Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Flame on

There were a lot of comments on the last blog, and some clearly pointed out my lack of singing or acting talent. Let me remind you, I was 'Life' in that eighth-grade play, and the guardian of the gates in 'Oz'. And, I have pulled the wool over the eyes of management in every job I have held and school I attended. No comment on singing. Re: those comments, is Steve Steve McElroy from high school? Must be, he knows I was the muscle behind the drama.

Actually it was mostly lights I did, while Steve was one of the finest actors I have known. I can still picture him stealing the show in everything he was in from tenth grade on, and in the big senior year play reciting his final line, 'Remember me in lights', dressed like a scalawag, bringing down the house. I'll be damned if I can remember which show it was. That info must reside in one of my brain-holes. One of the cool things about McElroy getting up on stage is how it brought the whole badass tough guy element into the theater. Steve, what's going on?

This shitstorm of an economy is kicking us all. Usually I try to feel bad for just myself, but today I am going to think of Anonymous Bill in RI, who may have to choose between dogs and digs soon, the 1st BMT patient foreclosed out in RI. See
http://www.projo.com/news/bobkerr/kerr_column_11_03-11-09_1UDJG10_v12.3864216.html. Bill, I am golfing today, and I am dedicating that sickening feeling I get from my first duffed wedge shot to your pain. Hang in there and repeat after me, 'This too shall pass.' I have some second or third cousins named McNiff, Tommy and John, but I think one of them died tragically young. Are we related? Silly question, everyone from RI is related.

There ought to be an easier way to fill these holes in my brain, like brain bondo. The learning of new things to increase brain plasticity is not going that great. I've been doing some cooking lately, and have taken most of the opportunity afforded to screw things up. For years I have given my wonderful sisters-in-law grief when they burn the garlic bread, to the point where they don't do it anymore. The other day, I was broiling the bread, and when the spaghetti was done and the phone rang in mid-broiling I lost focus until Mike pointed out that the bread was on fire!

Now I never saw that in the feasts of the past, not actual flames. I threw the bread into the sink and hosed it down to put it out, which was too bad because most of it was salvageable. Oh well, fuel for the boys to torment me with. Once, I grabbed a bottle of salsa instead of tomato sauce, and I never hear the end of the resulting inedible spaghetti dinner.

My doctor visits are dwindling down. Tomorrow we go to Stanford for the first time in weeks. The local doc has checked me a couple of times, and I am fine, which is what they will say tomorrow. I suffer from always being cold, because my metabolism is whacked out, and I am weak but getting stronger, and I suck at golf which I always did, and my brain has holes and is slower. I remember the radiation doc telling me back in July of '05 that after cranial irradiation I would get dumber but I wouldn't notice. I've noticed.

Mo noted in one of his comments that his grandfather said he lived on memories. I am trying to fill up my memory banks so I can keep-a-goin, and luckily I get to use home movies et al to help me.

15 comments:

  1. Believe it or not I am related to john and tommy mcniff. Tommy died of lymphoma in 1980. The apartment situation seems to have stabilized I can keep the dogs I just have to move and endure all the nonsense that goes along with it. One of the reasons I did the article was to make people aware that some people should be protected from this foreclosure frenzy Cancer patients in particular.If this happened in the summer when my kidneys went south I would be in deep sh*t. Thanks for the kind words and putting my story on your blog. Bill Mcniff

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHO RANG THAT BELL!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, what a small world, we are related. This makes me wonder if there isn't something genetic in the predisposition to get ALL, although my docs told me there isn't and that is the prevailing wisdom. BTW, how did you end up reading this blog? As Pat asked, who rang this bell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading the blog almost since the begining. I have made an occasional comment also.
    Three related people develop blood cancers. There must be a genetic link somewhere. Bill Mcniff

    ReplyDelete
  5. didn't you read the sign? bell out of order, please knock.

    John I was just remembering your gatekeeper role, but now that I think of it, are you guys related to my old buddy Pauly McNiff from Beverly? maybe not, that it outside of RI...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please Fill me in on the ringing of the bell, please knock? Did I do something inapprpriate? Bill Mcniff

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the Wizard of Oz, the guardian of the gates flips the sign around after Dorothy rings the bell, 'Bell out of order, please knock,' so Pat is making reference to that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, poor Bill! It's ok Bill I have been married to him over twenty years and I only get about half of the references from Pat. Someone should explain that John played the role of the gatekeeper in the Wizard of Oz way back when. I'm not sure there is such a thing as inappropriate at the blog bar...'cept maybe that music!

    Hummm...my word is menlate

    Spudhead

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Bill and Dana--
    I thought I was doing a lot better since Chrissy worked with me a while back when I used that strange reference about the singing fish...

    Bill if you read the comments you will see I admitted to Mac a little while ago that I might do better with an interpreter!

    I need this skill in real life as much as for the blog bar; especially working with people a lot younger than myself and totally different frames of reference. I can't even give you an example without doing it again--but I recently posted what I thought was a nice tribute on one of those online obituary guestbooks for my brother-in-law and got a lot of questions from family members unfamiliar with Roger Rabbit who didn't get a line about nobody but a toon dropping a piano on a man's head.

    ps. to Dana--John probably doesn't get more of what I say than you do--even if we were in the some of the same times and places way back in the very olden days, it doesn't mean we remember the same things from them. I usually stick to insignificant details--for instance I remember that 2 minute scene at t the gate to Oz but can't recall the show of Mackelroy's grand finale that John was asking about...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Crap,

    All this kin folk talkin is makin me think y’all might could be from Alabama. An here I been a thinkin nuthin lak dat ever haaapened outsideada souf.

    John Da Man,

    Don’t be too crazy about the brain holes. I’m learning there’s a direct correlation between those and the aging process.

    I wish you the best of luck with your doc visit in Stanford and do please give us a report on that. And be careful walkin by the duck scum pond.

    I’m in beautiful Osaka, Japan this week. It’s a fabulous city of about six million people. I’ll be taking a tour of Kyoto tomorrow (Saturday), then off via bullet train to Fokouka on the western island for a few days before returning to Tokyo. I get to go to Sweet Home Alabama on the 18th for a while and I’m very anxious to spend some time with Chrissie and the kitties. And speaking of spouses, give Miss D a big birthday hug from me.

    Keep a goin John.

    Mac (between the sheets in Osaka)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quick update - Stanford Dr. visit went fine, I won't see him again for two months, he cut back my immunosuppressant to 1 mg Prograf a day, and I was in and out of there in under an hour. Stopped at a driving range for an hour on the way home, and was in SLO by 3pm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wasn't it "Finian's Rainbow", and Steve played the leprechaun? I vaguely remember cause Leslie and I were in the chorus as sophomores (though we can't sing either). Following in the big sibs' footsteps.

    "Follow the fellow who follows a dream..."

    ReplyDelete
  13. KEEP A GOIN JOHN1 !!!
    mAC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa is right, it was Finian's Rainbow. Beauch remembered too, Steve played Og as Lisa says, the leprechaun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. john,
    This is no longer the Wizard of OZ. It is a whole new story line. Your character has overcome death defying odds, beat back the demons and endured countless days until subsequent treatments would begin and assessments and adjustments made. You are no longer in Kansas.
    Sounds like your recovery goes well, at its own pace, as you actively participate in the recovery.
    Your character is impatient pushes himself hard. You certainly are no slacker.
    Like it or not, you seem to be the man for the part. It's yours, live. Break a leg.
    Regarding the "holes" maybe the continuity that we believe as undeniable is on par with the spaces in the atoms that make up a "solid" wall.
    I don't know. I have come to realize how little I know about so much. The play must go on.
    The mystery is what floats to the surface and what sinks. Timing is everything?
    This comment has taken two tries and is not like the first of which i have little if any recall. Missed a step in attempting to post. Was surprised when I checked in to not see it. Will try to follow through. Must be one of those holes. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete