Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Field dependent



We just came from the doctor’s office, so I want to relate the latest info. The CT scan I had last week shows no change. The masses are the same size. This means the doctor will come up with a chemotherapy plan by the end of the week. We probably need some new chemos, so he will work with Stanford to see what is available, including clinical trials. I may have to go back to Stanford, either in hospital or outpatient.

We will not pursue donor leukocyte infusion until those masses in my pancreas are very reduced. My best hope right now is for a clinical trial that involves chocolate and italian food, with a side of mahi mahi, not necessarily all at once. If nothing at all happens, or chemo cannot arrest the progress of this disease, the Irish wake is planned for some time in October or so. I would like to be there, listening to you all say what a great guy I was, but every one I have suggested this to (having a wake before I die) said it would be quite weird and uncomfortable. Cowards.

All this leaves me with a lot of work to get done. Do I finish turning the blog into a book? Keep going on the genealogy project? Make the jade fountain I always said I would make? I know I have to make all the finances very straightforward, and finish my appeal with Social Security.

I will most likely move back in with my family. Dana and I have been working things out, and I love her, and she loves me, and she is very supportive and knows that I will need her support. Moving back in will be a big job, but I will just take my time. Time to shed some things, too.

It occurs to me that it would be so much easier if I knew we had no hope and how much time exactly I had, but of course there is a glimmer of hope and I am prepared to dash through the eye of the needle, again. None of us knows how much time we have, and it highlights to me just how important every day is, how important it is to tell my family that I love them, to pet my dog and throw the ball with him, and to appreciate the beauty all around me.



Dana and I went out to the east of Santa Margarita last Thursday, to Shell Creek Road, where the wildflowers were having their annual show, spectacular this year after the rains. We had a little picnic and basked in the glory of living.









I wrote this a few weeks ago, in a bleak mood, based on the weekly prompt (stranded) from Writing Through Cancer:

Empty

Vision’s getting blurry,
skin like dry cracked paper,
random pains are flaring up
in my abdomen and joints as my body
consumes itself in a fight for life.
Stranded in nowhere, rocks and sky and
scrub, rapidly fading now,
only fumes in my tank,
nothing in the bank, raided and
traded for this long shot at life and love,
for hands to ease me down,
a rock for a pillow and sand
for a blanket,
and the vultures overhead like a ceiling fan,
shade, blaze, blaze,
shade, blaze, blaze.
Relentless, relentless,
comforted that we all die,
it had to happen,
this too shall pass.
Why be thankful for the pain,
just to know there is life yet?
The accounts are drained,
the tank is empty,
and I’m stranded between
living and dying.

7 comments:

  1. Hey John-this is ya brudda. There is still lots of room for hope and we are all pulling for you. Project wise, I vote for the Jade Fountain, an idea of timeless beauty that would be living poetry in stone and water. I'll come out and help you build it. The blog book is publisher-ready now in my humble opinion. And if it comes down to it, heaven forbid, a live Irish wake is a super idea and a great way to thumb your/our collective nose at the situation. much love.....Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey John, this is pat to agree wit ya brudda--except the help you build it part of course...though, to paraphrase field dove dreams, if you build it big enough, I would probably end up swimming in it after the wake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John

    Your poetry (and blog) has been recommended to the Writer's Almanac. I couldn't resist- I'll bludgeon them into reciting your poetry on air. It has touched a nerve with so many of us- and as your journey continues, we follow every word, evry picture (though I might pass on the Word Jumble that so irreverently appears alongside it..) Unless you come up with only-john's-jumble...not for primetime, as I know it might be. Be strong, the prayer treatments will carry us through it again. Trust, believe. I do.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we help move you and your stuff back home? Our truck is available. We care about you and Dana and we are sending you healing thoughts and prayers.
    Janice and Craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello pal,
    Ahhhhhh the photos of California poppies (Eschscholzia californica - don't know why I happen to remember the Latin name.... every once in a while one [Latin name] pops into my head from my Ornamental Horticulture class at Poly in.... 1974....) and the lupins make me very homesick for beautiful SLO County. Seems as though you and Dana are enjoying it enough for all of us, which is great.
    I say we all plan a trip to SLO in October to celebrate how well you're doing.
    Hope you can get down here to sunny Jamaica sometime soon. I need an excuse to quit working so much and get out to enjoy the place!
    Thinking of you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John - Loved the pictures of the wildflowers...stay strong, fight hard and love life. Things we all need to do daily. Holding you, Dana and your family in my prayers. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John and Dana, my heart goes out to you and your family. I am glad you are enjoying every day as we all really never know when it's our time....scary as it seems to me...I hate thinking about it....but know that you have all of us in your corner....praying, sending warm, healing vibes and special thoughts as you are all very special to the WWWC family! (((HUGS)) Terri from WWWC

    ReplyDelete