Monday, November 22, 2010

Honey, Cinnamon, and Mustard


John Christopher Fiore, 55, of San Luis Obispo, passed away at home with family on Sunday, November 14th, 2010. John was born in Providence, Rhode Island, but lived most of his life on the central coast of California after having earned an MBA from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo. John worked in the local software industry but his life took an unexpected turn when he was diagnosed with leukemia in early 2005.


A gifted writer, John chose to turn what would have been a devastating experience for most of us into a positive force in his life and the lives of others when he decided to chronicle his cancer journey publicly in the form of this blog, “Holy Cow, I Have Leukemia!” His tremendous will and irreverent sense of humor, in the face of the unrelenting progress of his disease, informed, entertained, and inspired all who read his story.


Just months after bone marrow transplant in 2008, John finished the Santa Barbara half-marathon with the Central Coast Team in Training to raise funds for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. He was a “cancer warrior” who was proudly victorious in battle after battle, and only surrendered when he decided the disease had taken too much of him.


John was known for his generous heart and quick wit. He was a friend and mentor to many who knew him and worked with him. An enthusiastic wordsmith, he solved the Daily Jumble in seconds, beat most of us handily at Scrabble, and loved a good verbal spar. He was a poet and raconteur who left us a legacy of his writing and poetry. John loved games, be it a good game of backgammon, or cribbage with his friend, Michael, family games at holidays, or a hand of poker with friends or strangers. A natural athlete, he coached baseball and basketball for his boys. He enjoyed surfing and golfing, and he pitched a mean softball. John found comfort and spirituality in the majesty of nature and spent many happy days traveling, camping, hiking, and backpacking. He loved his family and raised two exceptional sons, of whom he was extremely proud.


John was preceded in death by his parents, Frank and Grace Fiore, of Rhode Island. He is survived by his wife, Dana, and his sons, John and Michael Fiore, all of San Luis Obispo; his brother, Frank Fiore and wife, Cheryl, of New Mexico; his sisters, Joanna Chapin and husband, Ted, of New York; Leslie Coletta and husband, Robert, of Rhode Island; his donor sister, Lisa Fiore Nunez and husband, Manuel, of North Carolina; and an extended “karass” that loved him for the unique man that he was.


A reception and memorial service will be held in his honor on Sunday, December 5th, beginning at 2pm at Rose’s Landing on the Embarcadero in Morro Bay. In lieu of flowers, please donate to:


The John C. Fiore Memorial Scholarship Fund
at SLOHS
1499 San Luis Drive
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401


In his own words, John was "honey and cinnamon and mustard" and "the flash of lightning you didn’t see, except when the room lit up.” We will miss your light in the room, John, but will hold it, always, in our hearts.

Here is a link to some photos we are collecting.  Hope it will bring mostly smiles. 
http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/dfiore6/John%20Memorial%20Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow

You can also sign John's guestbook and post photos at: http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/sanluisobispo/guestbook.aspx?n=john-fiore&pid=146785997&cid=view

7 comments:

  1. Good bye, my friend.

    You have demonstrated a degree of courage and resolve that is beyond my comprehension.

    May peace be with you and may you find a stash of jade that surpasses our imagination.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. at thanksgiving 2010,

    I wanted to post something about all I've learned here, most of which had nothing to do with leukemia and a lot to do with holy cow what does karass mean. but for once, (and maybe to the relief of some), I'm low on words. so, resorting to a quote because it came pretty close and because by tradition, I can't let Mac have the whole comment section--pat

    from thanksgiving message by Arlo Guthrie:

    "In the meanwhile, I do wish everyone reading this a thankful heart and a spirit of gratitude. There is nothing that shakes the world more than someone who understands how powerful it is to be thankful for being yourself. First of all, it means that no one else has to be you - that's almost good enough! As I accept myself, with all my faults and craziness, I naturally have to accept other people too for who they are. And there are some really crazy people out there! I love 'em. And I love that they are willing to be themselves. It keeps the rest of us more or less… well, us!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is John's brother Frank. I was fortunate enough to be by John's side at 4:30 AM that Sunday when he breathed his last breath. But, funny thing is, I had the feeling he was already out there, making the early morning rounds to say a fare-thee-well to all of you, his beloved friends and family. I had wanted to write a poem about John, but this pretty much came to me all at once about 2:30 that Sunday afternoon the 14th, as if directly from John. Evidently he had read Mac's posting too. So here it is:

    John’s New Groove
    As revealed to his brother Frank

    I’m right here my dear, not far, yes I’m near
    I’m hugging you hard, a warm kiss on your ear
    We have nothing to fear and it’s all now clear
    What was present is past and the future is here.

    Like the little bird you thought was dead
    Surprise! I just flew to that tree branch instead.
    I can run I can fly and I now know why
    There’s a bigger world out beyond the blue sky

    I can finally move and it just is proving
    That the love you gave is still keeping me grooving
    There’s no pain in my brain, my hip is all zip
    And my Spirit is doing a giant back flip

    All the pain we felt, a solved mystery
    Yes even history is now history
    You’ll be happy to find it all turns out fine
    And what’s aching your hearts turns to joy in due time

    Yes I’m dancing and singing in the heavenly rain
    So don’t cry for me, I’m done with the pain.
    I am all around you, there’s no need to grieve
    I‘m in the air in every breath you breathe

    Yes I’m in the water and the towering trees
    I can see way out past the galaxies
    Though your body will go you will soon be free
    And we’ll sail together through eternity.

    So on behalf of John and the entire Fiore clan, thanks to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully said
    Thank you
    xx
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, you are still with us in our dreams, love forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remembering you today, John, and missing that flash of lightning.
    You always will be...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thегe and Thank you so much for sharing this information. It has very useful. Please keep sharing.If you want more about the best treatment for Blood Cancer Kindly click the link
    best hospital for blood cancer in Coimbatore

    ReplyDelete