Saturday, September 27, 2008

Round two


Last Saturday we took care of one of the clerical tasks that needed to be done, the last Will and Testament and the Advanced Health Care Directive. Fortunately I don’t have much since the stock market was ravaged by the proclaimed ‘sound economy’. We still had to decide who would help Mike through the end of high school, and how I wanted my body to be used. Since I have a medically interesting body, it makes sense to send this battlefield of a body to medical research. We also documented a living will. Let me be clear here, though, I am not kicking it any time soon.

The Advanced Health Care Directive guides people at the time when I will be unable to make decisions. In that document you give authority to someone, typically a spouse. You can also direct any special instructions, and this is where it gets tricky. This is all Plan W, last resort thinking, usually something like ‘Do not resuscitate’ or ‘Send my body to Stanford Univ. Medical for research’. Here is what I gave as a special directive- if I become hopeless - send me to South Korea and enter me in a trial run that uses stem cells as a cure. Why not?

Thus I was forced to spend some time and brainspace thinking about death and dying, and that tainted my weekend a little. Like many warriors before me, I thought about running away from all this treatment, but there is nowhere to go where I won’t be dead in 2 years if untreated. And like most warriors before me, I cleaned my gun, checked my ammo, loaded grenades, and sharpened my bayonet and shovel. Hooah!

It’s almost 6am, and I need to take a shower without getting my central line wet, kind of tricky. The staff at the ITA is anxiously awaiting today’s fashion statement, which will be a very muted tan ensemble, with camo hepa filter covers on my respirator. Yesterday’s ensemble included gambling lounge pants, with cards, dice, Take A Chance, and other gambling items, very colorful, and this time I wore a nice blue shirt.

We got a call from one of the docs tonight; it seems they found more pockets of leukemia around the liver and pancreas. This means I am not in remission, but that knowledge only changes the protocol of chemo, adding a shot of Cytoxan. The next day, another doc comes by and tells me that a group of docs got together and decided the additional toxicity was not worth the result, so we continue as originally planned.

Thur 6am


The radiation machine is big; the business end of it reminds me of the sand worms in the Dune trilogy, or in 'Tremors'.



I am supposed to be getting pretty ill by now, but all I am getting is a rosy glow and some mild nausea pangs. When those come, I eat something. Lisa has been getting daily shots of Neupogen, and everything is moving forward. I have been getting radiation treatments 3 times a day, 7:30, 1:30, and 3:30.

The treatment only takes a few minutes of gowning up, a few more minutes to get set in the right spot, strapped in the sling that will catch me if I collapse. They then align the radiation blocks with the marks they have drawn on my chest and back that outline my lungs, and tape it all in place. Once that most critical alignment is all set, the nurses leave the room and turn on the beam for eight minutes of radiation. There is no sensation from the radiation; if there weren’t a sound of buzzing machinery, and a sign across the room that says ‘Beam On’, you’d never know you were being zapped.

The only thing I have to do in this is stand perfectly still for eight minutes. And that is a challenge. I try to stay occupied through this, counting the tiles on the floor, inventorying the room, trying to determine if the flashes of ‘Beam On’ are one-second intervals. Every two minute or so the nurse checks me over the PA system, and I let her know I am OK.

Friday – I am done with radiation, kept my queasy gut in check, thanks to Zofran and Atavan and Gatorade. The nurses in radiation therapy have taken care of me in these treatments, and the nurses in the recovery area kept me comfortable and informed. They are surprised that I am eating, and so am I since I do not feel that hungry.

All this week I have been lugging around a shopping cart with a backpack strapped to, containing 4 liters of solution, dripping at 150ml/hour. Just before I leave on Friday, they give me a new bag and up the rate to 250ml/hour. If I see a fire on the way back to the apartment I could put it out.

Saturday 8 am

Today I check into the hospital, unit E1. I am in no hurry. Lisa is feeling some effects of her daily Neupogen injections, headaches and bone aches, all expected. I am still queasy but hanging in there, definitely took some hard body shots plus a kick in the groin, and I feel tired. I call round two a draw. Once I get in the hospital they are going to hit me with VP16 chemo, and that should kill any bone marrow I have left.

7 comments:

  1. How so like you to think of others if you are no longer able to think. You are a terrific. Of course when you’re 105, they may not want you in Korea! I am sure the future planning must have been rather an out-of-body type experience for both of you. Tough in a different way. We admire you greatly.
    Let’s keep the quilla spears focused
    We are all here for you.
    Much love, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo Qwilla Thrilla
    Round 2 Recap

    HolyCowCrazyPants made public his reluctance to enter the ring for round two. Nevertheless, he presented himself in appropriate attire that was more consistent with an event at Harrah’s in Las Vegas, complete with a gambling motif, thereby demonstrating his willingness to take on the challenger and wager against the little bastards.

    The challenger may have missed some early blows because of HolyCowMan’s ingenious use of camouflaged heppa mask covers. Veeery cool!

    Once HolyCowCrazyPants got through the initial shower of elements without getting his line wet, the challenger tried to plant little bastard blows to his liver and pancreas. Those blows did not dissuade or slow CrazyPants from his purpose.

    It looked very intimidating to the crowd as the challenger reemerged in radiation machine transformer mode. As the radiation blows began, HolyCowMan went up against the blocks and straps that sling the ring. He later admitted that he experienced the sound of buzzing machinery as the challenger was Beam On during the battle. However, CrazyPants was so unfazed by the barrage from the challenger that he actually taunted the challenger by taking inventory of the ring during the flurry of blows from the challenger. Although the medical team was asking, via the PA system, if HolyCowMan required a break, he accepted no such respite.

    Even before the round was complete, HolyCowCrazyPants could be found satisfying a curious appetite and training for the next round by wearing backpacks laden with what appeared to be fire fighting equipment.

    Although some called the round a draw, it’s apparent to the spectators that CrazyPants gained an upper hand once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe, like the main character in "Brazil" when under duress this beautiful music comes on. Very uplifting with beautiful scenery, delusional no doubt, but soothing. Kinda like counting tiles..or counting the holes in the ceiling tiles, counting crows, counting on...the sun rising again in the east after a sleepless night.
    It has been a dark dreary day, wet and heavy, with the buzzing of a bad halogen light.
    Rooster tails on the expressway. Plumes of fog lift off the shore, I see as I crest the top of the bridge and begin the descent. I usually speed up now. Race the setting sun, a dazzling view ahead. Conditions today encourage caution and reflection.
    As I head south on coastal 1A I still see these ribbons of fog rising, but they are not as distinct, close up. I rolled down my window to feel the dampness on my skin and inhale deeply.
    Thanks John
    Thanks all
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warrior,

    We think about you daily...and pray for both you and Lisa. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

    A survived warrior,

    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  5. yo
    luckypants
    good to see you with Dana AND your book all in one picture...and not to get off the subject or anything but oh yeah, that's my job.
    so--with apologies to our republican friends--did you see Michael Moore put his movie Slacker Uprising online for free? hope anybody with voting age children takes a look, maybe even takes hope.
    seems like a sign of spring even to see a person offer his work as a gift in gratitude for past support and in case it might serve to unify, perhaps even enlighten a few but oh yeah again, guess now we're talking one of your jobs.
    at least until you get into modeling full time.
    to paraphrase your old pals from M'Aqua, I don't see you selling pants on street corners, baby; I see you selling pants in Carnegie Hall!
    write on
    we're out here, we're listening, we'll eat good when we get to the hideout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. john, lucky pants guy... you are one of the most amazing warriors i've ever known. like the "spartans" in the movie 300. i know you will win this battle.... its in your blood. and, obviously in lisa's too. stay strong, and know that the "guapas" have a hot dish cookin up for you in the very near future. you have the hottest guapa right there at your side. such a lucky guy.... hence the pants! with love and besos, daria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am here for you and will visit with my prayers from SLO and unsolicited advise...ha ha
    Call/text email anytime...i've been there and am still here!
    Luv The ONeils Rich/Laura/Tommy/Meghan/and Katy

    ReplyDelete