Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pancakes, Yumm

That's right, pancakes this morning, pretty good! I just wanted to write a short post to correct something I said last post. The doctors do not want my WBC count to steadily increase, they expect it to get to where it is and then fluctuate but with a long-term upward trend. I found this out yesterday when my WBC dropped from 2.9 to 2.7 and started asking more questions. They will only get concerned if it trends downward. I am now on every other day visits to the Cancer Center (henceforth ITA - Infusion Treatment Area), weekends off. Cool.

GOt a package in the mail from Yawkey Way, a Red Sox calendar and program, and a little packet of Fenway dirt. I tried to cut up the dirt and snort some, for power, but it is decomposed granite and doesn't cut well. Thanks to Matt and Marian for pulling this off for me, too bad we couldn't win the ALDS. Looks like the new rule is only 1 championship per year for Boston teams, and the Celtics get '08.

My great friend Mike B has agreed to be my caregiver next weekend, so Dana can go home to SLO and see Mike and John, be home, and especially to see Mikey in a couple of plays he is, 'Wind in the Willows' and 'The Lottery', an odd combo but that's high school theater. So that will be great; she needs a break.

Pancakes this morning reminded me how damaged my nose is, my sense of smell and taste are shot. I could taste the syrup but not really the pancakes. I can taste sweet and salt, but barely. Gatorade is tart. Anyway, I was thinking of this in bed last night and pondering on it, and I wanted to relate a story, but Dana says it is too graphic, or at least needs a warning, so here is your warning: the following is a graphic story of nose clearing.

In the midst of hell, about Day 11 or 12, when my lips were those big masses of black, my nose was also a mass of black. Lying in bed trying to breathe through the mucus-laden mouth or the clogged nose was difficult. I started testing opening my nostrils wider with my fingers and discovered the tunnels were clear, I just had these clots covering the openings. The nurses all had told me not to blow my nose or I might start a nosebleed, and that wouldn't be good with no platelets. But they didn't say I couldn't undergo mining operations and clear the nasal passages.

So I carefully and meticulously removed the clots covering my nasal openings, stopped the minor resultant bleeding, and all seemed well except my nose kept collapsing on itself, the way a camel's does, closing the opening. I thought of BreatheRight Nasal Strips, and took some tape and jury-rigged my nose to stay open. Much to my delight, that lasted until the next afternoon. We bought some Nasal Strips and I started clearing my nose and using those every night, guaranteeing free air passage through at least one passage. They worked great, except for distorting my nose by noon the next day. I think this helped me heal faster.

I also discovered how beautiful everyone's eyes are. We spend very little time looking deep or long at someone's eyes, they are always flitting about, and we attach too much social significance to staring into someone's eyes. When nurses are working on your IV lines, they are often right near your face, and you can study their eyes, which I sometimes did. I discovered such a variety of colors, blues, yellows, brown, greens, all mesmerizing. Dana's blue eyes are like diamonds, with sparkling gold flecks throughout, beautiful. I bet staring into her eyes is what has me mesmerized, with her melodic voice.

12 comments:

  1. John Da Man,

    So, so glad to hear you’re getting back to some degree of normalcy, e.g. pancakes.

    The nose story is snot quite as bad your warning implied.

    I have a sneaky suspicion that snorting dirt is snot something your Docs would be in support of.

    Keep hanging in there John.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gorgeous!
    Not quite Bruce Willis again yet but getting close! So glad the black lips are gone for D's sake. Wouldn't be too cool for making out!
    Mac is a road warrior again, gone all week returning at the weekend. A great deal of our conversation revolves around your return to good health so we appreciate the medical details; e.g.The fluctuating WCB's.
    It was good to hear the strength in your voice, if only in the background, last week.
    In our hearts and thoughts, always.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    Yeah, the eyes have it. Though I have noticed how soft some hands look, where mine seem so industrial.
    But, I gotta say lips... I once had blood drawn by a women that had the most beautiful, full, luscious, blood red, LIPS. I was drained, I felt week in my knees, and I got no juice, no cookies.
    I really got to hand it to you John, as Pat would tell you I sure do get a kick out of the home handy man, hands on approach, to some thing as simple as clogged air ducts. To go where no man has gone before, or dared to talk about. Hats off.
    It takes a special kind of man. You are him.
    Thanks for the written words.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh maaaaaaaan
    I know I'm here to learn and I always learn something here; but to think I could have saved Mo, Jeanne and any other roommates years of listening to my snoring with only a roll of duct tape. what a maroon.

    not to mention all the gizmos we DON'T need--no more fortune telling with playing cards and forget the Iching, runes and tarot; we are totally into this word verification system of divination now. do computers learn to talk to us, like ET and Flipper?the thing is spelling actual words now.

    "questing"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo!,
    This is Dave Prieto, jazz guitarist. I love the video of our Stanford gig last summer. Leon and I will be performing again with our quartet this coming November 7 at noon. Please come by with your camera and say hello. I am gland to see that you are hanging in. Stay strong and be well.-Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I am missing out on this whole word verification since I am already logged in. Maybe I am still in question? Maybe I'll check anonymous and see what I get.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got nothing, it dissed me and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok guess you'll have to stick to the magic 8 ball

    it is definitely so

    ReplyDelete
  9. John,

    from the archives where discomfort was only a state of mind

    a man
    not a bird
    not a wind
    a man disposed of his senses
    the fugitive of his dreams
    losing sight of his shadow
    falls easy prey to loneliness
    it is not the solitude of his flight
    there are songs on the wind that lift his heart
    but the aching in his muscles
    like rising heat distorts his vision

    hylityr word verification of the day

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guapo,
    I'm glad you discovered what beautiful eyes and voice Deinita has! She is a beauty!!
    You are all a very handsome bunch!
    When your tastebuds come back better, I'll make you some empanadas!
    Hugs,
    Pati

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheman!
    I've noticed how more often than not there does appear to be a logical arrangement of letters.
    So! Blogman? Wassup? Wherearya?
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  12. staing:

    staing power,
    staing strong!

    keep up the good work!

    xo
    m

    ReplyDelete