Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sleepless Valentines



It’s 8:45 am, and I am hanging in my cell at French Hospital with my cellie Tom. I am by the window, he is by the door, and we have had our breakfast, French toast and sausage, pretty good but a little spicy if you have mucositis. Also, apple juice and coffee. We both slept badly, interrupted every twenty minutes or so for one reason or another, just often enough that we (at least I) couldn’t get past the whirring and clicking of the IV pumps (very timely comment by Manitoubou on the last post.) Tom had a knee replaced yesterday morning and has some pain, and I am peeing a lot from all this hydration. I asked for an Ambien, but my Doc hadn’t ordered it, so they gave me a Benadryl. I was not kept awake by sneezing. We have formed a yard gang, the Valentine Dudes, since we are in room 214. The tattooist is coming by later to get our colors inked on.

It’s raining pretty good on and off, and my windows seat is a little cool, both in view and in venting. As soon as cellie Tom leaves for physical therapy, in a minute or two, I will try for my daily constitutional. Every time I share a room in a hospital, the bathroom is right by the other guy’s bed, and his guests will be sitting in chairs just outside the bathroom door. Yesterday I just drove them all out with some ‘Reveille’ on my bugle, followed up with ‘Charge!’ They did not return until ‘Taps.’

Dang, they all just left for Tom’s PT, and now the nurses have moved in to change his bed. I am left here wishing for 5 minutes of privacy. Why do I always end up blogging about the hospital bathroom experience? Dang, they all returned from PT just as the nurses finished the bed, so I am breaking out the bugle. I am considering doing a Miles Davis jazz riff.

I came in yesterday morning and was getting a PICC line put in by 8:30am. I blew it and let them go with the right arm, without considering which side the IV pole would be at. Of course, I hadn’t seen the room yet, but still, an old pro like me should’ve known which questions to ask. Doh! Now I have IV lines across my body, and have to be a little more careful when I move.

Anyway, I have been sucking down 2000 mg of methotrexate since yesterday about 1pm, and I will finish around 11am. Just like old times, except 50 times more in one dose. No nausea, no side effects, but the best is yet to come. After the methotrexate they will hit me with the cytarabine, in pulsed doses over the next 2 days. I have to give them a handwriting sample before the first pulse of cytarabine, as a baseline sample. After each pulse they will get another sample, and if I start writing like a doctor, that’s bad. If I start writing like Hemingway, that’s worse, and if I start writing like Nietzsche, I turned German.

It’s funny but once I get in the hospital my whole mood elevates a little. Maybe it’s because I feel like I am doing something to battle this disease, maybe it’s just that I get in this scrappy mode, still wanting to live and to prove I am a tough guy. I still don’t like the crazy idea that people are best served when in their lowest of times by sharing their living space with total strangers, but I’ve harped on that before, so I let it go now.

Unfortunately, when you lie sleepless in the night in the hospital, that is when it all seems the most hopeless. I actually had to add planning my funeral to my to-do list in my brain! I remember having to go do this planning with my brother when my father died, or maybe we were just finalizing it, I don’t clearly remember because I wasn’t all there when it happened. I don’t want Dana to have to do this when the time comes.

To Do List

It’s a lot of work,
getting ready to die.
I don’t want to leave a big mess
for my loved ones to clean up.
Sorry enough the troubles I left
in their minds, all those bad memories,
like stacks of 33s and videotapes that
got wet in the flood, warped and
smelling of rot and earwigs.
They have digital copies but can’t shed the
old records, just in case.
I go through my things and fill the boxes-
Goodwill, Give Away, Garbage.
My buddy gets this pile,
sell the gym, who wants this desk,
get tires on the car,
write a maintenance schedule,
fix the refrigerator,
where is the living will,
where is the last will and testament,
are the bank records straight,
is the bill-paying routine clear?
And then I think, ‘What about
my remains, my funeral, I don’t want
to add a gritty pile of ash and bone
to the soggy messes
in the basements of those I love,
to the warped vinyl and the moldy papers.
Will I need special handling
because of all the chemo?
What can I do to save my love
from all the damage I’ve wrought?
I don’t have time,
I need more time,
please let me pile up
a little more time.

9 comments:

  1. John....stay strong! You've been through this before and they say third time is a charm! Let this be YOUR charm....I am thinking of all of you and sending lots and lots of healing vibes...you deserve it....know we're thinking of all of you and sending good thoughts your way.....Terri from the WWWC

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, you are an amazing guy. The way you are able to keep your sense of humor and think of others as you go through this is an inspiration to us all. Keep up the fight. There are more of us pulling for you out here than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7:48 am on a partly cloudly SLO day. I'm sure by now the vampires have been in for your blood and perhaps you've even had some breakfast. The cytarabine is what gives you the numb fingers if I call recall correctly and thus the handwriting samples. I think that's better then stool samples, but I suppose they collect those too.
    (Sorry Dana...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I gotta tell ya, you look good in that pic buddy. Let those good looks and feelings flow through.

    Man, if the medical community starts evaluating health based upon handwriting analysis, I think I’m screwed. I can’t read mine once it reaches 24 hours old.

    Hang in there John. Give em hell.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there John. Your on my mind every day!!! Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I think I am having a bad day I read your blog to keep things in perspective. Everything you are going through makes my problems tiny in comparison. Regardless of the fight you have been in for years now, your spirit remains in tact. One hell of man, one hell of a man.

    I am forever grateful that our paths crossed. I keep telling myself that they crossed for a reason but that reason remains blurred. I take your wisdom, your spirit, your sense of humor, yet I feel like I give nothing in return. I would give you my strength but I know you don't need it. I would give my own bone marrow but I know you can't use it. I will give you the only thing of myself I can...hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am at a loss for words
    i cheer
    i applaud
    encore
    i hope for more

    john,
    i really appreciate this sense of organization and putting things in order, but I need to tell you. The best thing that you can do for those around you is to take good care of yourself.

    During the two months prior to my surgery, between the testing, the imaging and imagining, my mind was on fast forward. The point. 4th of July, Patty and Vinny in 90 degree heat drive to Cumberland, for a family party and a local parade. I opt out. Could have been a quiet, relaxing day at home. Could have taken a trip and never left the farm. But, I get this idea to clean the gutters, so when I am not around, this at least will be in order. Great idea, that is until the way down, when the improperly set ladder collapses, leaving me with one leg through a window resting on an airconditioner. Ok, I am not bleeding to death I find as I extradite myself. A phone call to the local hardware store, finds them open for business, my business. Off I go, mo mission to fix the now broken window, But, thank god the gutters are clean and water can now flow freely when it comes to end this drought. Nice day for a drive, nice way to relax. Until, I rear ended a car half a mile from the hardware store. Hey that's cool. I limped my totaled car, after filling out the accident report to my place of work, to change into my work van. No stopping me. Now let me cut to the chase. I broke three panes of glass, before finally bringing it back to the hardware store for them to fix.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7x8s9P4U8&feature=related
    don't know if this will link or if you may need to cut and paste

    big hugs bud
    dreaming of a home run
    got my lucky underware on
    and I asked Anthony for some help in finding my rabbits foot

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John, you are the Man O' Guts! When is the book coming out?-people who need it are lining up. Never mind, the whole point is that you are still at it, still standing, still jabbing and stabbing at the Evil Leuko-One. Your brave light shining the way through the dark night where we have not yet been. Thanks for showing us how it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 7:22 AM cool and cloudy SLO morning. Speaking of lucky underwear, where are those wild pants you wore at Stanford?

    ReplyDelete