Saturday, April 24, 2010

Oar What?


I remember one time I was in the back of the canoe, paddling through the Great Swamp with Sandy, an old girlfriend from college, and I was looking behind us for some reason. Just as I faced forward, a low-hanging branch swept me from the canoe, and I tumbled backwards into the slow-running water. I came up spluttering and Sandy retrieved me, giggling.

I am equally surprised to find myself still in the hospital on Saturday. I got out of the hospital on Thursday morning, and Stacy was kind enough to retrieve me and bring me to Wavertree. I have been very chilled a lot lately, and figure that chill is just from my challenged metabolism. Stacy comes back with these awesome oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies, which are a little too crisp for me to eat robustly – I can nibble them. I head to bed and wrap up in a pile of blankets. When Dana gets home around 4pm, she adds the electric blanket. She heads to the pharmacy to pick up some meds, and I wander downstairs with a blanket wrapped around me.

I trip over the blanket near the bottom of the stairs, and end up in a jumble on the living room floor. It takes me a long time to get up – I am very weak. I stumble into the family room and fall again. Woody, my dog, is no help. I get up and get on the couch, and Dana takes my temp when she returns, and it is 102.8, She calls the doc, who sends me to the ER. Dana gets Craig next door to help me into the car, ER checks me out and checks me in, and here I remain.

I am alone in this room, just as well since my counts are plunging, as expected from the chemo. Yesterday I was in a funk all day, low-grade fever and no energy, oh woe is me. I feel better today, having gotten my peeing routine down as they flush the chemo with non-stop IVs of saline. I pee every forty-five minutes, whether I have to or not. I saw the Doc last night, and he scheduled an ultrasound, wants a peek into my gut. So no liquids after midnight, and I finally get the ultrasound at 9:30, even thought there is nobody ahead of me,

When I finally get breakfast, the Belgian waffles have been tossed. The mucositis is ramping up, and my lips and inside my mouth are pretty busted up, so I get Rice Krispies for breakfast. It was not as bad as it sounds, I just let them soak in the milk for 5 minutes until they were nice and soggy, and let the coffee cool for half an hour And lo and behold, I have an older style TV in the room, with a lengthier boom but no number pad. It’s not in my face, but to get to channel 72 from channel 4, you hit channel up 68 times. That comment about ‘A Clockwork Orange’ is strange as I just watched that 2 weeks ago for the first time in decades. Is that why I am here?

The Celtics managed a win last night in spite of the refs and Kendrick, so all is well. I hope to be out of here tomorrow. They are continuing to dose me with antibiotics in IVs, and my temp is 97.6, normal for me, I am so cool. Dana and her sisters came by this morning, Barry also, and Dana will come by later to trounce me again in Gin. I keep changing the rules as long as she leaves the Hoyle’s Book of Rules behind, but I am zigging when she is zagging, so ……

Here is a poem Sharon Bray of ‘Writing Through Cancer’ emailed me. She has been a great mentor and supporter through this.


How to Read a Poem: Beginner's Manual
by Pamela Spiro Wagner
First, forget everything you have learned,
that poetry is difficult,
that it cannot be appreciated by the likes of you,
with your high school equivalency diploma,
your steel-tipped boots,
or your white-collar misunderstandings.
Do not assume meanings hidden from you:
the best poems mean what they say and say it.
To read poetry requires only courage
enough to leap from the edge
and trust.
Treat a poem like dirt,
humus rich and heavy from the garden.
Later it will become the fat tomatoes
and golden squash piled high upon your kitchen table.
Poetry demands surrender,
language saying what is true,
doing holy things to the ordinary.
Read just one poem a day.
Someday a book of poems may open in your hands
like a daffodil offering its cup
to the sun.
When you can name five poets
without including Bob Dylan,
when you exceed your quota
and don't even notice,
close this manual.

12 comments:

  1. Hi John! Here's a big hug from the Guapas to warm you up and keep you smiling!! We are thinking of you and Deinita!! Love,
    Pati and Las Guapas

    ReplyDelete
  2. john,

    poetry is alchemy
    words combined
    refracted diluted distilled
    complex radicals
    murky solutions heated
    cooled
    filtered
    and in the final anyalysis
    it is factual,if not unreasonable

    I'm not really sure about that, the above, I am sure

    funny you would mention cards.
    I had been thinking
    the challenging nature
    of the moment
    at hand
    and the hand that you are dealt
    and we have been enticed into this game
    with you if only as virtual players
    but i for one am hooked

    on one of our rare family trips
    I think to
    virginia beach
    through maryland
    we stopped at some nasa outpost
    it was a collection of artifacts of the first monkey in space
    photos,
    a capsule
    I got a patch, NASA
    i sewed onto my work jacket, it's not rocket science,
    I tell the ensuspecting
    but it sure can make my hair stand on end
    i can't quite read the look on the chimps face,
    but he is looking straight at me
    like the mona lisa,
    but not quite as contented

    you set a high bar
    i know your legs wobble
    and your heart may be heavy
    i am sorry for the isolation that you must experience
    and that mucositis, injury to insult
    must be a hard one to swallow

    peace
    gratitude
    love
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. healing, peace, gratitude, love
    healing peace
    love gratitude

    love john's healing
    peace
    gratitude
    love
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey John, you old cosmic-warrior beatnik.
    Just wanted to check in and say hi. I've been thinking healing thoughts for you.
    Thanks for sharing the poems, stories, and thoughts.

    --Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey john is there unlimited space for these comments? I lean more towards storytelling than poemry and I am in a coffee-fueled mood--but I am also happy to see more people talking and don't want to hog it all because I like knowing we chatterboxes are not isolated as much as I like knowing you are not alone...

    I keep thinking of Kevin Gardner in Aldrich science class...for some reason he used to once in a while gracefully spread out his arms and tell me and Mikey Beauchemin, "we're ALL your pals..."
    funny what you remember, especially when your landscape shifts and you start to see somebody else's life flashing before your eyes

    I made a trip to warwick yesterday to visit my old father, your buddy bald Eddie--if you are bored enough I'd like to send the long version,

    meanwhile--glad you will be going home and glad you don't have another valentine in with you. I NEVER got that roomate thing, not in college, hospitals or anywhere. If I ever do a twelve steps of christmas program I will write in to my alumnae magazine and apologize to anybody who got assigned to room with me. I am not there yet, though, because so far all I've got is: I am so sorry for all the times you woke me out of a deep sleep to tell me I snore."
    probably not the spirit I'm ultimately aiming for...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep a goin John. Remember, You Da Man.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey John - Happily heard you were back in the neighborhood and then Patricia told me about your relapse. Doesn't that damn bug know what it's up against???? How many beat-downs are you gonna have to administer to it before it finally throws in the towel? You and I know the answer to that... as many as it takes!!!

    Hang in there, bud, I know the chemos kicking your ass right now but alot of people are sending mega positive thoughts and prayers your way. Pls let Pat and I know how we can help. She'll be over later today to bring you a treat that'll be easy for you to eat. Stay strong and positive and don't let-em see you blink!

    Hugs to you and the family.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mac how are You doing and what country are you in, now? I miss you. my email is the same but yours isn't and I hope it is not because of me (?!) no, it couldn't be. I have relied on your guidance in the past and wonder lately...how inappropriate would it be if we all steered into the skid and said how much this all sucks? fine line between honesty and just honest self-indulgence.
    guess it would also be riding that line to wonder how a heroic figure like Fiore ever collected such a ragtag assortment of karass, but by now it is hard to believe I never actually met you or Manitoboo. you could be made up for all I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Ho Spice - Where's Mac? Is he with Waldo? Is he dancing a wierd dance with Matt in some exotic country?
    So Pat, I have been thinking along the same lines. This sucks, I can't believe it, its not fair and it makes me sad.
    At least we can sit at the blog bar and cry into our blog beer and not worry about being hungover the next morning......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well hot damn y’all, I’m right here. Me an TLW been livin down here in Bama and keepin a low profile. I guess we got all up in our own selves when Roll Tide rolled over the college football world last year. But we got our feet back on the ground now and we’re thankful to be here.

    In all seriousness, I took on a new job gig a couple of months ago and it’s keeping me busier than a possum in a coyote holler.

    I have been watching John’s Holy Cow blog and keeping my fingers crossed for him, Miss D and the boys.

    Pat, I’ll send you an email so we can reconnect on the weboshphere.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  11. No posts since Sat? Hope everything has stabilized! Bill

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes we are all wondering, chemo-sabe; hoping no word means you are resting in some pain-free zone somewhere...
    always the optimist,
    mullaney

    ReplyDelete