Monday, November 10, 2008

Just the facts, ma'am


Day 41 and chugging along. The dang mucositis persists, this filmy thing in my mouth like I drank too much milk. And the sore spots on my tongue aren't healing. I even had the dry heaves the other day, right out of the blue. I was just trying to spit out this bubbly mass from my mouth. Dana implored me to 'Make it to the toilet! The sink can't handle chunks!' Caregiver AND cheerleader! It was all air, so it didn't matter. I suppose this could be gvhd and I may have to live with it for a while.

My WBCs were at 7.4 on Saturday, and absolute neutrophil at 5.49, so the marrow is rocking. I just have to avoid any infections for another 59 days and not trigger gvhd (unless I already have). I could still use a few more red cells, a little anemic, but I think the drugs are hammering my metabolism more than anything else. I am always cold. Chills run through me non-stop; there is one running up and down my spine right now. I sit on the couch with a big faux fur cover on, and a soft hat, and I am alright.

This really all starts with Prograf or FK506, which is the immunosuppressant they give me to manage acceptance of the new marrow versus infection versus gvhd. It has many bad side effects - it damages the kidneys, causes headaches, raises your blood pressure, makes you prone to infections, burns up magnesium and potassium, causes acid reflux (as if I needed help there) and generally kicks your ass.

Here are the drugs I am on now:
Prograf, 6mg / day now
Actigall, to prevent kidney damage
Acyclovir to prevent infection
Norvasc to lower blood pressure
Diflucan to fight fungal infections
Potassium
Magnesium
Nexium for acid reflux
It's no wonder I don't feel great. But hey, it's day 41 and we're chugging along.

Dana and I went to writing class last Wed., and I suffered through three hours with the hepa mask on. This time there was another male in class, and 12 women. One assignment the teacher handed out sea shells, nice ones, and told us to write something. Every woman wrote about the shells in some way. The other guy wrote about a fishing adventure with his Dad and uncle, and I wrote about giant waves that creamed us at Point Judith. Huh.

We also had this exercise of doing alpha poems, where the first letter of each line spells something, like this:

Must be an easier way,
Using my body, making this a
Cause celebre, like some
Oversexed hotel heir with bulimia.
Still I regret ever hearing of cancer.
In no way do I deserve this, this
Treatment of my body;
I am not a
Septic system.

Which of course spells mucositis.

Feeling some pain, I push the button.

Every push brings some relief, a
Narcotic surge
Takes hold of me, just for
A little while,
Not for long,
Yet
Lucidity escapes me for days.

So you crazy blog readers, you can do better than that, let's see what you can do with this alpha poemery.

Yesterday we went to see the Papua New Guinea Sculpture Garden, right here on the Stanford campus. In '94 ten sculptors from New Guinea came to visit for six months, and created this garden. Dana stumbled upon it on a long walk. Unfortunately her camera battery was dead, but I found these pics. There is actually a rock sculpture of the Gates of Hell - I'll get a pic of that when we go back.



11 comments:

  1. holy cow, good to see you back on!
    it's been a quiet week in lake Mobegone here...
    don't know if my brain goes to this alpha male poemery thing but looking forward to learning some new spelling words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Return me to
    Easier
    Times free of the
    Unknown
    Return me to
    Normal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roaring obscenities
    Engulfing the temple
    Coverting the senses
    One day at a time
    Vigils of loved ones
    Enduring the pain
    Rituals and pleadings
    Yearning for light

    So wish you were more comfortable but so grateful you are alive. I hope it gets a little better each day.
    Love you guys.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you enighten me on the gvhd?
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, where is Moe?
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissie honey--you think I know? he only talks to John!
    but I am sure he will tune in when I tell him you and Lisa M have the big head start on him--wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sh. I might have gone regional again--CHRISSIE in Rhode Island wicked means "wicked good"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waiting
    Inside
    Cars
    Kissing
    Enjoying
    Dana
    Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. John,
    We were down in Chico on dental business yesterday. We took our Lab Nesta for a short walk on the old railroad grade that once was for trains, is now paved and is a very nice and tranquil bike and walking path through town. We came across a young man like yourself, whom in both our opinions looked like just like you, same face, same size etc. He passed us by but with the same genuine smile and grin that you have. It just seemed so ironic and cool to me. In telling you this little true story it is our hopes that you will be able to reuturn to your home in SLO soon, healthy, happy and Have a long fulfillng life ahead.
    Maybe seeing your "twin" was just all Deja Vous! All the best

    ReplyDelete
  10. When WBCs prevail
    Enjoying their new digs
    Loving the host around them
    One makes another
    Vivid realization of
    Each brave step you take to
    Your truly heroic journey
    Over this unfortunate path
    Under the most trying conditions

    You Da Man John.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete