Sunday, May 16, 2010

God

‘God is a concept by which we measure our pain.’ John Lennon

Lennon explained to Rolling Stone that, "pain is the pain we go through all the time," Then added: "You're born in pain. Pain is what we are in most of the time, and I think that the bigger the pain, the more God you look for." Maybe he was right, because I have been thinking about God much more in the last 8 months, trying to reconcile how I felt about God concepts.

I woke up early this morning, and I was tossing around all that I don’t know and can never know about God. Many, many people have offered to pray with me, to offer up their connectivity to God, in an effort to heal me. My brother has enlisted thousands of Hispanic women in southern New Mexico to pray for me, and my Mom has her entire condo complex and her church praying for me. Many of my friends and supporters are praying for my return to health, and I am happy they are all doing so. I feel supported and loved.

In one study reported in the New York Times, being prayed for by strangers made you less healthy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html?_r=1&ei=5070&en=2d2202b52abff4f4&ex=1143954000&pagewanted=print
I do not believe strangers can harm someone by praying for them, but more that the unhealthy person being prayed for feels unhealthier because so many people are praying for them, therefore they are really sick.

I am not a religious person, and I do not intend to offend any of you that are. My concept of God is of an all-knowing, all-powerful and all-present entity, within me, within you, within everything. An incomprehensible entity. When I pray to God, I am asking for the God within me to help me face my fears and guide me in my choices.

I have met people on this journey that seemed to be more connected to God, something in their aura, their empathy. A few were religious, others not. The local chaplain came in when I first went into the hospital recently, and said that he saw I had stated ‘no religion.’ He asked if I was atheist, and I said no, only spiritual. He told me I was agnostic, and that meant I was without knowledge, as ‘gnos’ is the latin root for knowledge. I suppose he is correct, except he said it meant I had no knowledge of Christ.


According to Wikipedia:
Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.

Gnosticism (Greek: γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) refers to diverse, syncretistic religious movements in antiquity consisting of various belief systems generally united in the teaching that the cosmos was created by an imperfect god, the demiurge with some of the supreme God's pneuma; this being is frequently identified with the Abrahamic God, (as opposed to the Gospel according to the Hebrews)

So given that I cannot conceive of an imperfect God, if you must categorize me, call me agnostic. The chaplain also told me that of the major religions, Christianity was the one that offered hope, because they have never found the body of Christ, therefore he still walks among us. I find it hard to believe that in these times, Christ has not spoken up. The chaplain left me with the feeling that he was trying to win an argument, and I disappointed him by not engaging. I did not get any feeling from him that he cared about my soul.

I have met people on this journey that seemed to hold a special connection to the God within us and around us, who had an aura of empathy and of caring. When I was in the hospital a few weeks ago, I had a nurse that was very efficient and very soft-spoken. She knew that I was struggling with my illness, and one morning around 3am she came to take vitals, and I was awake. When she finished her tasks she asked, ‘Will you pray with me?’ I said yes, and she took my hand in hers, and I prayed, ‘God, please grant us the wisdom to save our earth from the ravages of man, to save people from themselves.’ Or something like that. I looked at her and thought, ‘She is an angel!’ She was very beautiful, perfect in every way, Filipina, with hair like silk and tawny skin, almond eyes. In her accented English, she prayed for my healing, and for a place for me in heaven, and closed with an Our Father. I tried to remember that prayer, and mostly succeeded.

When she left I felt she had helped me open the lines to the God within me. I have met other people like her, that seem more connected, and some of those I have met are religious people. The problem I have with religion is not with individuals, it is with a religion’s belief systems. Go forth and multiply; ignore the impact on your planet.

Historically, religion has caused, and still causes, great pain and suffering worldwide. The great religions seem locked in a war to conquer the earth for their belief system, by spreading their word over other words, by killing indigenous peoples with disease, by crusades and inquisitions, by outright wars. When our Christian president declared war on Iraq, based on incorrect information that there were WMDs and a link to Al Qaeda, he ignored ‘Thou shalt not kill.’ He opened Pandora’s Box, and now the Sunnis and the Shiites are killing each other for their religions. The Jewish people have been put through all sorts of misery for their beliefs.

There have been seven years without war worldwide in the last 2000. These wars are fought for property, domination and religion. So I am unable to embrace any religion, but rather just to embrace God as I know God, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, incomprehensible. I thank God for this fabulous planet and this great life, and pray that we don’t destroy it. God created this fantastic universe, with billions of galaxies, trillions of solar systems, and we are supposed to evolve gracefully here on earth, but are struggling. Pray for mankind to wake up and stop the destruction.

Imagine by John Lennon

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

I wrote all that yesterday, and now it is Sunday. I ran a nice fever of 100.8 and had chills last night, and have chills now even though it is 72 degrees in here. I am so weak I can barely get off the toilet. That doesn't matter, par for the course (of chemo), because the Celtics are playing in Orlando in one hour. Go Celtics!


6 comments:

  1. That was an engaging discussion John. I certainly agree with you about the religious battles and wars that appear to continue to overwhelm us. I believe our animalistic impulses remain within us – emerging in an attempt to justify that the strong will survive, even though we appear to be intelligent enough to avoid being overtaken by such primitive temptations and demands. I never cease to be amazed at how stupid and stubborn we can be. Whether it’s our disregard for life or our inability to take action when and where it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that the time for action is long overdue - it mystifies me.

    I have never, nor will I ever, embrace the belief that, should there be a judgment day, such judgment shall be made by one’s religious belief, or lack thereof. I stand by the belief that any judgment possibility, if there is such a thing, will take into account how one lives one’s life and does or does not do good vs. evil. The “born again” contingent, which is so prevalent here in the Southern Bible Belt, so easily dismisses any possibility of after-life recognition of any kind for anyone who has not accepted Jesus as the Messiah. Those beliefs recognize that anyone, for as long as life has existed, will not be offered even the slightest degree of benefit when they find themselves at the end of the road. The idea that all of mankind who came before Jesus, and those whom have not been appropriately converted thereafter, have been or will be condemned to the toilet of the universe is absolutely incomprehensible to me. And yes, I do know those whom believe that way will tell me it’s incomprehensible to me because I’m ignorant. So I suppose the ignorant should also be condemned.

    Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

    It’s just so good for me to see you strong enough to be up, fighting and writing.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. guide me through the night
    make the way bright
    sing your song
    fill my heart
    guide me with your voice
    all that i know
    all that is
    is of the spirit within
    i am not alone
    i am not afraid
    open my heart to the love that abounds

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. John- I'm reading you by candle-light, a fitting metaphor for the little light that boldly burns within us all. That divine light will help guide you in your decision tomorrow, it will feel right and you'll know it to be the right path for you. Remember that we all are in this together- and we're here with you, burning our little candles with hope and trust.
    Sleep peacefully~

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, as always I follow what you write but would never have the patience to entertain all the definitions...I was lucky, considering all the Irish influences on me, to enjoy the storytelling but escape the religious aspects--thanks in part to a priest. this would be the priest came to my grandmother in the projects to shut down her fortunetelling with playing cards. she explained to me he said it was against the rules but the real reason was she was taking business out of the confessionals.
    I figured if they were afraid of her, I wasn't afraid of them.
    In later years when it became my job to accompany her on her rounds of wakes and funerals (Irish social life), I asked why she liked going to church so much when she didn't want to follow the rules.
    she said, "I follow the rules, the ones I like."
    Always great with the answers. to absence makes the heart grow fonder: yeah, bullshit makes the grass grow greener.
    to how do you read the cards: I lay them out and then pretend I'm looking at them...
    probably one of my great spiritual teachers--before even Saroyan, Woody Guthrie or Bugs Bunny.
    I am sure your forays into natural settings connect you to the force, just as my mermaid time does for me.
    not to deny or minimize the effects of pain, but whatever makes us dance in spite of it, keep writing through it, or laugh in the face of it is spiritual enough for me--speaking of witch, thanks for the bama furniture comment last post. I am learning not to drink while I read.
    (the other) pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can we understand life when it seems impossible to comprehend infinity which is our true environment.We are taught at an early age 1+1=2.The quicker we get and apply this type of thinking the smarter we are.This works great when pushing matter through three dimensional space.Just don't look up. Maybe we should suggest to our children at an early age they are part of an infinite universe no beginning no end no one. a cell in the body of god. part of everything.Call me pantheistic but I believe we are all connected.Yes I feel prayer,faith,love and compassion can be very powerful medicine and I will continue to send them your way. Love Earl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earl, you said what I meant in a way that I can hear, all cells in the body of God.

    ReplyDelete