Sunday, November 07, 2010

What is Real

John used to joke about throwing himself a wake while he was still here so that he could enjoy the party and all the stories and nice things people would say about him. In a way, the past few days have been a little like that idea. Though he has had mostly frustrating and difficult days and nights, there have also been some moments that were beautiful and happy. Family and friends have been stopping by, telling stories, bringing favorite foods, and just being present, making John the center of attention, which, as you all know, he loves.



Here are some highlights:


Having brother Frank, and donor sister, Lisa, and their spouses here, loving their brother, John.


A visit from friends with a brand new baby. John held Sierra in his lap and they smiled dreamily at each other.


Several trips in the wheelchair, over to the park behind our house with the guys, to throw the ball for Woody on delightfully warm fall days.


Sharing Danish pancakes with family and friends gathered round our dining table.


Reconnecting with old friends. The beautiful side of crisis is the way that it brings people together.


Watching home movies of happier times. Little boys, doing little boy things. Where did the time go?


A sing-a-long with Chris O'Connell, who indulged us with old favorites and had John clapping and smiling, and all of us laughing and crying.


And cuddled up, watching the rain, quiet and peaceful, and lovely, even if tears were flowing.


It's still very difficult to understand John, increasingly so. In fact, he has resorted to a thumbs up or thumbs down to answer yes or no questions, and to pointing to indicate he wants something, or wants to be moved. Even though he is suffering what most of us would consider worse humiliation in his weakened condition, I think the inability to communicate may be what is hardest for him.


He is able to stand briefly, with help, so that we can get him from the bed to the wheelchair, etc. but has lost much of his fine and large motor coordination.  He is most alert in the late morning but tires easily.  He seems to enjoy having friends stop by for short visits, and in spite of all the challenges he is facing physically, is able to let his spirit shine through. 

I have so many people to thank for thoughts and prayers, and special thanks to so many who have taken time out of their busy lives to make sure we are OK. To Mike and Jack for making John laugh, to Jen, Lisa, Jan, and Missy for wonderful dinners and treats, neighbors Bruce and Pat, Craig and Janice, Leslie, Patrick and Sue, also for dinners and treats, and making sure Woody gets his walks, to Ellen for providing a much needed break for me on Saturday morning, to Leti, (I suspect it's you that has been leaving flowers on my doorstep), to Daria and Gloria for shoulders to cry on, to my dear sisters Lia and Stacy, don't know what I'd do without them, to my son, John, who has put his life on hold and is here for both his dad and me, and to my teaching partner, Kim, and substitute, Penny, for holding down the fort while I am gone. I'm sure I have forgotten to mention some of you. Forgive me. I am feeling a little muddled myself and kind of running on empty, but know that your kindness is appreciated.


To all of you who have posted or emailed your kind thoughts about John and me, thank you. I read them to him daily. To Pat, and Mac and other faithfuls at the blogbar, thanks for following the yellowbrickroad. To manitooboo, Mo, and to whoever it was that posted that beautiful poem by Wendell Berry, thank you. Such peaceful imagery.


Here is a passage from one of my favorite stories, The Velveteen Rabbit. It just seems to fit.




"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side...


"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."


"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.


"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."


"Does it happen all at once," he asked, "or bit by bit?"


"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."




I know you all understand.  Love, Dana

17 comments:

  1. We think of you all daily, know you are all loved. May you find strength and small joys each day. The skin horse is a wise soul. love, Grace, Drew, Jack and Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. dana you are one amazing girl.... i love the velveteen rabbit! such a creative way to show the importance of loving john because thats the best gift there is. you are that gift dana and i am honored to know and love you! daria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping all of you in my heart as you walk this journey. You're strong, and you're loved. Blessings.
    Linda Seeley

    ReplyDelete
  4. The two of you amaze me....John, your strength and ability and willingness to smile "that" smile, even now...and Dana your strength and grace has ALWAYS amazed me, even all the way back to those "New Jersey" days......Our love and prayers are with you both, even though we cannot be with your ourselves....Much Love, Lisa and Paul Mahoney

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, Dana,
    Our hearts, thoughts, prayers are with you. Myself and John's high school friends were blessed to have John with us just a few weeks ago. We laughed and loved John together and John, we could feel your love for us. There was a richness, a deep sense of meaning in being together.

    I enjoyed recalling when John, Donald and myself drank "lowenbraus" under the star lit skies of Vermont at the age of 16 and we could still laugh at the mischief of those years. John, I wish I could be out there with you now.

    All my love, Randy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana ~
    The gift of being loved is the greatest! Relish in the quiet moments together. John is blessed to have you by his side.
    I continue to be amazed by your grace.
    Sending love, support and smiles
    JennJenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear John and Dana,
    Another beautiful sunny and warm Fall day!! Thinking of you and sending you love and hugs. I was thinking about what is THE goal in life that we humans strive for, and I believe it is to be loved. John, you have accomplished that goal. You are loved and cherished. Rest in that love and know that a greater love holds you and yours.
    So, it is really ok to just stop by?
    I love you!
    Pati

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always in my thoughts, as I wake and before I sleep. Wish I could be there. The Velveteen Rabbit is such a lovely catalyst. Holding you all in the light.
    Much love and hugs,
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, Dana and family - what a journey you have taken. I'm sorry for the pain, but thankful for the moments that you have shared as you've traveled this path. You are in my thoughts,
    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I make a cup of coffee and put some agave nectar in and think, what is this shit anyway? So I look it up. Agave americana, commonly known as the century plant. Gray green leaves about 6'long and a heavy spike at the tip that can pierce to the bone. It's common name derives from it's habit of only occasionally flowering. But when it does, the spike with a cyme of big yellow flowers can reach up to 26 ft in height. Although it's said the plant dies aftering flowering it produces suckers or adventitious shoots from it's base, which reach out and continue to grow. So for some reason I start thinking of John. Maybe it's the spike maybe it's the flower. You and Dana have shown us the power of reaching out. For this we will always be grateful. Love, Earl

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry and will pray for you. I am with you John and will continue to believe you will win this battle. As my daughter often says "cancer sucks!"
    Love you brother-stay with us

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John,
    I have been keeping tabs on you thru Bill Myers. So sad I didn't get to see you at Bills house. My fault for listening to Bill on when to get over there. No excuse I blew it. Been a long time since we ran around Barstow, and Gilloly Drive.
    Sorry to hear of you Moms passing, she was one great lady. Stay the course, Love Steve Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh by the way hailers is my daughters Haley's account. I'm still a dinosaur, no social networking just email.
    williexx1@cox.net

    Still driving on xx1
    Go Pats!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking warmly of you all and sending prayers and (((HUGS))

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  15. yesterday
    the wind drives the rain
    remnants
    of the night's
    first snow
    remain
    along the sea wall
    the tide is high
    the sea is choppy
    leaves
    skid along the road
    cartwheel down the side walk

    today
    i am a grandpa

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  16. In Jim Harrison's poem, "Larson's HOlstein Bull," he ends with "death steals everything but our stories..." John's poems and stories, his blog and the way he shared this journey with so many of us will endure as a source of inspiration for me and others... Sending you both my love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. John, Dana & Mickey B, I love you guys, Earl

    ReplyDelete