Saturday, July 23, 2005

zzzzzzzzzz

It seems the worst of the mystery illness is over. I don’t have any more fevers, my weight has stabilized at 165 (was down to 161 from 175), and I am only sleeping 12 hours/day, and I’m pretty weak. Still a little unbalanced, and I may need to do some therapy to fix that.

The doc is still mystified. So I went to see the ear/nose/throat doc Wed., and she said I definitely did not have a sinus infection, she doesn’t see anything on the MRI like that. So that wasn’t it, someone was fishing. My regular doc says to me that he is concerned that the leukemia is hiding up in my head and that is what is causing this. My blood work is good, my spinal fluid is clear, but he says in some rare cases some leukemia cells hide out, and that could cause these symptoms. Let’s hope he is wrong. We agreed to see if I continue to improve for one more week, and if I don’t it’s spinal tap/chemo time again.

Young John got a job finally, at Cugini’s, and Mike is taking tennis and playing some hoops. Mike is going to Camp Tulequoia 1st week of Aug, then my Mom and sister Leslie are coming to visit, and then Mike is going camping with friends. I may try to take an overnighter this weekend, up to Big Sur, we’ll see. Dana is sick of looking at me lying around, so I better go lay around somewhere else. I’ll have to try swinging a golf club soon, though the balance thing is messing me up.

5 comments:

  1. John- I hate to hear about the mysterious hiding out leukemia....what a coward it is, let it show its ugly face. Is it ok to drive like that? Going out golfing and camping sounds adventurous for a dizzy fella.

    I got all my scans this week, c.t. scan, bone scan, mugascan...see what they say to me next week about how my innards are lookin' now. Then off to Alaska! With the heat i have been working in, glaciers sounds real good.

    Take it easy, hope it clears up on its own for you.

    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I do so hope your doc's idea turns out to be one that's not the case here. If those little leukemia nazi bastards are hiding up there they must be found and need to be ejected. Fine em and give them the big boot. The nerve of those little assholes - thinking they can just camp out in some remote corner and wait for the defensive linebackers to take a break or look the other way. They should be treated like any terrorist - DRT (Dead Right There). Ya know, it's a commonly known fact that terrorists are not fond of golf. That's why all golfers and golf enthusiasts can be trusted implicitly. So, if they're in there, take the little bastards out for at least nine holes; they hate that.
    What's the Cugini's place where John is working? Is it a good gig for him?
    I hope you do get to do the Big Sur overnighter. Although, as Jeanne said, do be careful. And be careful not to pose as shark bait. Whole different problem going on there; could screw up your entire weekend - and it does leave a mark.
    Best of luck with your next doc visit John. Keep us posted.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see a new entry even if you have not-sure-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-me news.
    I always think very positive, energetic, healing thoughts for you.
    We'll be sure to say "hi" to Young John when the "girls lunch" goes to Cugini's (which we do often). Please tell John those crazy ladies saying "hi" are not stalkers.
    XXXOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Bro John! It sounds like the balance thing is (dare we hope?)clearing up. The idea that the leuk cells might be hiding out in your head sounds just as speculative as the idea it was caused by a sinus infection. Too speculative, maybe. By what mechanism would a few renegade cells in your head affect balance, I wonder. He didn't happen to suggest if there might be a way to detect it did he? Brain biopsy? I know a guy, NMSU professor, who had a severe and mysterious inner ear (apparent) infection that resisted the typical anti-viral or bacterial treatments and eventually cleared up on its own after a six month period of dizzery. I trust the good doctor understands that having symptoms without a solid diagnosis is a proven stress maker and thus constitutes a drag on your recovery. So tell him: "Just don't stand there guessing...Go git 'em Doc!"

    Glad to hear John is working at Cugini's, another Fiore inside an Italian restaurant. Is he a waiter or actually in the kitchen. Guess I'll contact him and tell him a few food inspector tales from beneath the sink...Ha! MUCH LOVE TO YOU,JOHN, KEEP HANGING IN-YOU ARE A GREAT INSPIRATION TO US ALL, LOVE frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Frank's message. My cousin Ann had the same problem as the NMSU professor. Or, perhaps you were unconciously depressed about Anglina Jolie and Brad Pitt hooking up. Whatever the cause, don't get off that sofa until you feel restored and rested. Fight the desease but don't fight the recovery process.
    xo

    ReplyDelete