Friday, February 13, 2009

Brr rainy days

Our rain season has finally arrived after taking a few years off. Much needed.

The dang mucositis seems to have reappeared after a hiatus. It is only manifesting with a tender tongue and inner cheeks, but I am not liking toast and other sharp-edged foods, and I am back on the meds that battle this. As the immuno-suppressant has been turned down, I am also cursed with very itchy calves, a minor gvh reaction. If that's all there is, let's just keep dancing.

Where was 'ziti' when I needed it? In one of the holes blasted in my brain by radiation. We got together with the neighbors last night for pizza and scrabble, and just when I needed 'ziti' to close out the game, my brain came up with 'zoot' as in zoot suit. Unfortunately zoot is not in the scrabble dictionary, and so I went from first to last. Dang. It's been a tough week. Janice told me I should add to the list of books, which is a list of 1 book right now, so I will do that, I've been meaning to do that. I am thinking how best to format that list; does it have a rating system, or review, or nothing but title and author?

I went golfing on Wednesday, and it was as though I crawled out of the hospital bed to play. Pathetic, weak, and unbalanced. I blamed the six layers of clothes I was wearing, and the cold windy weather, but deep down I came up with a different reason - I suck at golf. Oh well, there are worse things, as my mom would say.

It is Saturday now, another overcast day, just waiting for the rain. We are sitting around watching La Vie En Rose but I am bored with it (subtitles), so I'll finish this and post it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, do add to the book list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    Sorry to hear about the lurking mucositis. I hope it passes soon.

    It's good to hear y’all are finally getting some much-needed rain out there.

    Your golf comment was interesting. It must have been something in the air (or rain) last week. I played the worse game possible on Saturday. My score was exactly the same as that of a game I was forced to play about three years ago, to qualify for a tournament, when my back was in one world and the rest of my body another. It was very disheartening - so much so that I’m thinking of downgrading my membership status at the club, which would cover only 12 games of golf a year. I think 12 dysfunctional disasters a year would be adequate enough to keep me keenly aware that I continue to suck at the game.

    And I think it was too liberal an interpretation to disallow zoot in the scrabble game. You should have been offered a special dispensation there.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. wasn't there some poemry by Yeats about the effects of being fascinated by what's difficult?

    and oh my gourd! I knew you would get through leukemia but this scrabble thing really has me alarmed!!!!

    keep up the cooking and maybe more macaroni words will come. like my old pal Judy (a kitchen alchemist and master gardner) used to say:
    If I don't see you in the pasta, I'll see you in the fuscia!

    ReplyDelete