Friday, July 25, 2008

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Outside my window is this barren space of decomposed granite. To the left is a walkway down to ground floor and an employee entrance. So when I sit in my window reading spot I can watch people come and go, but my landscaping really needs help. I need a shrubbery! Someone bring me a shrubbery! I am thinking a 10' Japanese red maple maybe, in a 5 gal. tub, maybe with some flowers planted at the base. Or a nice Jacaranda, or something that would attract birds. If I can get Dana to go get something from the local nursery I don't think anyone would notice if I just plopped it outside my window. I'll go out to the garage not 100' away and get it out of the car and bring it down. Maybe some gardener would come along and figure it was supposed to get planted there. In the worst case I will prune it way back and bring it home.

I wrote this letter to the editor of the Tribune 0n July 4th. This was in response to some man that had suggested we'd be better off if we went back to the time when it was a crime to criticize the government, because we were engaged in war (WWI) then as now. See http://www.sanluisobispo.com/182/story/408612.html, but I'll quote myself here:


John Canaday (Letters, July 3) longs for a return to the time when it was a crime to criticize the president. He can have his brand of patriotism today, in North Korea. In America, a true patriot loves our country and has the courage to speak out against injustice and attacks on our American Constitution.
When our government, sworn to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States,” instead did the exact opposite over the last seven years, the patriots in this country spoke out against those abuses and continue to do so.
Others choose to wrap themselves in flags and lapel pins and not consider the criminal actions of the current administration and the long-term damage to our country. Had they thought it through they’d realize that to be a patriot means
to love and defend your country, not your government.
When government abuses the powers it has been granted by the people and trashes our Constitution,
American patriots speak out and take action against those abuses. We do not silence the critics. (in our land of liberty and justice for all =this was cut).

For whatever reasons , genetic, birth order, environment, I have been railing against the injustice and unfairness of the world, but very meakly. I give myself all this credit just for mustering a letter! I bet most of us have railed, and like me, most of us get more caught up in the day-to-day of life and don't have the willpower to take action against the darkness. The local newspaper here, The San Francisco Chronicle, details the local daily shooting count, 74 so far this year. It's like Iraq, only it's gangs and robberies. It's nuts. Rats in a cage.

Back when we were idealistic and ignorant (the '70s), we thought we could save the planet from people. It was obvious that the closed ecosystem was the earth, so that was the biota you had to figure out. Sure you can save the banded dune snail or the grizzzly bear for now, but what about when there are 40 billion people. The wars for resources are only going to escalate, and it will be a real doozy when that resource we're fighting for is water.


Phil Caputo wrote in his short story 'Alone' (in Wild Stories)


"We pay a price for a consumer culture such as ours, a culture that demands its instant gratifications.....Our bodies pay a price.....We pay in lowered quality of our moral lives. The more we despoil the less civilized we become.... John Muir wrote that each alpine wildflower was a 'mirror reflecting the Creator.' Maybe you don't believe in a creator, so put it like this: Through that window we can see the grandeur in all creation, from atoms to
galaxies; we can catch at least a transforming glimpse of something bigger than ourselves, something ineffable to remind us that consumption isn't the point of being human."


I love America and what it stands for, the freedom and responsibility to shout out when something seems wrong. I am as guilty as anyone of succumbing to my need for gratification instead of trying to fight for one injustice to be fixed. It seems so overwhelming and hopeless these days, as we read about the raping and killing in Darfur, using half our tax dollars to destroy a country and then try to rebuild it while they try to kill us; the Taliban making a comeback in Afghanistan: Osama bin Laden getting a pedicure in Pakistan: war criminals hiding as faith healers in Serbia: albinos murdered for their 'magical' skin in Tanzania: liars and luddites that think drilling for oil today will change tomorrow's or next year's gas price.


The warning sign regarding dependence on foreign oil was put on the wall by Jimmy Carter and torn down by Reagan, rehung by George HW Bush and torn down by his ineptitudeness GWB. If this is a great country, it is time to see the obvious and start treating the earth as though we can't escape what we do to it. Look at those photos of Beijing; what is going to stop that? Certainly not driving a vehicle named for the Spanish fleet on the Pismo Dunes for fun.

We need visionaries, not status quotians.
These guys are rebuilding their vision with siesta in the garden. 5 benches, 5 siestas. I did not wake them, it was 12:30.

Not sure what set off that 6am ramble, sorry about that. I think I must be feeling guilty because I had such a promising start to being a rabble-rouser, could've been huge, but I only turned into a mild rule-stretcher and really only when it suited me. Get mad global and have a Starbucks local. I am guilty of being ordinary, of committing ordinary acts of self-gratification. I console myself by looking at my two boys and hoping they will do great things, leave the place a little better than it is today, but then, they are playing XBox.

Turns out yesterday was Vincristine day, day 8 of chemo, 2 mg IV push, no big deal. My blood counts remain acceptable, and I was able to roam very freely yesterday, put 11778 steps on the pedometer (I only wear it when I am out walking, but I shuffle about looking at stuff - probably about 6 miles, not 8). My WBC is trending downward, so I expect to be back on the mask today. Dana did not come last night, it would have been ten pm by the time she got here so she stayed in a comfortable bed. I took an Atavan and an Ambien and slept from 11-5, like a baby.

Here is my Prednisone-induced eating schedule:

6:00 am fruit cup from yesterday, coffee

7:30 Breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon, maybe potatoes, a scone, herb tea, coffee

10:00 Oatmeal from breakfast, banana, maybe bagel and cream cheese

12:00 Lunch - eat main course, set aside soup.

2:00 soup and crackers, fruit cup, Gatorade (starting to get hand and feet cramps)

4:30 Main dinner plate, set aside soup and dessert for 7:30.

7:30 Soup, dessert

I've thrown in a mocha from Starbucks the last couple of days, as my coffee consumption is down so much. Feed the Prednisone beast.
In reponse to many questions about Prednisone, this from Wikipedia:

"Prednisone is particularly effective as an immunosuppressant, and affects virtually all of the immune system. It can, therefore, be used in autoimmune diseases, inflammatory diseases (such as severe asthma, severe allergies, severe poison ivy
dermatitis,
systemic lupus erythematosus, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, Bell's Palsy, Crohn's disease, pemphigus and sarcoidosis), various kidney
diseases including
nephrotic syndrome, and to prevent and treat rejection in organ transplantation.
This medicine may also reduce the sex drive. Prednisone has also been used in the treatment of migraine headaches and
cluster headaches."

I just got my Prednisone, it's 9:00 am, I am hooked up to the IV pole getting some potassium, 30 minutes. My WBCs are low enough that I am neutropenic and will have to wear the mask today, but that's alright, it needed to happen. I will change into some walking gear in a minute. I ran out of socks some days ago, so these are walking on their own, just about. Imagine guys walking 100s of miles with no shoes in winter, hauling everything to stay alive, and at the end of that march fighting a battle so that we could have free speech?


DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT Dylan Thomas
Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.


Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Do not go gentle into that good night.


Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


7 comments:

  1. another literary day on the blog, huh?

    what a relief you are doing all that walking meditation, chi gong and yogi vs. the park ranger or you might be apt to get really stuck "in your head" as the woo woo types say.

    though maybe your head is the more peaceful hideout while the big medical guns go after terrorist cells in the pajama-clad zone?

    anyway I shouldn't make fun of you because I have to admit I had that same poem in my head for the past two days...kind of like last time when we both thought "we're goin' fishin', this is Dr. Cheswick" just before you turned into the bull goose looney.
    great minds read alike, I guess.

    though yours was always the greater understanding and appreciation for poetry. I mostly remember the stuff you repeated endlessly to memorize it.
    matches, matches,
    caesar chavez,
    god I wish I had a grape.
    far be it from you to say wanna go down the boathouse bar, get a beer when instead you could say let us go then you and I while the evening is spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon a table. (did I get it right?

    my tastes ran, as you know, more towards californians of armenian descent and artless oversimplification...so in honor of literary reference day, not to mention in hopes of getting your mind off all that roads not ramblered coulda been a rabble rousing contender second guessing we are all prone to but perhaps you more than some,
    I submit the following quote from my own collection of favorites:

    "The writer is a spiritual anarchist, as in the depth of his soul every man is. He is discontented with everything and everybody. The writer is everybody's best friend and only true enemy - the good and great enemy. He neither walks with the multitude nor cheers with them. The writer who is a writer is a rebel who never stops." (from The William Saroyan Reader, 1958)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, while I'd like to totally claim Saroyan's description as me, I have been too long in stasis as a writer, too long content with accepting. Maybe now I can work this harder path, but I may need help from you and Mac, to keep it light and heavy, and not fill a reader with a big tummy and no sustenanc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mac are you around? did the holycow say anything to the effect that our writing somehow makes readers feel like malnourished and displaced children in the tropics?

    will I ever grow up and stop looking up the big words this one throws out just to taunt me?!
    am I still 12 and discreetly attempting to find out what a libidinous bisexual is so I can figure out if I really am one?! (40 years later, I'm pretty sure I'm not. Unfortunately.)

    ok, so you are NOT a writer? another thing I never knew. did you not, a few days ago, compare what is going on in your journey to health to what is going on in our country and the world?

    do you really believe that your story, profoundly personal as either your courage or thick-headedness demands it to be, and told as nobody else could tell it doesn't motivate the rest of us to stick together even if we're sobbing in our tea? read the comments,bud. people are hunting marrow and adopting WBCs. Wimps like me that are phobic about all things club Med are not even skipping the science parts.

    I would like to say it is because we love you. and of course, we do. but if you were in the stasis you're talking about, we would love you without using our finite minutes of good eyesight continuing to read.

    Get Mac back!!! I can't do this on my own--duel, duet, I don't care, I need a little help here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat,
    I know I'm not Mac but wanted to say I love your words! It's a strange community, here at the blog bar, and as sorry as I am about the reason we are all here, I totally love reading the rants, ravings and rememberances.
    Hi John,
    I posted a comment to your rage last week, but apparently I did something wrong because it did not post. Damn, and it took me all day to get it right. I am not as prolific or articulate as you and your cohorts, but I get an A for effort!
    I may try to recreate later but my momentum from Friday has dwindled with spending my day cleaning the garage, comsuming mass quantities of food from the Greek festival and two glasses of chardonay. I feel goooooood! Wish you could feel the same! Hang tough - You will get there!
    Will wait with baited breath until you feel well enough to continue. (Where does that come from "baited breath"?)
    Hi Dana,
    Love you kiddo! I'll be in SLO Wednesday/Thursday this week. Any chance you will be home?
    Love all around,
    Lisa in SB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa!

    thank you very much for saying that. good to know some aren't as tired of the sound of my voice as I get (not that it stops me)

    and I, too, missed my old virtual pals when the blog was in remission (when did you switch from red to chardonnay?!

    I really want to see the day when John starts a new blog...could be our "mash mentality" works best under pressure, still...there must be an easier subject he could run this salon around...

    meanwhile, for a guy who isn't a writer, he sure keeps a lot of us reading, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Answering my own question:
    "The correct spelling is actually bated breath but it’s so common these days to see it written as baited breath that there’s every chance that it will soon become the usual form, to the disgust of conservative speakers and the confusion of dictionary writers. Examples in newspapers and magazines are legion; this one appeared in the Daily Mirror on 12 April 2003: “She hasn’t responded yet but Michael is waiting with baited breath”.
    It’s easy to mock, but there’s a real problem here. Bated and baited sound the same and we no longer use bated (let alone the verb to bate), outside this one set phrase, which has become an idiom. Confusion is almost inevitable. Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe.
    Shakespeare is the first writer known to use it, in The Merchant of Venice, in which Shylock says to Antonio: “Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, / With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness, / Say this ...”. Nearly three centuries later, Mark Twain employed it in Tom Sawyer: “Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale”.
    So to correct my earlier post, I will wait with "bated breath", in this instance caused by awe at how well you write for not being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems many of us are Dylan fans! And perhaps Bob Dylan fans too? Do not go gentle into that good night is one of the few poems I have retained from my love affair with the wild Welshman about 40 years ago. I often hear it in my head and have been repeating it and another like a prayer these past two weeks. Here is the other, in part as I don’t remember the whole:

    At poor peace I sing
    To you strangers, though song is
    A burning and crested act
    The fire of birds in
    The world’s changing wood

    Here I can’t remember the rest accept the end

    Like leaves of trees and as soon
    Crumble and undie
    Into the dogdayed night

    Keep your warrior strong John. He is admirable and implacable with those charging cancer cells.
    BYTW, Prednisone has kept Mac alive and functioning for almost two years. We believe in Prednisone.
    You are loved and held aloft so the angels may keep you safe.
    ChrissieXO

    ReplyDelete