Friday, April 30, 2010

Update from Dana

Well, John gave us all a good scare this morning. He woke up with a slight temp. I called the doctor and he told me to bring John in to the ER. His white blood cell count is way down (not unexpected for nadir) and he is just too fragile to risk messing around with any kind of infection.

As we were preparing to leave, John was at the sink about to rinse his mouth and said he suddenly didn't feel well. I shadowed him for a few seconds around the kitchen asking him if he wanted to sit down but he was not responding. Then I noticed that his eyes had rolled back in his head and I told his brother, Frankie, standing behind him, that I thought he was going to collapse and we should try to get him to the couch. At that moment he did collapse but Frankie was able to break his fall. We got him about half way to the couch but decided to just lay him down and get his legs up and then I called 911.

He was coming around when the firefighters got here (just a couple of minutes) and the ambulance arrived shortly after that. He was taken in ambulance to the hospital where he seemed to rally as soon as he got some fluids in him. We think he may have been dehydrated. He hasn't been able to swallow without a lot of pain so he hasn't been able to eat or drink much. He was in the hospital yesterday getting platelets and got IV fluids, but I guess the fever can dehydrate you quickly and this may be what happened. We all had a scary moment though, and I think poor Mikey got a reality check on how serious his dad's condition is. I called young John from the hospital and he and his girlfriend, Laura, left the bay area almost immediately and are here now.

John was admitted back into the hospital after almost six hours in the ER this morning. He is getting IV antibiotics and fluids. He is very at risk for infection, so really shouldn't have visitors, but they said that barring something else developing, he may be able to come home again after 48 hours. He has a private room this time which he is happy about but he is not happy to be back in the hospital.

His brother, Frank, had to leave today. Thank you, Frankie, for all your help this week! I have arranged to take next week off at this point but we are really just taking it an hour at a time. I know he has lots of people pulling for him out there, some not too shy to leave a comment, so thank you all. I will try to keep you updated and I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to pound out an entry for you over the next couple of days. Keep a good thought for us.
Dana

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update Dana. You and John are in our thoughts and prayers. Healing, hydration and home...Love to you and your whole family.

    Janice and Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana. Thank you for the update. You and John are always in my thoughts and prayers. I do hope he is able to get home soon. I so feel for him with the mouth being so sore and not wanting to eat or drink because of that. Just know you all are in my heart always...(((HUGS))) Terri Messina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana,
    Wow, what a roller coaster ride you guys are on! Sorry to hear Frank had to leave, but glad to hear that both the boys are in town with you now. We think of you every day and we are sending positive thoughts your way.
    Love always,
    Janet and JIm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,

    Thank you for your continued communications. Though this is"John's blog", I loose sight of the family around him as perhaps, at times I have lost sight of my own. This dose of reality, is as sobering as John's own struggle for life.

    Dana, John, Mike, peace. live well
    John looking forward to hearing you are back home
    love
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, Earl, whaddayou think you are, two ropes? I'm a frayed knot.

    wow...all these years I'm thinking John was the catcher, but bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, Frankie leaps out of the dugout!

    makes me glad I held back all the stupid advice I wanted to blurt out on last post. been in some similar situations a time or two or three...at home with my mother and later a very good friend...and I am more ocd than John, want to see all the chaos organized and a list by the phone of all the possible answers to "what can I do to help?"

    but, you know what? I learn again and again that there are uses for my overactive brain but this isn't one of them. this is one for faith...even just faith that you will have the help you need when you need it but never be able to guess where it will come from.

    well, ok, a time or two during Maurice's recovery I knew it would come from Earl because I was waiting outside his house since sunrise for him to wake up. but now what? we can't bring fireballs to a guy with mucositis.

    we're here, we're listening, we're keeping the faith. doesn't seem like much but hope you are all surrounded in person by assistance wise enough not to be nice about it so you don't have to fall apart.

    and if you are reading this and thinking omg, what can I say, we all know the answer is really nothing but say it anyway. it's not like you can make the coffee online. but we all took in so much from John's writing, I like to let him know there are people out here reading. for what it's worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear this happened! What a scary moment! I am thinking of you all and praying for peace in the midst of all the difficulties and stress. A big hug for all of you!!
    Pati

    ReplyDelete
  7. To go through this for a third time! I just imagine it!Your a better man than I Gunga Din! Try leaving room temp Gatorade bottles all over the house, a constant reminder to hydrate. If the docs allow high calorie shakes, I think Gatorade has a high cal/protein drink available now, it should be tolerable. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new Gatorade is called RECOVER 03 it has per bottle 120 calories 240mg Na, 90mg of K 14 grams of carbs, 16 grams of protein. Ask the Docs first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for keeping us posted D. So glad Frankie was there to break the fall and that y’all have such fast service from the 911 call. Down here in Alabama, when you call 911, you have to go through a long conversation about things like:
    “So, y’all want grits with that delivery?
    “You guys a Bama or Auburn family?”
    “It’s gonna be a lil bit, the driver’s out back shootin a turkey.”
    “The whole team’s busy pickin up drunks at Dega.”

    Dana, I think you’ll just have to let those local Docs know that John’s gotta get back home to blog-up.

    Give Da Man a hug for me and tell him I think I can finally kick his ass in golf, assuming we play while he’s still in the nadir stage.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheesh, made my heart race just reading the blog, I'm with Pat here, feel useless but please know we talk about you every day, I pray every day, Mac does the equivalent. Holding you all in the light, all day every day and have a word before I sleep every night. S'all I can do. Wish there was more. Love, hugs, energy and hope.
    Chrissie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dana, thinking of you and my prayers go out to John, you and the boys, you have a strong man and a fighter at that...his writing unbelievable, enjoy reading his blog...hang in there...hugs

    Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dana,
    I'm sending all my positive thoughts to you and John. I know that he can do it! I'm just so sad to hear the news and know the difficulties you're both going through.
    Love you both tons!
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete