Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hope is the thing

Hope by Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
_________________
I hope we don’t destroy the planet before my great-grandchildren get a chance to fix it.
I hope Obama can get us straightened out.
I hope my dog is getting walked.
I hope this mucositis goes away soon.

What is hope? Pondering this, I’ve come to some conclusions. Hope is more than optimism; it includes a reasonable expectation for a good outcome. Hope is what we have when we can only influence an outcome in a limited way, or not at all. Hope can and will change form given new information. If circumstances grow more dire, we hope for more specific outcomes – maybe we were hoping to be out of the hospital in a week, but now a setback has us just hoping that the new chemo is effective against our cancer. If all else fails, we hope for a miracle, probably a false hope.

Leading up to the recent presidential election, many of us hoped that Obama would win. Now that he has won, we expand our hope to include everything wrong in the USA, and then everything wrong in the world. He seems like a global figure, and I have always hoped that someday we would recognize that earth is the gift from God to us, and this is what we should worship, and we need someone to lead us to this conclusion. Hope springs eternal. “Yet, never in extremity, it asked a crumb of me.”

I feel very hopeful in a much broader sense than I did a month ago, hopeful for myself and for everyone else.

11 comments:

  1. They say that hope springs eternal and hope can set you free. We are told there is not a hope in hell and warned not to get our hopes up, yet we hope against hope. There is always hope. Cross my heart and hope to die. Where do you pin your hopes? Maybe on your hopechest? Can we keep hope alive? Let’s hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope is a wonderful and peaceful calm feeling knowing that if we are good and trying our best, there must be a lot of good people and things around us and a lot of hope and good things still to come in our lives and in this big world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister once made a tombstone for me that said "Lisa died Hopelessly in Hope". We were on our summer vacation in Hope, ID and we were shooting a movie where I was buried in the sand at the shore, tombstone at my head, then.....ahhhh the plot thickens....do you see it coming......YES, I come back to life, jump up out of the sand and chase the filmmaker.... Unfortnately, or maybe fortunately, we did not know how to load the film in the camera so there is,thankfully, no incriminating evidence of my demise and resurrection.
    Yeah, yeah, you were probably hoping for some philosophical comments on Hope, but consider the source. One might hope that I quit this silly rant, so I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mac you outdid even yourself on the alpha bit. how can this guy doubt the inevitability of miracles after studying the probability of finding this many geniuses at one virtual bar?!

    I went looking for hope quotes, lotta blessings in disguise type bla bla bla out there--but I like this by Oscar Wilde:

    “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Pat, you always know how to reach me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes a constriction like an alpha poem gets the creative juices flowing, and I love what you all did, and I especially love you too Mac. Here at the coast, when I lie in the gutter I see the marine layer overhead, but I hope the stars are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stars are still there John. They're shining down on you and giving you light and energy and optimism and WBCs and, yes, hope.

    You move me John.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright, put down that affectionate tone and back away from the keyboard slowly. I'm gonna need to see some ID. What have you done with Mac? The only kind of moving we'd be expecting from him would be in the order of a daily constitutional. You OK, buddy?
    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahaha, Lisa, I loved your sister story! Too bad the film wasn't loaded. That'd be fun to see. Are you going to be in SLO over Thanksgiving? I'd love to see you!

    Kudos to all you poets and thinkers out there. But Chrissie's right, where's Mo? We await your poetic waxings.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. is anybody besides me wondering if Bubba has MO?
    that killjoy who should be out calling hawgs might be trying to deprogram our favorite drifter!!!!!

    Mac don't YOU listen to Bubba!!!
    reason John won all the games is speed doesn't count when you need strategy--same why I can't make the message spell a word--

    BUT if I COULD I'd say your message left a song stuck in my head for days, but only Lisa could make use of
    YOUMAKEMYHEARTSING

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would
    I
    Love to
    Dance
    This
    Holy cow
    Inspired
    Newer version of the Belmont
    Gone wild 'bama stomp

    ReplyDelete