holy Cow I Kicked Leukemia's Ass?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John, Hang in there with the "bug". Matt and I have had it and I have it again this time HUGE! Bacterial Bronchitis with Chronic Asthma. Coughing my brains out to try to get all the crud out of my lungs!! We folks with the compromised or immune systems seem to get hammered with these flu like bugs. Lots of fluids and rest rest rest. Good luck with all your cooking adventures. You are doing real good! It truly is amazing. All the best, Marian and Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just noticed the Robbin's comments from before, and Kindra's too. Even saying 'beat' scares me, I may be sticking my neck out too far, maybe I should lay low.

    I think this cold is just a long one as Dana has it same as me. Almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Cow I have missed all of you! I now spend M-F in SLO with the parental units and they have dial-up - It is a real pain in the you know what. I am loving my new life - just got a P/T job and life is flowing over me in a good way. John, perhaps we can share some recipes. I have to widen my cooking skills also. I gave up alot of my culinary skills when Jack learned how to successfully burn meat out on the patio! Hope you are feeling better. Just try to think of it as "brown bottle flu", you know the kind you used to get on weekends back in college days....Or perhaps not, I am not feeling well just thinking about the after effects of some of my excesses...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, was wondering where you'd been...I know it's John's blog (sort of), but think I'm missing pieces of the side stories here.

    I can't even process the information with the word Japan in it, but Lisa a trip to the library is still a step above dial-up (don't I know--I had virtual offices in 10 locations before FiOS came into my valley!!!

    ReplyDelete