Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Historic Day

Today we select a new President, handing that person an enormous job, an enormous mess. I admit that I thought our country thrived under Clinton, when everyone had jobs and spending money, and the redistribution of wealth he created drove us to a surplus. There was a small blurb buried on page 5 in the paper the other day that the major economies of the world had constricted wealth in a smaller population, and showed we were now just ahead of Mexico and Turkey in terms of wealth distribution. 38% of US wealth held by 1% of the people. It always seemed to me that a volunteer military does better if there is a bigger pool of uneducated people with little opportunity and no money.

What is really bothering me is that Erica, a fellow journeyer through the ALL nightmare, has relapsed after her BMT failed. She has been through all the hells I have and a few more, and no she is out of options. It seems very unfair that a young, healthy woman with a great attitude and fighting spirit and massive support group should be treated this way. Someone tell me, what sort of God is this? Why her? And then I remember a post I wrote way back in March '05 where I asked that question. Why me? And the only answer is, why not me. There is a huge luck factor in getting through this.

My luck continues. My WBCs yesterday were at 5.5, normal range is 4-11. I am still low on reds and platelets, but all are rising. My kidney is under assault by Prograf (FK506), so we lowered that dose and I am drinking 3 liters/day. The mouth is still cut up a little bit so I watch what I eat.

Dana is back, over her cold, and taking good care of me. She made us walk to City Hall yesterday to vote, and it was raining, waaaaahhh. She is making pancakes and bacon right now, yummy, I will have to be careful with the bacon. I need to commit an hour a day to exercise. Right now I look like an elementary school kid drew a picture of me, a big circle and some lines. I would like to surf and golf again, even badly. Red blood cells would help and we're almost there.

My thoughts and prayers are with Erica this week, and with the poor guy that wins the election.

7 comments:

  1. john,

    the zenith of the bridge
    rising above the trees
    resting boats stored
    for the winter
    in the foreground
    and the rush of traffic
    a constant wave
    rising above the damp stillness around me
    heavy and overcast

    "not many answers to be found
    with mysteries so profound"
    Bruce Cockburn singer/ songwriter

    "You can be in my dream
    if I can be in your dream"
    Bob Dylan

    "there are no words
    where the winds don't blow"
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg
    are you watching this? more people are pouring into Grant Park than went to Woodstock
    your white cells are returning home
    historic day was a good title

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Very nice to hear of your continued positive progress. Not so nice to hear about Erica’s setback. Our best wishes for her.

    “My” team did not win the election. Nevertheless, I support our new leader and hope he cuts new paths that will lead us to greatness.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I know how it feels to be the other team, but no matter your affiliation, gotta be heartening to see people dancing in the streets and feeling like there is hope and maybe even a few reasons to stick together on the long road ahead.

    luckily Mac, you still have the Phillies and the Fiores!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pat. And let us not forget the Crimson Tide at #1 in the country at the moment.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have many reasons to be grateful today! WBCs, a new president elect, an adoring husband, amazing friends and a roof going on the retirement home in Nica.
    Regardless of political affiliation - it's inspiring to see Americans who actually give a darn.
    Let's hope for continued progress for ALL.

    ReplyDelete