Sunday, July 13, 2008

Book II - Road to BMT


As you may know Dana and Mike are running the Nike half-marathon and helping Team-in-Training raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The TNT team made me an honored teammate, and in my bio for the team I wrote the following

"However, one thing that will remain with probably every cancer warrior is the thought that this is not the end of it. And in many if not most cases, it isn’t. The cancer will return, or another type of cancer will return. Every chemo treatment you get has a potential side effect of causing cancer. Every day at some moment I ask myself, is it back, how do I feel? If I get a nosebleed I go get a blood test. I read about that 11 year-old girl in Pismo that recently died of ALL, after a 5-year remission, and it saddened me that she wasn’t as lucky as I, and that we hadn’t yet found a cure that worked for her.

So that is why what all of you (TNT members) are doing is so important. When I was in Stanford, I was the lucky person that comes through once a year and doesn’t really get sick, from disease or chemo. I went on long walks 3 times/day, and I always went through the Children’s Hospital to the rooftop garden. The kids looked so sick, and all I could think was how difficult it must be for them and their families to go through this. The treatment that some research team is going to come up with will save some lives, maybe mine, maybe some little kid’s and his family's lives. I know it would destroy me to have to bury one of my children. "
That was an emotional plea, and it has come home to roost. Tomorrow I am going back to Stanford to begin the process for a bone marrow transplant. The leukemia is back.

About 3 weeks ago I started having serious acid reflux attacks, enough to put me in the ER ruling out heart attacks. This led to some testing of my gallbladder, and finally they removed my gallbladder July 5th. I met with the surgeon 5 days later, and he told me to call my oncologist, the biopsy showed lymphoblastic cells in the gallbladder, i.e. the leukemia had returned (or something equally nasty). I met with Dr. Spillane the next day, and he said get ready, we're going back to Stanford next week. . He did a bone marrow biopsy the next day, and now it is Sunday. He reassured me that this was going to work out fine, his most recent patient just had it done six months ago and is doing fine.

Barring any new development I am gearing up to go to Stanford tomorrow. I have lots of questions and no answers yet, predominantly "If we haven't identified a donor yet, why would we start the Induction Phase?" The Induction Phase is much like last time, 2-4 weeks of high-dose chemo to shut everything down, then presumably a bone marrow transplant from one of my siblings that starts it all out clean. There is a method to it all and I just am in high anxiety sorting it out.

I think subconsciously I knew this was coming. I had been prepping my office for the demise of me, but I thought it was so I could golf more. I reorganized my home desk, changed a lot of bills to auto-pay, and updated a lot of financial info so Dana would understand it.

So, I get to retire again, and have a more carefully planned visit to Stanford. Needless to say, Dana is a pillar of strength and composure. We had our cry and now must move on. The blog gets reactivated and the hair goes away again. The prognosis is that I go through the process again and Iʼll be fine. Iʼll let you know more as I learn more
.

5 comments:

  1. Shit.

    My friend, Curt, will be there too. Crazy.

    My good thoughts are always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Da Man,
    I'm so very sorry to hear this news about those little bastards finding a loophole in your system. We have every reason to believe that you’ll set records up there, walking more than ever, amazing everyone with your ability to go through this with extraordinary courage and tenacity.
    My thoughts are with you my friend.
    Give em hell.
    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana and John,

    I was always so happy when I would check your blog and find out that you were still doing great...I am sorry for the relapse...I know it must be a very difficult time for you all and my thoughts and prayers are with you always.

    Please know all the WWWC gals send their thoughts and prayers to you also...

    Dana, it's always great to have a strong person in your corner...I'm glad John has you...(((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey John
    You know I missed out on the whole cheerleading thing when I was in highschool - It never appealed to me. But now I find I want to put on one of those little outfits, grab some pom poms and jump around outside your room yelling Go! GO! GO! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! (Nothing Kinky Dana - please don't worry!) If you're feelin sick right now it might not be the drugs and anxiety, but the thought of me in a cheerleading outfit...I'm actually feeling a little ill myself thinking about it... Anyway, I am so sorry that you have to reactivate the blog. We'll all be out her pulling for you. And I plan on taking Deb G's advice and registering my bone marrow. Standing by if you need anything at all- do not hesitate to call!
    Lisa in SB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the gastronomically pleasing meals are a welcome distraction, and Bruce says to hurry and get well so he can win his money back!

    We miss you Bud-

    Bruce, Pat & Lucky

    ReplyDelete