Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Calling all WBCs!

Dana here again.

I know they described all this. I know they told us what could, probably would, happen as John went through this process. But somehow as we listened, I think John and I both felt that he would be spared. Not that we thought he'd breeze through, but he had handled everything they'd thrown at him so well, so far.

I came face to face with the reality of this devastating process when I walked into John's room yesterday. He looks gawdawful and he feels worse. He has not been able to even listen to me read your blog comments yet, but I did read him a couple of emails today and will be reading him your comments a few at a time over the next few days. He slips in and out of sleep, mostly drug induced I think. He rallied a bit when young John and I came in and even cracked a couple of jokes. When I asked him if he'd missed me his eyes welled with tears so I am happy to be back and by his side, even if it is just to sit here as he sleeps.

Dr. L. came in today and said he is doing really well. He said he knows it's hard to see that but that he is very happy with how things are progressing. The nurses say he is a good patient and is doing everything he is supposed to be doing, his mouth care, his breathing exercises, etc. We are waiting for engraftment which we thought would happen in 10 to 14 days but Dr. L said today it might be more like day 20. Here is a description of engraftment from the National Marrow Donor website. They explain it better than I could.

Waiting for Engraftment: Days 0-30
After your bone marrow transplant you will have low blood counts. This means that you have fewer than normal numbers of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Over time, the donated cells you received for your transplant start to grow and make new blood cells. This is called engraftment. Engraftment is an important milestone in your transplant recovery.


Infections
Until your donated cells engraft, you will have low counts of all types of blood cells. You will have very few white blood cells to fight infections. This means you can get an infection easily and infections during this time can be serious, even life-threatening. Your transplant team will take steps to protect you from infections. You will be at risk for infection for many months, but the period before engraftment is a time of especially high risk.


For more detail and information I will refer you to the website:

http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Donor_Select_Tx_Process/Waiting_for_Engraftment_Days_0/index.html

So, time to let those WBCs know their vacation is over and they need to head on over, the sooner, the better! I've read in the BMT blogs of others that things start to improve and heal almost immediately once the body starts producing WBCs again.

Young John came back up with me and helped me move our stuff over to the new place. I know his dad was happy to see him. I wish Mike could visit but it is probably better not to have him see his dad this way, it would just upset him. Young John handled it well and was a good support for me. I haven't had a chance to settle in to the new place yet but it will be great to be so close to the hospital now. It is less than ten minutes away.

John's pain is managed for the most part but he is really miserable. He doesn't want guests or phone calls right now. He just wants to get through this in his own "warrior" way. He can't have flowers, he can't eat, he can't read, he can't even get up and read email, so there is very little you can do right now. He would probably appreciate a card or a picture to put up in his room but I can't think of much else. He knows you are all thinking of him and he will get through this. This part is just very hard.

The address to send mail here at the hospital is:

Stanford University Medical Center
Attention: John Fiore Unit E-1
300 Pasteur Drive
Stanford, CA 94305

(And if anyone has any pull with the Red Sox, please feel free to forward his address to them.)

Thank you all for your comments, notes, prayers, and good wishes. They help get us through.

7 comments:

  1. i'm only going to say this ONCE (unless the code has q's or g's in it)

    time to think outside the boxing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,

    Thanks much for the update. We're all thinking of the Fiore family during this difficult time and sending truck loads of WBCs to John.

    John will get this. Tell him each time I hit the golf ball, especially with the driver, I will be thinking the little white ball is packed with leukemia cells and I will be knocking the crap out of those little leukemia bastards and sending them on the ride of their short life. It will give him a good visual experience.

    Dana, please find comfort in the knowledge that, despite our rhetoric out here in the blogosphere, it really is quite obvious to many of us that John is definitely not your normal, run-of-the-mill patient. The guy just has some tools in his tool box that most don’t even know exist. I feel quite certain that he’s using all of them right now.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana,
    Mac is right about John. I cannot claim to know John well – my connection to him is through you. But he does have a great “tool” box, the most important being you! I can only imagine how difficult it is to watch someone you love suffer and not be able to do a damn thing. However, good for John for taking what control he has in the situation and deciding how he wants to journey through this phase. Feeling shitty, looking crappy and smelling bad is not a way most of us want our friends to see us. And he needs his energy stores just to get better. So let the warrior rest and heal his wounds. The blogosphere will be a lonely place without him, but we will hold the fort until his return.
    Love you kiddo!
    lj

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know John is not feeling well if he is following all the rules... He usually pushes the limits! Thank goodness he knows when to knuckle down. It is encouraging that the docs all say what is happening is to be expected and that he is doing well... all things considered.

    Dana you are the best medicine that John could ask for and hopefully you too will be able to block out memories of this phase of the BMT bout.

    An army of WBCs is growing to maturity and ready to surge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John & Dana -

    I think of you guys constantly. What strength you and your family has. I've been reading a lot about this and it is awful hard when the expected outcome becomes a reality. You guys are my hero's.

    Love to all of you. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. there are channels marked by bells and buoys
    beacons on rocky coasts
    and the moonlight
    that dances across the waves
    the wind is here
    though i can't see it
    i feel it though it does not touch me
    birds fly though i can't see them
    i sail on winded waters
    between the islands, beneath the stars
    my heart beats
    the winds have died
    the boat and i drift
    scale like ripples on flat seas
    the sun set quietly
    the boat sails itself
    i watch birds fly
    smell burning leaves
    dogs bark in the distance
    there is a path between the waves
    through the wind
    and some locality unknown to me
    where i shall land

    Dana, thanks for the update. Take care of yourself. John, I look forward to reading your words again.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hay John when u read this with a white count...and I know u will, I am here for you and I KNOW what u are going through so I will visit then and we will curse and laugh and well-you know.. I think despite our short friendship so far our bond will grow through this and I am here for the long run. Anytime 24/7
    My prayer is that God continues to hold him in His arms throughout this as He is right now.
    Love Rich

    ReplyDelete