Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A little tipsy

What a crappy week. I woke up last Wednesday, stood up, and nearly fell over. I walked downstairs and was very dizzy, and I started vomiting. Here it is now almost a week later and I am still running a fever, with a big headache and an aching back, and I’ve lost ten pounds this week. It is getting better though; the double vision is gone, I can use a computer, and I was vertical most of yesterday.

When it started I thought, this is great, this is some inner ear thing. I’d been surfing Sunday and Monday, so maybe I picked up something in the water. I called my doc, said Hey, either I have an ear infection or a brain tumor, and went in to see him, but he saw no evidence of an ear infection. He wanted me to get an MRI, because he was worried the swelling in my brain had messed up the spinal fluid flow. He also wanted me to get an extra spinal tap and chemo injection, just in case that swelling had blocked the last spinal chemo injection.

Sheesh, I started typing this at 9 this morning, but couldn’t get it done. I’ll try again.

So I went in and had an MRI, and what a bizarre bunch of noises that thing makes, like a collection of factory noises with Tourette Syndrome. Not painful, unless you are claustrophobic, which I am not. The MRI showed I have a sinus infection. That’s it. So I go on antibiotics, and Friday I go back to Spinal Tap city. That went fine too, but I was not feeling any better, dizzy, nauseous, couldn’t eat, sweats, chills. I don’t know if the antibiotics are helping or the infection is just wearing out, because yesterday the doc says he thinks it’s viral.

I’m thinking Lyme disease, West Nile virus, or ???? Just going to have to wait it out. If I’d gotten whatever the hell I got pre-leukemia, I’d think I had the flu. Now, though, I get an MRI and a spinal tap.

And to top it all off, Dana says to me the other day, ‘When did you lose your eyebrows?” It was always a joke before, with the Eyebrow Lowbrow, but now it’s finally happening. I just hope I don’t lose my eyelashes too.













5 comments:

  1. John Holy Cow Man,
    Such good news that you are up and about again. How bout a major muster call for the little Army to form ranks again and go after that infection. It should be a cake-walk for them, especially in light of their recent victory against the leukemia nazis.
    I know what you mean about the MRI noises. I had one a couple of months ago. I wasn't even paying attention to the deivice itself until the slab started rolling me into the the big penis tube thingy. I thought, shit, so this is what a little spermie feels like in there. All of a sudden it was a nostalgia trip back to the old Woody Allen movie; I think it was called Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex. Anyway, even though I'm not claustrophobic either, the top of the penis tube looked a little too close for comfort for my liking. So whatyado now? Golf saves the day again. I just closed my eyes and played 18 holes, shot-by-shot. By the time I finished that career low round (funny how that happens), I was being ejaculated form the big penis tube thingy. The only part of that little trip that was a big disappointment was that none of Angelina Jolie's orifices were there to catch me on my way out. I guess that's a double bogie.
    Get well soon buddy.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John,
    Sorry to hear your fun BBQ was followed by such a tailspin. Too bad you’re not here to spew some toxic puck into the gopher holes in my front yard. I’m seriously thinking about breaking my code and mining the tunnels with poison. I’ll give them one more weekend to get into the trap, but after that its war!
    If you’re looking for a good read while recuperating I recommend “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson. It is a rather comical account of his attempt to hike all 2,100 miles of the Appalachian Trail with his former drug abuser college roommate. Something about your sense of humor makes me think you might enjoy it.
    Hope you are feeling a lot better this week.
    xo- Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/toilets/pee-goal-112810.php

    Ok guys, check out the above site to find a new game to play with yourself in the bathroom. This should get you all to drink those eight glasses of water per day.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewwww! Hey Lis, did I ever tell you my sister Lia's gopher strategy? It involves dried mashed potato flakes but is not pretty. I think you have to be at wit's end to go there. Let me know.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. john,
    hope you get yourself feeling fine so you can get back to bad golfing. i'll have some golf stories for you soon.

    randy

    ReplyDelete