Tuesday, September 30, 2008

John Fiore 2.0

12:45 pm Dana here, the first round of stem cells are in. John is feeling pretty good, if a bit woozy from all the drugs they're giving him. But the first batch of Lisa's cells are in without a hitch. We are waiting for her to come up and celebrate with us! One more batch to go in but everything looks good!















John wrote the rest of this this morning before the transfusion:

Here we are at day zero, end of John Fiore 1.2, start of John Fiore 2.0. Everything is happening as planned. They are collecting additional cells from Lisa right now, 9:30 am, having collected yesterday as well. She must have gotten a call last night asking her to come in this morning. They have me all prepped with FK506, an immuno-suppressant, and they will use that drug to suppress the graft versus host disease reaction until the transplant takes. They will begin the transfusion some time around noon today, very anti-climactic. I did save a piece of carrot cake and asked the nurse if we could get a candle, but she didn’t think it was a good idea.


















I woke up two days ago with mucositis, a very raw and sore inside of the mouth and tongue, a reaction to the irradiation and to the VP16. I just have to not grin and bear it. Oral hygiene is very important now, and difficult to accomplish with the sponge on a stick and saline solution I am restricted to using. I must be clenching my teeth all night too, because my teeth ache when I wake up. I cannot eat things like pancakes or muffins either, as they turn to mucilage instantly in my mouth.

They rigged me up with so many connectors for IV that I look like some kids Lego or K’Nex toy. There must be at least 8 access points on my tubing. Taking a shower and keeping it all dry is a major challenge. I try to accomplish this with Ziploc bags and lots of tape, but I am too hairy for this to work well, so I use the shower wand carefully and it all works out.

I sure do appreciate all the support and positive thoughts you all have been sending my way, and wish I could have all of you come visit us here, but the reality is the smartest thing I can do for the next few months is to become very isolated. The case nurse told me to only have direct family members visit; no windows open in the apartment; new A/C filters; mask on any time outdoors, i.e. to and from the car; windows in car closed; etc. Bubble Boy.



Manuel, Lisa, and Dana suited up.





Dana has been out looking for a closer apartment, and I think she has found one right here in Palo Alto, so we’ll have a new address soon. It's a little retro fourplex just a couple of blocks from downtown and less than ten minutes from the hospital.

7 comments:

  1. Lisa looks very cheerful, like she is probably not sitting there saying whadaya want from me, blood? or anything like that.
    On the rare occasion when I think of things not to say I think of you (your advice if not example). for instance, the time you took us christmas shopping at the mental hospital gift store where the inmates sell the crafts made in sheltered workshop.
    all the way there, the instructions.
    okay, if you don't like what somebody else picks out, don't say You're crazy.
    if you want to buy a cup of coffee, don't ask if they use chock full of nuts.
    if somebody disagrees with you, don't just blurt out that's insane.
    etc
    so here I am, looking at the pictures and just knowing I would NOT say anything like this sucks or I feel drained.
    one of my sister-in-laws is kind of a self-appointed family censor--all kinds of rules, not just cursing but don't even say stupid. her daughter asked at our house one day if she could turn on that bad word box because she heard me call the tv the idiot box.
    So one day I'm taking a bunch of the kids to a party at a "good aunt's" house, and Eddie (Ed's boy/Jen's buddy), young at the time, was all dejected when we're on the way in.
    why?
    Deb's gonna be here, we can't even say cheesedog.
    So I told him we could leave it all in the bushes on the way in and we're out there on the steps yelling that is STUPID, you cheesedog and as many swear words we can think of to "leave at the door" before it opens.
    naaaa, there's no point
    I'm just wondering what the HEAVEN the drugs have done to your brain to make you think it would be a good idea for us all to visit!
    forget about the germs. let's get more practical.
    If we were all there, who would you be writing to and then how would you get a book out of this?
    though I think by now it might be a series.
    as your potential editor, I'd have to say that rambling evasive chatter like this would have to be the first to go; but for now, let it remind you what company is really like, bubble boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, this is your brudda. I'm glad to hear that John 2.0 is now available. You are looking good with all those lil sista cells running around in there. So I hope you are feeling better very soon because this really seems like your new birthday of sorts and I'm marking it down on the calendar. And give Lisa and Manuel (and Dana!) a hard hard hug from Cheryl and me. I'm looking forward to visiting when those leuco-bastard are gone and the shining white cells are back in control (or sooner if allowed) much love coming at you, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. John & Lisa,

    Super, super job ! ! ! You guys rock.

    John, so good to hear that nothing popped up right off the bat. That's a very good sign.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go guys! It seemed to go well! Hope you are both feeling as comfortable as Lisa looked and ready for the next round!
    We're all rooting for you out here!
    Love, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good going John--we're thinking of you. Lisa's blood is the healing blood of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dyan and I are pumping much positive energy your way. Nice to know you finally have the new cells in you. Go forth and multiply. Try to avoid rejecting issues as much as possible. Your sis is trying as hard as she can and it would be polite to take them with as little objection as possible. Remember that we are close by so if you or Dana need ANYTHING please let us know. BTW, the entire economic world is melting down with you in the hospital so it would be great if you could pull yourself together so the economy could rebound a bit. Not to blame it all on you or anything, but you know how emotional those Wall Street types are. I love you like a brother John...Nick

    ReplyDelete
  7. John - You look wonderful. I am so glad everything is going your way. Praying for you.... so is everybody where I work. You and your family are awesome. Ana

    ReplyDelete