Saturday, September 13, 2008

Yellowstone pics


It's Sunday morning. A lot of our plans are getting scrambled because my sister Lisa is having some inner ear problems. No Hearst Castle, no BBQ, but I hope tomorrow's Yosemite trip will still be ok for them. I really want them to have some fun on this trip and I have to go to Stanford tonight for the irradiation fitting tomorrow am. I think they are going to tie me to the table, so if I start hopping around like a sunny-side up egg the irradiating won't overcook me. 4 hours and then I will head back to SLO. I have to go back Wednesday night for procedures on Thursday and Friday, and then we get 'cooking' on the 22nd.

Here are some pics from the Yellowstone trip, and Donald is sending me more.

I had to get out the poncho to keep the pack dry.







Donald was wearing an eye patch to deal with the troubling double vision problem that cropped up just after he got to Bozeman. He has been ruling out some more serious stuff; hopefully it is just some minor vessel damage that will self-repair.












I borrowed Donald's Crocs to get through this creek and keep my boots dry, but that was the first and last time.
It took too much time, so if I couldn't find a rock or log crossing I just waded through and got my boots wet.


Those little white spots in this pic are snowflakes, and it snowed in earnest for about a half hour. We had gathered a substantial pile of wood to make a drying fire.










This bear was strolling down the road until a car came from behind it and scared it into the bushes.













Bears love to scratch the trees for the same reason cats do.











Donald and I at the Mammoth area.











13 comments:

  1. John,

    Very cool pics. Makes me want to jump on a plane and go back to the great Pacific Northwest.

    I checked into the blog just after reading this great article by Neil Ulman in the Wall Street Journal about fly fishing in retirement. Check it out:

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122098038654115429.html

    I hope Donald's vision returns to normal. Please let us know how that turns out for him.

    I hope you have a good week John. Keep us posted.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pics! I loved the bear scratchings. I bet that water was freezing, it made me shiver just thinking about wading in.
    This is a hectic week you are going through, worrying too regarding Lisa's inner ear problems. All this driving four hours there and four hours back must be tiring? When do you get to rest and recuperate from the Bozeman trip?
    Thinking about you all.
    Love Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goooomba!
    (Thats never going to get old)

    Nice pictures!
    I have lots of fond memories of camping up in those mountains.

    I recently went on a vaca with my family to Croatia, and im putting up the pics...theres a lot of em:
    http://mfhfozzy.smugmug.com/Travel/553197

    Keep on fighting man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac, just about every time I go to check out a newspaper link someone sends me, it is out of date and I get the 'Sorry, your page is unavailable.' I did find it here, in the archives. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122098038654115429.html
    We almost stopped at Slough Creek in Yellowstaone, which some say is the best trout fly-fishing spot IN THE WORLD. We didn't, too many damn fishermen. I am too impatient to fish unless it's with a spear.

    And Robert, what a trip! Did you stand on the stone outside the pharmacy in Dubrovnik and remove your shirt, one year of good luck? We were in Dubrovnik and Split in 1987, before the war, and they were fabulous. Looks like Dubrovnik still is, but your Split photos were missing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pregressive Poemry – Verse One

    Went hiking with a pirate and a bear
    Crossed rivers on the backs of crocs
    Ended up I know not where
    Time will unkey all the locks
    Open doors, thresholds to cross
    No more words, I’m at a loss

    Next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. if I had crossed that frozen stream
    I'd want to lay down in the steam
    and dream bear scratchings on a tree
    that look like valentines to me
    guess bark-art reading's a projective technique
    like regressive poemry--who's next to speak?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s of scrambled plans
    That we now hear
    And comes from Lisa’s
    Inner ear
    Was that a Bearmobile
    In the lane we saw
    Hath bark from pine
    Stripped with claw
    Spots of white
    In a Yellowstone night
    Firewood
    To dry the hood
    And heat the pack
    So the Bearmobile
    Does not track
    There is no bike
    To enhance the hike
    It’s up to you
    It’s what you do
    On this journey of yours
    Walk you must
    Sans villa for cover
    To satisfy your lust
    You’re one tough mother…

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pirate and a bear,
    Not so very different
    from the one
    who's life we share,
    And his toothy, looming foe,
    Lurking like a shadow.
    "C'mon, let's have a go!"
    the pirate grins and shifts his patch,
    "The better to see you with!" he laughs
    and steps shirtless
    from a stone.
    His luck and grit
    will bring him home.
    Boo-qwilla watches
    with raven eyes,
    Healing powers materialize,
    Lisa's transformed cells arise,
    Let loose with cries
    of "Havoc!"


    (Dare ya to find something that rhymes with havoc...and no, maverick doesn't.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pirate’s vision quest was met
    With firelight, snow and boots of wet

    Camaraderie and reverie
    Temporarily interrupt reality

    Returning like some Geyser’s steam
    Like something from a Rodin dream

    Which fries my brain and burns my flesh
    Protected by some thin white mesh

    Return me once again to Rodin’s gate
    To dance with devils and tempt fate

    ReplyDelete
  10. boots of wet...
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poemry! Anything goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. no
    NOT anything goes
    no making fun of anybody's boots--
    little respect for poemic license, here please!

    ReplyDelete