Tuesday, November 02, 2010

John is Home

Dear Friends and Family,

We brought John home today.  He is resting comfortably behind me as I write this.  We have a hospital bed downstairs in our family room so that he can be as much a part of things as he is able to. We had a little bit of a rough start this morning transporting him, and maneuvering the wheel chair and the other equipment we're learning to use.  There were lots of people here trying to help, and he seemed to get very frustrated at the confusion and at not being able to express his needs.  But later, he and I enjoyed some quiet time alone together out on our back patio.  He sat in the wheelchair and I sat across from him, holding his hands.  It was an unseasonably warm fall afternoon.  The late afternoon, golden light played on the hill behind our house and made the leaves, already beautiful in shades of red and yellow, seem to glow.  Woody was at his feet, the birds were singing, a warm, gentle breeze was blowing, and there was no need to say much at all. 

My dear sister, Stacy, was here helping all day, and running out to get all the things we needed that I hadn't thought of.  We have a professional caregiver here helping too.  She will stay with me at least until our son, John, gets back here.  Dr. M recommended we have two people here at all times.  My sisters will be providing respite for us, and Hospice met with us today to get their wonderful support started as well. 

John has been taken off of curative care.  No more chemo.  The doctors say it would only make him sicker now.  He will be receiving care from the trained staff at Hospice to make him as comfortable as possible here at home.  He is still having great difficulty talking and with motor function. He cannot stand or even move his legs without assistance. He is eating and drinking very little, and sleeping quite a lot.



I had some good friends stop by today to help out too.  Thank you, Bruce, for helping get John into the wheelchair while I was napping, and for taking Woody out for a spin.   Manitooboo Lisa, who is in town caring for her aging mother brought me a delicious dinner, and she and Gloria perked John up quite a bit.  He was joking with them, and he seemed to enjoy his own jokes, even if we didn't always quite get them.

John's brother, Frank, and his wife are here, as are his donor sister, Lisa, and her husband.  They enjoyed some down time today and explored a bit of our beautiful central coast with a visit to Hearst Castle.  The Fiore family has had too much sorrow this fall, with the loss of their mother just last month, so I'm glad they were able to get away for a bit.

I thought I was mentally prepared for this, but it is clear I'm not.  After five years of Superman, I think this caught us both by surprise.  Thank you all for your warm wishes and kind words.  I will pass them on to John. 

With love,
Dana

20 comments:

  1. Hi Dana, Please give John a big hug and tell him I love him. Earl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,

    A big hug to both you and John.

    You must be feeling overwhelmed and I’m sorry you have to go through this D. I hope you’ll find that we’re here on the blog to support you during what’s likely to be a trying time.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, my heart aches for you all. We can only be strong for so long....know I'm here if you need to chat/lean on....my ears and heart are open to you. You are a wonderful person and I know how difficult this time is. I'm glad you have family and friends to surround John and yourself. It is so needed at this time. Please know you, John and the boys are in my thoughts and prayers always....(((HUGS)))Terri Messina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo—whoa—head up--once again nudged awake by an elbow from Earl—

    grateful to know you made it home, Dana, and in such good company; but I was lulled into a peaceful silence by your beautiful description of the moment outside where there was ‘no need to say much at all’…may every marriage reach this oasis (!)

    miracles abound, even if they are not the mad science ones we often all petition for…felt like you’d brought us full circle from John’s original request that we all keep talking. guess it was about 5 years ago we childhood friends got the first email memo full of information and instructions—do this, don’t do that, I’m in trouble here but I’m John so I’m still in charge of how we play the game. I don’t need flowers, candy or balloons, lawyers, guns or money. I need to hear from everybody I ever knew and then start gathering in everybody I haven’t met yet. And as always, we followed like robin hood’s merry men, irreverent but faithful.

    For me, out here on the periphery, the journey was pretty consistent with every occasional reunion with John over the years—I learned a lot whether I intended to or not. Around the time his fight was just starting, I was already in a rock-kicking fit of temper at how much and how many the damned cants had already grinched from me. But somewhere along the line—and it was a long and twisty line—I think he, and you, showed us all how much even that grinch cannot get his little green hands on.

    And I bet if every person who was helped by his (and your) great writing—many that you’ve probably never even met or heard of—were to click on comment, even if just to sign with an X, the internet would start to light up like whoville at Christmas.

    Is it last call at the blog bar?

    (you don’t have to shut up but you can’t talk here!)

    no, I’m the queen of denial, I can’t believe that. still, it might not be a bad time to offer a toast

    one sleepy badass who gave us all so many adventures and new friends, pleasant dreams

    peace out, love the jade

    pat



    pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana and John....

    Terri gave me a heads-up that she had read the latest blog....so i came to catch-up.

    I only had the pleasure of meeting you Dana one time in person...and I feel like I know John thru this writing....John you touch me with your adventures, strength, drive, stubborness,etc etc...(I could go on and on)...

    and I knew I definitely had to write and tell you the positive impact you've had on me --and I'm sure other people. I know when I think I think of you -- I tend to look at obstacles/situations a lot differently...and it makes me stronger! ...and for that I thank you...Pat was so right - when he said

    "And I bet if every person who was helped by his (and your) great writing—many that you’ve probably never even met or heard of—were to click on comment, even if just to sign with an X, the internet would start to light up like whoville at Christmas."

    I can picture the lights already!!!! All my luv and support to you all!!! jeri brewster

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...love what you wrote Jeri. It is true. Dana, you and John have helped so many through the years. May the peace and love you've sent to all return to you in abundance!

    (((HUGS))Terri Messina

    ReplyDelete
  7. love my family
    read a good book
    camp in a National Park
    golf (at least once)
    catch a wave
    volunteer
    run and walk for a cause
    make an inspiring speech
    all because those are things that John has done and he inspires me

    ReplyDelete
  8. a younger man once i thought
    i would like to be able to speak the unspeakable
    you have done that
    with passion, wit, and clarity
    thanks

    peace out

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dana,
    I was very happy to play golf with John while he was in RI. John and I played CYO basketball together over forty years ago. He is a warrior always has been.

    Bob Letourneau

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dana, Santa Paul from Warwick.you and John are both in my thoughts and prayers.Class of 1973 was full of beautiful, special people and John is at the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey John,
    Keeping your health in my thoughts bud! You've always been a great guy with an amazing heart and I'm glad I know you. I wish I could just drop by and catch up and wish you the best in person.

    MG (still in Roseville)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a poet, just another reader, but I came across this and thought of you. And your friends.

    The peace of wild things by Wendell Berry

    When despair grows in me
    and I wake in the middle of the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting for their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dear friend John,

    I am so sorry you’re going through this. I have enjoyed our friendship. I am immensely impressed with your fight against this huge kick in the ass life has handed to you.

    You are, and will be, the poster child for how to deal with a bad hand of cards. Your ability to muster the strength and courage to fight at a level beyond my comprehension, coupled with maintaining a sense of humor and satisfying your adventurous side, has simply blown me away.

    You fought the fight man. Keep a goin and hit em straight. I hope your next adventure will surpass your most positive hopes and dreams.

    Your friend for eternity,
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah, MAC--
    I sure hope there is a virtual eternity as well as the real one, because I feel like Dorothy must've when she had to leave the scarecrow in Emerald City to go back home
    ~~~"I think I'm gonna miss YOU most of all"~~~
    we all will--pat, chi chi, bambi and any other alter-egos I forgot.
    of course,
    you do have our emails and address, so there is that.
    but who's thinking too straight right now or ever was?
    your cohort in what's been one loony tune chorus,
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Pat.

    Please send me an off blog email. I need to be sure I have my contact list up to date.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  16. bama-boy
    I just sent to a few of my collected email addresses for you--no clue which one works, we haven't done one of those fast-talking exchanges over who gets to post what genius line in a while...
    so far two have bounced back; in case none of them work, it is
    write2pat@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every Blade...

    Every blade in the field,
    Every leaf in the forest,
    Lays down its life in its season
    As beautifully as
    It was taken up.

    -Henry David Thoreau

    ReplyDelete
  18. manitouboo,

    riding home after a day in the cool fall
    by the shore of the bay and the low lying marsh
    i drive as the setting sun dances on tree tops
    upon a stage of pale blue and rose
    brilliant as it is now gone
    seeking comfort and rest

    nice choice of poems
    mo

    ReplyDelete