Thursday, October 23, 2008

Inquiring minds

All these questions, sheesh. I struggle with this stuff too, but I get to ask the docs. Here is how things have happened:


On day Zero (September 30) I got the transfusion with Lisa's marrow cells. My WBCs were on the decline at that time. I was in the hospital and starting to get sick. The effects of the irradiation and the chemo had started to hit, and the old marrow was dying. WBC went to 0.1 (homeless WBCs hiding under trestles). Mucositis set in, we wrung our hands, but then on day 10 my WBC showed a tiny spark and went to 0.2. Engraftment of the new marrow had taken hold a little, and pumped out a few WBCs.

The WBCs steadily but slowly rose, slowed by the immunosuppressant FK506 so that no GVHD would start. On day 19 my WBCs showed a pretty solid jump from 0.7 to 1.3 and I took that to mean the engraftment was solid and we were out of the woods. However, the mucositis had taken its toll and my mouth and tongue and lips were ravaged. I was on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) through the IV, like a big bag of chicken broth, and that was all my liquid and food until day 20.

My mouth has mostly recovered. The last 2 days in the hospital I drank Ensure and tried to eat, but wasn't ready for solids. You had to take in 3000 ml a day before they'd let you go, but I think they cut me some slack since I was trying. The last of the black lips fell off 3 days ago, but I still have a few lacerations on my tongue and inside my cheeks.
Now, I'm slowly adding solid foods. I had cream of wheat and scrambled eggs for breakfast, with tea, gatorade, then, a tuna and non-dairy cheese sandwich for lunch with a non-dairy milk shake. I'll probably have whatever the SuperCareGiver whips up for dinner (soup?).
We are settling in to this phase. Today was typical of our new routine. We left here at 9:40 this am for my 10am appointment at the Cancer Center. I am mask-free here in the apartment, and in the car if the windows are up, and in the rooms of the Infusion Treatment Area (ITA) in the Cancer Center as it is HEPA filtered. I do have to wear the mask in the waiting room. I sat around and read the paper and got into the ITA at 10:30.

The ITA rooms hold about 6 patients in a common room, separated by curtains. You can have guests. They draw my blood tests and check me out. You sit in a recliner and have your own TV. I read. Once a week I get a chest X-Ray. Once my blood tests come back in an hour or two, they give me whatever they need to (potassium, magnesium, blood), hook my fanny pack IV up with a new load of FK506, give me new batteries, ask me for my list of everything I ate and drank, then away I go. Today was unusual because they reduced my FK506 dose to an amount they can handle with pills, so I was liberated from the fanny pack, no tubes, for now.

I call Dana's cell when I'm finished and she is there in 5 minutes. We left there today at 12:00. I put on my mask and walked out to meet her, got in the car, took off my mask, we make out, and then we went to the grocery store. I have to wear the mask in the store. I have a brand new gut, so I am off coffee for now and maybe for good. Bland diet. I shopped in the baby food aisle today but didn't buy any. We bought puddings, teas, lactose-free dairy, eggs, sorbets and Sprite. My digestive system is like a kid's, and I will coddle it along until my mouth finishes healing.

Today my WBC is 2.9. Normal is 4.0-11.0. The docs are looking for a steady slow rise in WBCs, not like last time. They do not want the WBCs to jump and decide to go attack my liver or anything else, so slow and steady she goes. My total neutrophil count yesterday was 1.84, above the minimum, meaning I am not neutropenic (immune deficient), but the rules are different for BMT patients, so the mask and dietary rules apply regardless.




Here is the latest photo, with another one I took in the depths of hell (10/12), for comparison.


12 comments:

  1. Ah! The handsome John is coming back. I guess you will have to wear a halloween costume after all.
    Thanks for answering my questions. I am fascinated by all this stuff. Probably should have gone into nursing instead of accounting. Glad to hear life is getting better, slow but sure!
    (My word verification is ratorost - sounds like a menu addition for the homeless)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, you look great! I'm glad you're looking and feeling so much better. Are the doctors testing periodically for leukemia cells, or are they all gone already? I know the new WBCs should attack any left over in your system - just wondering if they're on the warpath yet.
    (PS My word verification is dontstop, sounds like good advice).

    ReplyDelete
  3. John.

    Good to see you and hear you again, that dictator thing was a little unsettling, but thanks for making your voice heard.

    I saw a small fox this morning
    two red dots in the distance
    a small fox up close
    a smaller still rabbit in its mouth
    the struggle over
    now just a walk in the park, for the fox
    only the danger of the road traffic
    early before the sun fully rises

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. cinglI kept waiting for a good verification word but I guess reforn is all I'm getting (I disconnected when it was tyssn no word of a lie)
    so, do I get this right, you horndog, you have to make out before you go to the grocery store?
    lisa f, are all you twins like this?
    oh my god, I heard from Dana's update that you made it to the library!
    DO NOT tell me the prelude to that.
    did you get anything? BOOKS I mean.
    I just read City of Refuge, a first novel by n'orleans music writer Tom Piazza. no pun intended since it is about two families living through Katrina but it blew me away.
    and made me think a little more compassionately about survivors of all kinds and once you find out you are alive, how--the many and varied ways how--you find your displaced self in some other life and figure out how to live there.
    nothing you need, my crocodile crossing friend, but I'm saying these characters didn't have cars to make out in...
    I dragged my head up to watch a little of an old movie w/Mo, Anthony Hopkins in The Shadowlands and heard the line "we read to feel we are not alone"
    so what could I do but email this poor author who probably writes because he is NOT a talk show host, and thank him for the book.
    he said most writers probably write because they had a moment reading where they felt exactly that.
    ok
    I know you wish I could talk to you all day but I am out of coffee and not re-forned like you.
    take it easy there, killer, don't get anybody pregnant in the baby food aisle
    and call me psychic if you will but I predict that you being the trendsetter that you are, by the end of this week everybody will start wearing masks...

    oh-s*** reforned didn't work and now I am
    cingle (i know, i know, no wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have dropped a blog thread...what's with the strange words? Obviously toosimple forme.

    What can you eat John? Sounds like no dairy, are there other restrictions as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless your Bald Bean, John, you are one tough nut!!!
    Glad to hear that you are on teh mend! You are a remarkable man and powerful inspiration to us all.
    Love and Prayers from the State o Maine
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Typos are funny, I do teh for the all the time, and double caps a lot (i.e. PPat). Pian in the as to have cut all those typing classes in high school.

    No testing for leukemia cells, but I think I'll ask today what is in store. And, no dairy, no fresh fruit or veg that don't have a big rind (banana, orange OK but have to be peeled by Dana), no take-out or bakery, i.e. processed foods only.

    I got DVDs at the library, because I brought a stack of books with me. I am trying to catch up on the 'Lost' series. Just finished reading 'All the Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy, very beautiful book, kind of tough read with the language transitions. I just started 'Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' by Bill Bryson. Looks pretty entertaining.

    Mo, if you and Pat aren't trying to publish your stuff, you need a smack in the head. I am calling big Earl. Donald is in RI, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yo
    if Donald is in the house then Big E should have plenty of time to talk to you--because he will have Donald staining the deck, building a house or whatever Tom Sawyer job of the day is on his list.
    And to Donald, this will be a vacation.
    my favorite was the day we sent my brother Timmy over there to get bee spray and he comes back like four hours later because Earl needed him and Donald (a lawyer and doctor) to set up a swing set.
    I miss Earl--haven't seen him since the day we took over the Celestial Cafe ('nother story-ask him)

    have often thought that if Mo and I (or any couple) started emailing each other there might be a book in THAT. plus, who knows? we might get to know one another.

    estol,
    pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. John,

    You're looking more and more like me these days.

    Hey, good luck with the baby food thing. I hear some a that stuff is smokin.

    I can feel all those WBCs generating their stuff all the way down here. Keep up the good work buddy.

    Go Phillies and Roll Tide.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Pat, I'd say it's more of a Fiore thing than just a Fiore twin thing.

    Kisses to all of you in the How Cow blogosphere,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Big John- Patricia and I have been keeping up with your blogs and continue to be inspired by your strength of will and elated with your progress! Can't wait to see you back in SLO town, we're convinced it's just a matter of time. Maybe they'll let you home a little early for Christmas for good behavior - though it might be a bit out of character for you.

    We're watching out on the house and going to only the best parties that John throws. Gotta use some discretion....

    You continue to be in our prayers, Big Guy. Get back here soon! The neighborhood's looking a little too respectable without you...

    Bruce and Patricia

    ReplyDelete