Thursday, July 31, 2008

Let's Face it





Sometimes I see tourists at Morro Rock in Morro Bay and they actually get out of their car to throw away their fast food wrapper into the gull food dispenser and trash disbursement unit. Occasionally they will be so venturesome as to approach the water and take a picture, usually of a ground squirrel. I like to approach these people and see if I can get them to line up their faces with the Big Face on BirdShit Rock and trust me with their camera. I got George to do it with a friend here. Everyone should do it. I think I got 5 people once. I always wanted to have a big concert event at the Rock, Rock at the Rock, and show surf movies on the Rock. I didn't get it done.



I wonder if there are places on this earth that are channels of healing energy. The Salinan and Chumash Indians have been using the Rock in their ceremonies for many years, and I may have found some spots here at Stanford. If you look at this Google Earth shot looking down at The Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, 200' from my room, you can see that the hospital has an open center with terraces and gardens from each floor. There is a fountain in the center of the first floor, and then more gardens off each floor. The shadows in this pic do not help - the first floor garden is half in shade. If you Google Earth these coordinates you can zoom around it better.

These small gardens create little private places where families can go and work with the universal forces they need to help bring them to completion and if not harmony, the power to go on; plants and water fountains help them stay connected to the life forces they are clinging to. And here is my point - That cement walkway that circumnavigates the very top layer of the hospital is the rooftop garden. I read there every day. You can only access it from a certain elevator and with a secret code that never changes and they will give any patient. The elevator closes at about 6pm, so if I go at 5:45 I have my own rooftop garden, sunsets, views, yell at the sky, pound my chest, but most of all I soak in all the hope and healing energy I can that is emanating up through all the floors of that hospital and those gardens below me. At least I can think that.


There are so many people helping us get through this time and space, and we appreciate all that has been offered and done, so much help from our neighbors the Kaspians and the Campbells, watching over the Fiore lads in their susceptible times. It really helps us deal with the stresses of dealing with the medical side.













This is a reunion Dana and I stumbled on, of 20 year Bone Marrow Transplant recipient/donors. It felt so hopeful!


Nick Blozan came to visit yesterday, here he is at Rodin's Gates of Hell, and looking like he just escaped! We had such a different visit than in '05. I think I was pretty sick then, and this time we were trying to figure out how to get 9 holes in on Tiger Woods' college course. The second pic we are at the Arizona Cactus Garden, in front of this giant gnarly cactus that could guard the gates of hell. The Arizona Cactus Garden is also a special healing spot on this earth, with these plants that can thrive on so little and yet offer so much protection.

We walked all around, and went to the California Cafe for an appetizer, had a great time. Nick has been like a brother to me since the day I met him, and was integral in teaching my kids the finer points of machismo cussing, emphasis, and timing. I had a large collection of Championship Softball t-shirts in large part because of Nick's ability to get people to get it done, and not look to see if you were bleeding after you got drilled by a 120mph 'soft'ball in the shin. If I threw a walk, I would hear him at shortstop - 'Would you just pull your head out??'. Love that guy. I posted his kid's pics earlier, so I need a pic of his wife Dyan so you can see how his kids ended up good-looking.

I remember the faces I had, like pictures that hang on the walls of my house, and then I am mildly shocked to find the mirror with today's face. I was organizing photos and getting hung up on the faces and remembering the aspects of joy from some of them. When I was rooted to the center of the universe through Willie Mays' chair in the Bing Dining Room, I felt I was connected to all time, that the universe was made of arteries and veins and synapses, that all these faces we had we still have, somewhere.

I am a great believer in the great cosmic soup, and a great wonderer of who made the soup. I've said before, I cannot fathom the incomprehensible, even using the other 95% of my brain, so instead I give you these faces old and new.

This is my Mom and Dad.


This is Patience, granddaughter of Mike and Sue, sweet and smart and loving life.





This is my Dad and my sister Lisa looking fabulous.

This is me at 24, before steroids.

I am waiting for the chowderhead clan to come visit, they should be here in an hour, and we are cruising campus. The new day nurse tried to lay out how I had to check in every hour, and I went over my rules with her, gave her my cell phone and pointed out how I am healthier than she is except for leukemia pain in the ass, and she was very pleasant and could see I would be no trouble if she couldn't see me. So today we really extend the borders and cruise Stanford Campus, and myabe actually find the golf course for some putting. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hey John,

    Deep, deep thoughts there. I know what you mean about the wonder of healing places. I think there are places on earth that have such powers. A couple of things come to mind for me.

    TLW and I were with some friends about 2 years ago, when we visited the Mesa Verde National Park, where we walked through the ancient cliff dwellings of the Pueblo people. I can’t explain the feeling that swept over me as we walked around there. I just felt something very special, almost spiritual about its former (but maybe not) inhabitants. From what little I know about the American Native populations, they believed that all of life was sacred; they and the land were one, or somehow connected.

    And where we have our retirement property near the Hood Canal in Washington state, the road (Beach Road) that leads up to the golf course from near the water is a very steep switchback that’s incredibly canopied with these mystical, towering 80-120 foot Douglas Fir trees. To walk that road is truly a special experience. You feel like you’re totally inconsequential to the greatness of those beastly trees. Yet, there’s a feeling that they’re trying to envelop you and keep you whole somehow. Maybe they’re the vegetables in that cosmic bowl of soup you talked about. I hope you and I get to walk that hill together some day John. I’ll be out there for about 10 days of golfing in two weeks from now and I’ll try to get some good shots of the walk on Beach Road for you.

    I’m glad you and Nick had a good visit yesterday.

    And hey, pretty buff shot of you at the age of 24. Be careful, you’ll have the Paris Hiltons of Stanford looking for your room.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubba hubba, shagadelic baby!
    Makes me want to send you a photo of my chest when I was that age….Oh yeah, I didn’t have one then either.

    In three weeks I will return to Hope, Idaho. It is my cosmic healing place. Ask Dana if she remembers the hike out on the Hope peninsula. There in the middle of the forest are the graves of Same and Nina Owen. You can get a feeling for the area at:

    http://sandpoint.onethousandthingstodo.com/2008/05/26/a-very-grave-walk-the-sam-owen-trail-4/

    Right before you come upon their gravesites there is an area known as cosmic rocks. People have written poems and bits of wisdom on the rocks. At one time I had memorized my favorite, but now I can no longer recall it. I hope it is still visible when I am up there in a couple of weeks. I want to add one from Emily Dickenson:

    Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune without the words,
    And never stops at all,

    And sweetest in the gale is heard;
    And sore must be the storm
    That could abash the little bird
    That kept so many warm.

    I've heard it in the chilliest land
    And on the strangest sea;
    Yet, never, in extremity,
    It asked a crumb of me.
    -Emily Dickenson

    ReplyDelete