Wednesday, February 04, 2009

88

We had a laptop that John spilled water on about 4 years ago, frying the motherboard. I only told him 100 times not to have liquids at the laptop area. I realize that was totally insufficient; I told the boys to brush their teeth well over 5000 times before that sunk in. Anyway, I finally retrieved the documents that were on that laptop hard drive (thanks Teshinsky), and some of the photos bring back memories of happier and healthier times. This is Mike and I at a luau on Kauai, getting sauced. November 2000.
Not much happening around here. My health is OK, the cold lingers a little, my weight is 160. I am botching up some aspect of cooking each day, and life is grand. Onions have me crying daily. I tried the plate of warm water trick, and it helped a little. I made turkey with cranberry cous-cous Tuesday night, and it wasn't my favorite meal. The curry made it too spicy for my tastes.

Last night I made some sort of soup that was more like cauliflower and broccoli with pasta and broth. It was pretty good. I'll be having it for lunch when I run out of the bean soup that has served as lunch for the week so far. We need a reprieve from new meals until we clear out the leftovers.

Played 18 holes at Dairy Creek Tuesday, first 18 since 6/28/08. The scorecard is still on my cart from that day. I shot an 86 from the blues that day, and yesterday I shot 88 from the whites. On the comeback trail. I have been practicing at least every other day, and I am swinging better. I was short on most of my approach shots, so I need to add a club next time to compensate for weakness.

My Stanford doc, in response to my question, says I can go back to work part-time 6 months after transplant, around the end of March. A no-travel desk job to avoid the ill flyers. In this economy, I don't see much happening job-wise that I don't create myself. I have to do more yoga with the Wii so I can kick myself in the ass. It's cold in the garage where the Wii lives, and I'm a temperature wussy.

8 comments:

  1. light a candle on the table next to your cutting board while you cut the onions. it works!!! also, try using a really sharp knife. i understand that it is actually the reaction from the onion part and the little membrane part in between the layers that makes us cry...so a really sharp knife is supposed to help! smb in wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    Keep up the cooking. Soon you will be a pro and maybe that can be your new careere move!
    Eat as much as you want. Sounds like you could still use some weight.
    Yes this cold crud lingers for quite some time. I am on week 7. Keeping at least the kleenex people in business!
    We are happy you are doing good. Happy golfing. Always, Marian and Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    The laptop story reminds me of a time, long ago, when I was drinking a cup of coffee one early morning in a hotel room and the laptop went all Pike’s Place on me – really pissed off our IT geek.

    Geez, 86 and 88 on the golf course. I haven’t seen that for some time. Yer makin me feel like a real wuss.

    TLW and I are in Cape Coral, Florida this week, sailing and boating with friends and having a generally wonderful time before I have to head off for Japan. It’s been very cold for the first few days but warming up now. I think we’ll stay a day or three more to take advantage of the better weather.

    You’re really doing well John. Hang in there and give em hell buddy.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. John
    i haven't played a full 18 yet due to sun exposure and desire. I also had to club up due distance lost but it actually helped me swing easier so don't feel alone in this issue. My scores are similar as i learn that accuracy is more important than distance-duh:)
    Glad you are getting better-keep eatin' brother

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally bought a good knife sharpener (according to reviews) so I hope that works, the candle trick as well.

    The sun exposure is a problem in golf; I was roasting at the driving range last week when we had that great weather, and I was in long sleeves to avoid the sun. Kept me moose, though. Rich, let me know when you feel up to a round somewhere, we'll go flail away.

    Mac and Chrissie, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnny boy,
    Really glad to hear you're doing well and hittin' the links again. I'm playing the worst golf of my life, lately, so let me know if you want to kick my ass sometime.

    BTW, the new 12-hole challenge course at MD is a blast. Great walking course if you only have a few hours to play, and the greens have knee-high undulating waves to navigate.

    JK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cooking Live with John Fiore. That should be the name of your new show.

    Always go a club longer rather than having to muscle up on the shorter club.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JK, give me a call, MD would be great!

    ReplyDelete