Saturday, July 02, 2005

BBQ

Saturday am
Work, work, work, that’s what Dana would say about now. I have a crazy idea, and Dana gets to work, work, work. Well, the shopping’s done, the salad’s made, the brownies are made, we’re all ready to go get the tri-tips and set up the BBQ. I need to go load the car with firewood. We were very fortunate to receive a load of Mac’s Ho-Spice via special shipment, complete with a Rick and Bubba Hat (unstained and thus virginal until later today), so we are now guaranteed success with the meats, and maybe the ladies too, if what Mac says is true – ‘Ho-spice on your meat, the ladies can’t retreat.’ ‘Ho-spice on your steak, you won’t get to take a break.’ ‘Ho-spice on your dinner, they all say you’re a real winner.’ ‘Ho-spice on your possum, you’ll get to see her bottom.’ ‘Ho-spice on her tummy, this is going to be so yummy. ’ ‘Ho-spice on your armadillo, what you doing with that pillow?’

Saturday pm
I knew I should've gotten the dang firewood days ago, but no, Saturday was better. Except the guy din't show up at the wood pile until 10:30, 30 min. late, and then the oak was on another ranch, and then we couldn't find any split cured oak in the 30 or so cords that were lying around. So he said, well, take some rounds, and we started to do that when he suggested we just split some stuff up. Since I was faced with going to Home Depot and paying a fortune, and taking more time than splitting wood, we started splitting wood. Made it to the park by 12:15.

The BBQ was a lot of fun. After we got set up and struggled with igniting oak that was not cured enough, people started showing up, and they were wearing eyebrow lowbrows, like these clowns!












































































Bushy eyebrows, get it?

















I made the potentially disastrous suggestion that Beauch make sure everyone got a nametag, thus mine read 'Cranky Ass John', Dana was 'Spudhead Dana, Lia was 'Biff' and young John was 'Fat Sonny', as 'Slim Shady' was taken. Beauch was 'Mr. Normal'.

I wrote my own song:
'They took me off the steroids,
and now I've got the hemorrhoids,
that is why they call me Cranky Ass John.
(chorus)
Cranky Ass John, Cranky Ass John,
His groaning and complaining
go on and on.'

We played a game Dana came up with that I named Encantado, where everyone got a sheet of paper with questions about different people at the BBQ. They had to talk to most of the people at the BBQ to answer the questions. Or do like Beauch and just make up answers, just like he did all through school. Did you know I went to school with the Pope? These were our questions.

Encantado
1. Who went to SLO High with Dana?

2. Who was married to a stuntman, and has a son who is a stuntman?

3. Who is Manitoubou, the BLOG commenter?

4. Who taught Mikey the proper use of obscenities, the f*^&R#R%ing imbecile, when Mikey was 5? A note here, we said the answer was Nick, but really it was Wayne. Nick would always yell 'Pull your head out'; he preferred implied obscenities.

5. Who are the Fiores’ neighbors?

6. Who was born in Chile?

7. Who is building a house?

8. Who was a bone marrow donor?

9. Who does yoga?

10. Who is going to Spain this summer?

11. Who plays rock guitar?

12. Who shot a 78 from the blue tees at Dairy Creek last week?

13. Who speaks the most languages?

14. Who did the electricity for Fiore’s hot tub?

15. Who has Fiore known since junior high?

16. Who hiked Machu Picchu?

Of course some of the people on the questions couldn't make the BBQ, and that was too bad but we certainly understand that things happen.


I want to give special thanks to Roger, Jen, Barry, Lia, and Gloria, for all their help getting prepped and getting us all fed. Roger and Barry helped us get all set up, then cooked up a storm, and Jen, Lia and Gloria were on the spot whenever something needed to get done, and spent a lot of time helping us get ready and helping us clean up. Without these people, we wouldn't have got this done.





































Nick and Dyan and their two prodigies drove all the way down from San Jose, and then drove back! I forgot to get them their prize for longest one-day drive! Jake and Zack, watch the mail!




































Sunday am
I was supposed to surf with Beauch this am, but woke up with major hamstring and calf cramps. This is still a recurring theme whenever I do something physical the day before, an annoyance of anemia. I have been working on getting this post done, and worked on it last night for a while, but it is going to take some time to get right. And, I just talked to Beauch, the crowds have left the water and the surf is still alright, so I am going to publish this the way it is for now, but it will be revised and more pics added later today. Stay tuned.
Sunday pm
We surfed, had a good time, beach was packed with escapees from Fresno, beating the heat in Morro Bay. We got there at noon so the waves weren't crowded, but the wind hadn't come up so the waves were OK. Lots of paddling, not many waves - my motor is undersized for the body it's trying to push. Got a couple of good ones, started cramping in the calves, got one more and called it a day. Tiring weekend.
















12 comments:

  1. THANKS so much for including us and taking such good care of us. FAB food, great company, perfect spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John and Dana and Family....Thank you all so much for such a wonderful day in the park for a celebration!

    Great group of supporters, friends and loved ones all in one place for one special reason...and that's YOU John...

    Dana, as usual, you put on a superb spread and the HO-SPice certainly was a welcome addition and I for one am glad that made it in time for the festivites.

    The comraderie between people who came together, some complete strangers before Saturday, was in and of itself, amazing.

    Way to go Fiore! Thank you for including me.
    Deb G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    So glad the cookout went well, despite the wood fiasco et al. Also happy to hear Mr. Paul Newman got the Ho-Spice to you in time and that Rick & Bubba delivered the hat. Sorry we could not make it.
    So good to see you're getting back out in the water. Better there than here, as the Bama and Florida coasts currently appear to be infested with sharks that have a bit of an attitude and a slight appetite issue.
    Got a lot of catching up to do today so may add some more comments later.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I changed that Ho-Spice picture to include a better shot of the hat. I haven't seen any sharks, but I try not to look, because they are out there somewhere. Fortunately we have great whites here, so they are not so numerous and tend to hunt the elephant seal herds to the north. Occasionally though, when the small fish like anchovy are schooling, the bigger fish eat them, then the sea lions eat them, and whitey comes along. Next thing you know, some lady that has swum daily for ten years loses her lower half, all the while thinking 'Oh, it's so lovely out here, the ocean is so full of life'. Just not hers anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, yep - saw the new view of the Rick & Bubba hat. Hope you enjoy it. If nothing else, it will at least bring a few inquiries in that part of the country.
    What the hell's going on with what appears to be a cancer epidemic? When I got up to Philly for Ed's service on Friday, I learned he had MDS. I didn't even know what MDS was until then. Then, when I get back in my office today, one of my staff people tells me her friend passed over the weekend from Leukemia and another one's going to the bright side shortly from melanoma. And 10 minutes ago I get an email that one of my previous staff members has a reoccurrence of cancer. Where's the f#`#@?%` hepa mask? A physician friend of mine has a good friend who's a physician scientist. The latter guy believes there may be huge, yet unknown, connection to things like substitute sweeteners. And that's why, since I heard that, I use gin in lieu of all that sweetener shit.
    Keep the faith buddy. May the wave be running up yer butt and the wind remain at your back.
    Won $45 on the links yesterday. The little kitties are safe for another couple of weeks.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sea lion on the Gaviota Coast decided to skip a link in the food chain and attacked a life guard this weekend. Took a few bites and decided he wasn’t good enough to eat. The life guard is expected to recover, however, I hear the sea lion now has cancer.

    I have heard speculation about artificial sweetners and cancer. The hubby and I now use honey. I don’t think gin would be too good in my morning coffee, but what the hell, maybe I’ll just skip the coffee and go right to the martini.
    John, Dana Thanks for a wonderful BBQ! Jack FINALLY removed his winebrows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mac I am sure you can tell I don't use any kind of sweeteners, even artificial; but I do eat sharks.
    Some of the surfers don't--they say it is like bad karma, dude...but I stick with my 10-year old niece, whose angelic face looked up at me last time we were grilling mako steaks and said, "well, pat, this one won't get us."
    Tough to figure, but I listen to John's scientific explanations and wait for my brain to simple it all down to something like maybe the great circle of life is really a slinky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat, you are a sweetener.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  9. now Mac, you have had some gin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. and go ahead and have some more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shit, here comes hurricane Dennis headed for Bama. The Little Woman and I are still doing repairs from Ivan of last September. It took a lot for me this morning to take stock of whether or not we were ready for another devastating storm. But, my old Boy Scout preparedness days paid off. After much searching and inventory I determined that the critical supplies were on hand: Gin, ice and olives. BRING IT ON
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Batten down the hatches Mac! Got enough kitty food to weather the storm? Here's hoping Dennis fizzles out before it gets to you. I've never been in a hurricane but I think I'll take our earthquakes here in California instead. You don't have to sit and wait for them to get to you and they are over in seconds.

    We're thinking of you guys!
    Love,
    D.

    ReplyDelete